[LINUX]FinCoder Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:06am
Crytek engine coming Linux ? Source included
http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/2836/crytek-announces-next-version-of-cryengine.html

"Crytek has revealed its next iteration of the CryEngine, which will support development on the current slate of consoles as well as the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii U and the PC. They also plan to add additional platforms to the engine in the future."
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Aug 21, 2013 @ 3:18pm 
Damn, Damn!

This and 2012 is the Year Of Linux so far! What's next, Rockstart porting GTA V to Linux?
blackout24 Aug 21, 2013 @ 3:55pm 
Rockstar loves ♥♥♥♥♥♥ consoles way to much.
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Aug 21, 2013 @ 4:11pm 
So what? Crytec (which has an engine that is a lot better than RockStar's) is porting, shouldn't be so difficult. Add the fact that they program for PS3 and BOOM, if they want, GTA on Linux =)

I'm not asking for it in the next months, but it would be nice to even know if they have such an idea
LOLCAT Aug 21, 2013 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by AbartigerNorbert:
Rockstar loves ♥♥♥♥♥♥ consoles way to much.
They'll be in trouble when the steambox arrives and they'll have to love linux...
Last edited by LOLCAT; Aug 21, 2013 @ 4:30pm
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Aug 21, 2013 @ 4:46pm 
Originally posted by LOLCAT:
Originally posted by AbartigerNorbert:
Rockstar loves ♥♥♥♥♥♥ consoles way to much.
They'll be in trouble when the steambox arrives and they'll have to love linux...
Jee, I gorgot about that. Really good point!
UraniumDeer Aug 21, 2013 @ 5:14pm 
If SteamBox is using Linux kernel, and OpenGL, and PS4 is using modified FreeBSD kernel (iirc), and OpenGL, then porting of the games should be a walk in the park. And if SteamBox is using standard Linux components, then the rest should be a matter of repackaging, and maybe dependencies - right? Unless of course it's completely created for controllers, in witch case, repackaging SteamBox-games for other distros, would suck quite a bit, if one prefers mouse and keyboard.
Pocket Aug 21, 2013 @ 8:52pm 
Crytek is owned by EA now, though, so anything they produce would be Origin-exclusive anyway.
Citiroller Aug 22, 2013 @ 5:01am 
I think that Linux will become more popular ion the next 5 years and until then very much great games will be ported to linux
Sirik Aug 22, 2013 @ 6:20am 
yay, maybe eventually another 2 or 3 games (Crysis) will be removed from my windows install and put on my linux install. Linux needs more AAA games
blackout24 Aug 22, 2013 @ 7:05am 
Originally posted by UraniumDeer:
If SteamBox is using Linux kernel, and OpenGL, and PS4 is using modified FreeBSD kernel (iirc), and OpenGL, then porting of the games should be a walk in the park. And if SteamBox is using standard Linux components, then the rest should be a matter of repackaging, and maybe dependencies - right? Unless of course it's completely created for controllers, in witch case, repackaging SteamBox-games for other distros, would suck quite a bit, if one prefers mouse and keyboard.

I once read that this isn't entirely true. Console never really used plain OpenGL so porting isn't that straight forward.
Alpaca Rotorvator Aug 22, 2013 @ 8:51am 
Originally posted by Gordon Frohman:
Crytek is owned by EA now, though, so anything they produce would be Origin-exclusive anyway.
That's what got me completely uninterested. EA coming to Linux and nothing coming to Linux is the same to me.
instabilis Aug 22, 2013 @ 9:01am 
Originally posted by Alpaccalypse Now:
Originally posted by Gordon Frohman:
Crytek is owned by EA now, though, so anything they produce would be Origin-exclusive anyway.
That's what got me completely uninterested. EA coming to Linux and nothing coming to Linux is the same to me.
Every developer that uses the CryEngine is forced into publishing their games with EA?
Alpaca Rotorvator Aug 22, 2013 @ 9:13am 
Originally posted by instabilis:
Originally posted by Alpaccalypse Now:
That's what got me completely uninterested. EA coming to Linux and nothing coming to Linux is the same to me.
Every developer that uses the CryEngine is forced into publishing their games with EA?
Not at all, AFAIK, I got that one wrong. From what I've researched right now it's not even the case that EA owns Crytek, but some other form of relationship, which changes everything.
So I take back what I said earlier, that is quite interesting.
sh4nks Aug 22, 2013 @ 10:16am 
Originally posted by Gordon Frohman:
Crytek is owned by EA now, though, so anything they produce would be Origin-exclusive anyway.

iso source plx.

Originally posted by Alpaccalypse Now:
Not at all, AFAIK, I got that one wrong. From what I've researched right now it's not even the case that EA owns Crytek, but some other form of relationship, which changes everything.
So I take back what I said earlier, that is quite interesting.

This according to Wikipedia[en.wikipedia.org].
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:06am
Posts: 15