Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 7:29am
[Linux] Mouse accel doesn't work under Steam
Operating System(s): Ubuntu Studio (XFCE 4.10 desktop) 12.10 x64 bit, Ubuntu Main (with Unity desktop) 12.04.2 LTS x64 bit
Kernel(s): 3.5.0-* lowlatency, 3.5.0-* generic
Issue: despite many setting changes, accel does not work under Steam
Reproduction steps: all of the available mouse settings, xset <value> <value> command

Hi all,

since I couldn't find a suitable place to post this in I'm posting here.

Despite my many attempts at getting mouse accel to work under Steam it failed. It simply does not work. On the desktop the mouse runs blazing fast but under Steam to no avail.

Somehow, Steam is unable to adopt desktop settings. Even though the option to access mouse data directly is checked, acceleration isn't taken into account.

To many, like myself, it plays a crucial role, as in first person shooters e.g. acting swiftly to your environment saves lives, while without it movements are slow. Mouse accel is of high importance in many strategy games as well, but that needs no further discussion.

Many people including me heavily rely on mouse accel. This needs to be fixed ASAP.
Last edited by Korben; Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:08am
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Shark Feb 27, 2013 @ 9:49am 
Imo mouse acceleration is a horrible thing, but I have a mouse with 3600 dpi. Raw input will always be more accurate.
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:07am 
Look, just because some pro jerks don't use accel doesn't mean the rest of the world have to follow like obedient sheep. Some people actually prefer mouse accel, I'm one of them. It worked before, why removing it from the game now?

I'm used to this type of gameplay for years and all of a sudden it's gone? Are they nuts?!

Do not force your "mouse accel isn't good for you" on me, I'm NOT forcing anybody to use it.

I just demand the game to be preserved as it was. Mouse accel is an OPTION, not mandatory (!) and as such should stay in the game as a toggle option. Those who don't like it simply turn it off just like 'till now.

Originally posted by gutigen o) Linux:
Imo mouse acceleration is a horrible thing, but I have a mouse with 3600 dpi. Raw input will always be more accurate.

Actually for me it works quite well and I am of the opinion, that it is far from horrible. Just because something doesn't work for you it doesn't work out for the rest of the world? How about stop being selfish.
Last edited by Korben; Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:19am
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:20am 
What I said I said because most people say "mouse accel is bad!" just because they have idols who play without it so automatically what they use is sacred and everything else sucks.
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:28am 
Ya and one more thing,

with this "raw input" which they forced upon us I have no other option than to play without accel, because when I untick that option mouse movements are choppy, the game is unplayable for me. I cannot even do a steady turn.

Good job on ruining the game and taking away what was left of the fun.

I'd appreciate if someone could point me to the page where I can file a bug report, because the game is unplayable for me.
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:30am 
Originally posted by gutigen o) Linux:
Originally posted by Inoki:
What I said I said because most people say "mouse accel is bad!" just because they have idols who play without it so automatically what they use is sacred and everything else sucks.

Well, there are best in world for a reason :)
It's like saying "I'm not going to play like Ronaldo, cause he sucks..." lol
If someone is better then you, his playstyle is worth checking imo.
Anyway I hate mouse acceleration in games not because some jerk (like you like to call them) is using it, but because my aiming skills goes 1000% up when acceleration is off. But hey, that's me :)

You know what's the difference? I accept people who don't use accel. I don't force them to use it.

So WHY THE F* do people force me not to use it? Is that fair? Is it fair to remove it?

Answer me this.
Last edited by Korben; Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:30am
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:38am 
Do you use Virtual program for Linux?
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:44am 
Originally posted by Jamebonds1:
Do you use Virtual program for Linux?

Nope, I'm running Steam on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS x64 bit. Everything works alright, all but what I need most in first person shooters, mouse acceleration.

When I untick "raw input" under mouse settings I cannot even move.
Last edited by Korben; Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:44am
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:45am 
Originally posted by Inoki:
Originally posted by Jamebonds1:
Do you use Virtual program for Linux?

Nope, I'm running Steam on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS x64 bit. Everything works alright, all but what I need most in first person shooters, mouse acceleration.

When I untick "raw input" under mouse settings I cannot even move.

hmm...what is mouse brand do you use? Please given the specs of your mouse like ms, DPI, etc.
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:56am 
http://tinyw.in/LUML here the folks confirmed, that this is a known bug, so I filed my report there.

My mouse is an older, but reliable Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1.1A model, which isn't developed anymore, but I got used to it over all those years. I prefer it over any Razer or whatever mice selling these days.

If you use something for many years you get used to it and can utilize it better than any fancy over-expensive toy if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Korben; Feb 27, 2013 @ 12:00pm
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:58am 
Originally posted by Inoki:
http://tinyw.in/LUMLhttp://tinyw.in/LUML here the folks confirmed, that this is a known bug, so I filed my report there.

My mouse is an older, but reliable Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1.1A model, which isn't developed anymore, but I got used to it over all those years. I prefer it over any Razer or whatever mice selling these days.

If you use something for many years you get used to it and can utilize it better than any fancy over-expensive toy if you know what I mean.

What is that link?
Korben Feb 27, 2013 @ 11:59am 
Originally posted by Jamebonds1:
Originally posted by Inoki:
http://tinyw.in/LUMLhttp://tinyw.in/LUML here the folks confirmed, that this is a known bug, so I filed my report there.

My mouse is an older, but reliable Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1.1A model, which isn't developed anymore, but I got used to it over all those years. I prefer it over any Razer or whatever mice selling these days.

If you use something for many years you get used to it and can utilize it better than any fancy over-expensive toy if you know what I mean.

What is that link?

The link to GitHub as recommended by gutigen a few posts before yours.
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 27, 2013 @ 12:13pm 
Originally posted by Inoki:
Originally posted by Jamebonds1:

What is that link?

The link to GitHub as recommended by gutigen a few posts before yours.

ah. So you running Linus direct to hard drive?
Paradroid Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
Hi
I have rather the other problem here. Xorg seems just to have a 1:1 unaccelerated speed for precision movement, which is used if you move your pointer fewer pixels than the xset m treshold variable. Above this acceleration kicks in. So for you xset m 18/10 1 would mean you would have a acceleration of 1.8 all the time.
The raw input just does not disable accceleration for me somehow and makes just the input choppy, you can try the filter mouse checkbox but then you will notice you have acceleration again. Somehow this just seems a problem with high resolution mice. So i would like to have the same constant mouse speed like in windows but that just seems impossible to achieve with linux. I am far away from beeing a pro but with linux i cannot even make one headshot anymore. Something just seems very broken...
Korben Mar 29, 2013 @ 11:13am 
Originally posted by Paradroid:
Hi
I have rather the other problem here. Xorg seems just to have a 1:1 unaccelerated speed for precision movement, which is used if you move your pointer fewer pixels than the xset m treshold variable. Above this acceleration kicks in. So for you xset m 18/10 1 would mean you would have a acceleration of 1.8 all the time.
The raw input just does not disable accceleration for me somehow and makes just the input choppy, you can try the filter mouse checkbox but then you will notice you have acceleration again. Somehow this just seems a problem with high resolution mice. So i would like to have the same constant mouse speed like in windows but that just seems impossible to achieve with linux. I am far away from beeing a pro but with linux i cannot even make one headshot anymore. Something just seems very broken...
You should make a separate post for this and put it to GitHub where they can actually have a look.
Paradroid Mar 30, 2013 @ 12:58pm 
Originally posted by Inoki:
Originally posted by Paradroid:
Hi
I have rather the other problem here. Xorg seems just to have a 1:1 unaccelerated speed for precision movement, which is used if you move your pointer fewer pixels than the xset m treshold variable. Above this acceleration kicks in. So for you xset m 18/10 1 would mean you would have a acceleration of 1.8 all the time.
The raw input just does not disable accceleration for me somehow and makes just the input choppy, you can try the filter mouse checkbox but then you will notice you have acceleration again. Somehow this just seems a problem with high resolution mice. So i would like to have the same constant mouse speed like in windows but that just seems impossible to achieve with linux. I am far away from beeing a pro but with linux i cannot even make one headshot anymore. Something just seems very broken...
You should make a separate post for this and put it to GitHub where they can actually have a look.

Sound strange but it is now working fine, but i tried much tweaks and i do not really know what did it, maybe even a client update did it. Now i activate the raw input in source based games and set the accel to 1, then everything is just fine. Still i remeber doing much more headies back the good old days but i guess that is now just the practise i miss ;(. But the mouse movement now feels good even in blue shift i tried today.

A big thank you to Valve for Steam on Linux, because i really think they fixed that mouse issue while i was mentioning it.
Last edited by Paradroid; Mar 30, 2013 @ 12:59pm
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 27, 2013 @ 7:29am
Posts: 15