Steam for Linux > Limited Beta > Topic Details
DarkStarSword Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:12pm
Issue Report: Steam text fields don't initially respond to keyboard in wmii
In the latest mercurial head of wmii (https://code.google.com/p/wmii/), selecting any text field in Steam doesn't seem to work initially until the mouse is moved off the Steam window and back onto it.

This seems to occur on (almost?) all text fields, confirmed on:
- The product code field in the 'activate a product on steam' dialog
- Text fields in the browser. e.g. the store search field
- The search field in the library tab

One text field where it doesn't occur is in the set launch options dialog - however I'd guess that is because that field has the focus by default in that window and the window doesn't open underneath the mouse cursor - if I deselect that text field then it exhibits the same behaviour when I click it again.

All other widgets seem to work correctly (except for the menus, which is already reported here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/1/846938350833390522/).


I've noticed one other clue that might help explain what is going on - after moving the mouse onto a Steam window from elsewhere the main menu's get slightly brighter (for the main window, or the title + focussed widget if it's a dialog box), however they dim again as soon as I click anywhere in the window (doesn't have to be a text field) and will only go bright again if I move the mouse off and back on the window.

That makes me think Steam thinks it has lost the focus when I click in it's window and only realises that it does have the focus when it regains it after moving the mouse back into the window.

I have not seen this or similar behaviour in any other application under wmii.



Here's the system information of one of my machines - I also see the same issue on other machines, but they all have a similar software setup (Debian testing or unstable + wmii compiled from source + a bunch of my own custom plugins for wmii available from https://github.com/DarkStarSword/wmii-config).

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 1600 Mhz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid) (32 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 3.7.0-rc6-ian+
X Server vendor: The X.Org Foundation
X Server release: 11204000

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA Corporation Quadro FX 880M/PCIe/SSE2

Driver Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0xa3c
Number of Monitors: 2
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
Primary Display Resolution: 1600 x 1200
Desktop Resolution: 3200 x 1200
Primary Display Size: 15.75" x 11.81" (19.69" diag)
40.0cm x 30.0cm (50.0cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x 16x

Sound card:
Audio device: Conexant CX20585

Memory:
RAM: 3897 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
Microphone: Not set
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 413250 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 152017 Mb

Installed software:

Recent Failure Reports:
Tue Dec 11 01:00:50 2012 GMT: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20121211120046_1.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-9cfa8ae4-9117-43e6-810e-def3d2121210''

Last edited by DarkStarSword; Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:18pm
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
< >
DarkStarSword Jan 8, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Sweet, this seems to have been fixed in the latest update, along with the menu issue.
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50