Steam for Linux > Limited Beta > Topic Details
FrEnK Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:23am
Successfully using Steam on Fedora 18
For those who are invited to test Steam you can install it on Fedora systems: https://plus.google.com/112917221531140868607/posts/91pCQGgpf9p

download the .repo file, to enable the repo on your system:
$ su -
# cp /home/{yourUsername}/{yourDownloadDir}/steam.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/
# yum update
# yum install steam

additionally, if you want to try Steam Big Picture on your system, you have to do this before:

# setsebool -P selinuxuser_execheap 1

I can confirm that it is working very fine on my Fedora 18 x86_64 system.
Actually using nouveau drivers, switching to akmod-nvidia-304 very soon and check differences.
akmod-nvidia-310 still not available on rpmfusion.

Now downloading:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery
Team Fortress 2
Trine 2
(None of this games have been tested yet on my configuration)

Games with invalid app config:
Braid
Limbo
Psychonauts
Last edited by FrEnK; Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:34am
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
mikeym Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:26am 
It may not be sensible from a package management standpoint (I don't really know what the implications are in terms of how package upgrades will happen or whether the akmod will work properly when the kernel is updated) but I'm using akmod-nvidia-310 from rawhide:

sudo yum remove akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
sudo yum --nogpgcheck --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
Last edited by mikeym; Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:28am
Wildbillcat Dec 9, 2012 @ 6:06am 
Thank for the post!
Q-Ball Dec 10, 2012 @ 4:14pm 
Trying to run on Fedora 17 x64...Steam attempts to update and then crashes on me. Am I doing it wrong, or did something get broken in Steam itself?
immanetize Dec 10, 2012 @ 4:59pm 
Originally posted by mikeym:
It may not be sensible from a package management standpoint (I don't really know what the implications are in terms of how package upgrades will happen or whether the akmod will work properly when the kernel is updated) but I'm using akmod-nvidia-310 from rawhide:

sudo yum remove akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
sudo yum --nogpgcheck --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

akmod packages are intended to 'fill in the gap' between when a kernel is released and the relevant module (kmod) is released for that kernel. You shouldn't have any issues with kernel updates due to using an akmod.

That said, rawhide is intended mostly for testing purposes. You should either know what you are doing or be prepared for the consequences of breakage.
mikeym Dec 10, 2012 @ 5:16pm 
@immanetize, yes that's right but I'm not sure if yum will be able to find the akmod package again to reinstall it when the kernel is updated as normally happens.
immanetize Dec 10, 2012 @ 5:50pm 
Originally posted by mikeym:
@immanetize, yes that's right but I'm not sure if yum will be able to find the akmod package again to reinstall it when the kernel is updated as normally happens.

This isn't twitter - nothing special happens with @handle.

Yum will update the kernel, the akmod will already be installed. You'll have that akmod until a newer package comes in an enabled repo. If there isn't a module built for the kernel you've booted, it is the akmod's job to build that module at runtime. The package is not reinstalled, the module is rebuilt.
FrEnK Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:26am 
Originally posted by Q-Ball:
Trying to run on Fedora 17 x64...Steam attempts to update and then crashes on me. Am I doing it wrong, or did something get broken in Steam itself?
Check if SELinux is giving you some errors
Hizeph Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:29pm 
Thanks! It's running fine on Fedora 17 x86_64, except the Big Picture
Hizeph Dec 11, 2012 @ 7:10pm 
To enable Big Picture, i had to ran "#setsebool -P allow_execheap 1" instead of your suggestion, hope it helps somebody else.
zenitur Dec 12, 2012 @ 7:39am 
Games with invalid app config:

SpaceChem. Screenshot[img717.imageshack.us].
immanetize Dec 12, 2012 @ 7:48am 
Originally posted by Hizeph:
To enable Big Picture, i had to ran "#setsebool -P allow_execheap 1" instead of your suggestion, hope it helps somebody else.


Steam developers: This is a clear sign you are doing something wrong. Please read http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/6117.html?thread=23525 for more insight - and use the SELinux mailing list if you can't figure out what's going on here. I will *never* be changing SELinux booleans for a game - and I shouldn't have to.
mikeym Dec 12, 2012 @ 9:45am 
Originally posted by immanetize:
Steam developers: This is a clear sign you are doing something wrong. Please read http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/6117.html?thread=23525 for more insight - and use the SELinux mailing list if you can't figure out what's going on here. I will *never* be changing SELinux booleans for a game - and I shouldn't have to.

I'd also just like to link in my previous bug report about this issue:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/882965737464751400/
Bai Hui Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:33am 
mikeym, you should make a bug report in the limited beta forum and use the correct template (Issue report : etc.). I don't think the devs are reading this part of the forum. I also experience the same bug, but I won't have access to my computer soon, so I cannot report it.
hyoko Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:38am 
Originally posted by Q-Ball:
Trying to run on Fedora 17 x64...Steam attempts to update and then crashes on me. Am I doing it wrong, or did something get broken in Steam itself?
Same here. I'm using nvidia .run installer.
Recoil_84 Dec 14, 2012 @ 8:13pm 
I'm up and running well on F17 x64. I don't understand why the NVIDIA 310 driver isn't in the RPMFusion repo though. Does anyone know why? Is there another repo that has it?
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50