[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Jun 30, 2013 @ 5:48pm
For those of you who use Wine
Any tutorials on how to configure wine for specific games, like dx9, dx10 etc?

I read people talking about Winebottle but I couldn't get a satisfactory answer on how to do that.
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
d10sfan Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:01pm 
I would recommend using PlayOnLinux, because it helps alot with downloading wine versions, setting up bottles/prefixes, etc.

What sort of games are you wanting to try?

By the way, no DX10 game will work on Wine currently, only dx9 is supported
Doc Holliday Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:03pm 
Originally posted by =(eG)= d10sfan:
I would recommend using PlayOnLinux, because it helps alot with downloading wine versions, setting up bottles/prefixes, etc.

What sort of games are you wanting to try?

By the way, no DX10 game will work on Wine currently, only dx9 is supported
DX10 and DX11 is being worked on now by CodeWeavers
Last edited by Doc Holliday; Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:04pm
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:09pm 
Well, the list is:

COD MW2
GRID
LEFT4DEAD2
CSGO
GTA IV
GTA SA
GTA VC
GTA III
Crysis
Race07
Portal 2
And Crysis 2 which I own on Origin.

I know dx10 games won't work WHILE IN DX10 mode, that's why I need to configure them to run at dx9.
Doc Holliday Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:26pm 
Originally posted by Linux Junior s2 Camila:
Well, the list is:

COD MW2
GRID
LEFT4DEAD2
CSGO
GTA IV
GTA SA
GTA VC
GTA III
Crysis
Race07
Portal 2
And Crysis 2 which I own on Origin.

I know dx10 games won't work WHILE IN DX10 mode, that's why I need to configure them to run at dx9.
CodeWeavers or PlayOnLinux as said by =(eG)= d10sfan far as i know all of them run in DX9 Origin is Junk
Last edited by Doc Holliday; Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:27pm
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Jun 30, 2013 @ 6:29pm 
Origin is junk but I bought Crysis 2 for 8 bucks =)

I'll research if I have to uninstall my current Wine (1.6) to install playonlinux.
LOLCAT Jun 30, 2013 @ 11:32pm 
Originally posted by Linux Junior s2 Camila:
Well, the list is:

COD MW2
GRID
LEFT4DEAD2
CSGO
GTA IV
GTA SA
GTA VC
GTA III
Crysis
Race07
Portal 2
And Crysis 2 which I own on Origin.

I know dx10 games won't work WHILE IN DX10 mode, that's why I need to configure them to run at dx9.
Most of these won't run at an acceptable frame rate unless you have a super ultra mega high-end pc (at least 4 CPU cores running @ higher than 4GHz + powerful gaming video card). The performance hit in wine is huge, very huge. Just download a trial version of windows from MS and install it into a separate partition.
`][`arron: Linux Jul 1, 2013 @ 12:38am 
I use playonlinux and winehq, games that i play under wine are
Skyrim
Torchlight 2
Rage
Tomb Rader
Civilization 5
Worms Revolution
Walking Dead (telltale)
Alan Wake

But as LOLCAT said, you do need a half decent rig for these games as you do take a hit on performance, but all these games ran fine for me when using winehq for help
rig is: i5 2500k, 8gb (ddr3 16000), gtx 570 soc
damn_pastor Jul 1, 2013 @ 2:34am 
All sourcengine games should work very flawlessly. GTA 4 is working on wine too, but it has some framedrops related to the open sea. Just try them out with wine, there is not so much about tweaking wine, more about tweaking gfx settings ingame. :)
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:12am 
Originally posted by LOLCAT:
Most of these won't run at an acceptable frame rate unless you have a super ultra mega high-end pc (at least 4 CPU cores running @ higher than 4GHz + powerful gaming video card). The performance hit in wine is huge, very huge. Just download a trial version of windows from MS and install it into a separate partition.
Idk, for me most games I listed work better on Wine than on Windows, it's even possible to change from "High" to "Very High", on Crysis for example, with the same frame rate. The problem is some games crashing at some points. On crysis2 the game will crash when you wake up and need to brake the padlock. On Crysis it crashes right after "Press any key to continue" but the frame rate is noticeably higher than on Windows.

On the other hand, CSGO runs at about 20fps. That's why some people configure Wine for specific games, I just don't know HOW to do so.

I do plan to install Windows 8 and keep legally validating it every 180 days for free if Wine doesn't give me what I want though.
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:13am 
Originally posted by damn_pastor:
All sourcengine games should work very flawlessly. GTA 4 is working on wine too, but it has some framedrops related to the open sea. Just try them out with wine, there is not so much about tweaking wine, more about tweaking gfx settings ingame. :)
I'm hoping people who use Wine to teach me how to properly do so =)
For example, make all games Start with Dx9 since GTA 4 starts with a black screen for me.
HumbleLinux Jul 1, 2013 @ 7:00am 
you are looking for this sir: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/
[Linux] frankweslar Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:13am 
Left4Dead2 is available on linux ;)
`][`arron: Linux Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:19am 
Originally posted by Linux frankweslar:
Left4Dead2 is available on linux ;)
Only the Beta, I want to join everyone else :(
Fibbles Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:34am 
Use PlayOnLinux to manage your Wine bottles (and if need be multiple Wine versions). Just don't bother with their easy install scripts because most of them are out of date / useless.

If the specific game you want to run doesn't work out of the box check out the Wine App DB[appdb.winehq.org]. The comments section for each application usually contains a wealth of knowledge on tweaks and such to get stubborn programs running.

A very basic guide to setting up a Wine bottle in POL:

- Install PlayOnLinux (the Ubuntu Software Centre version works well enough).

- Open POL, click 'Tools', click 'Manage Wine Versions'.

- Install a version of Wine. I'd recommend trying the latest first. Also, most games are 32bit(x86) so just go with that unless you know you need 64bit(AMD64) for that specific game.

- Go back to the main window, click 'Configure'.

- In the popup click 'New' (bottom left) to create a new Wine bottle.

- Click your Wine bottle in the left-hand pane to select it and then go to the 'Install Packages' tab. This is essentially a GUI for WineTricks. Use it to install any odd libraries that your game or its installer require. They'll be mentioned on the Wine App DB[appdb.winehq.org].

- Click the 'Miscellaneous' tab. Click ' Run an .exe in this virtual drive'. Select your game's installer.

- Once your game is installed, depending on the installer, there may or may not be a useable shortcut to the game. Go to the 'General' tab and click 'Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive'.

Last edited by Fibbles; Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:37am
[Linux] Junior s2 Camila Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:22pm 
Thank you Fibbles, I'll try that.
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 30, 2013 @ 5:48pm
Posts: 27