drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:24am
Will there ever be a real Steam for LINUX client/installer?
Ubuntu is Linux, but Linux is NOT Ubuntu. It really would be nice to finally see a generic Linux installer for Steam (either a .run file or an executable that can download the client, etc). I like Steam a lot better than Desura, but Valve could learn a thing or two from them. They have a single executable file, that installs their client. It sets up symbolic links for any libs already on the system, and any that are missing or are not the correct version, it will use it's own static libs. It is a brilliant design and it works very well, regardless of the distro. I don't understand why Steam cannot do something similar, instead of only offering a .deb package. I personally can't stand Ubuntu and will probablly never switch to it. I have been using openSUSE for around 10 years now, and I find it superior to Ubuntu in almost every way. Yes, I know that there are comminity packages available, but that is not the same thing. The package for my version is broken and missing a dependancy. But those kinds of things happen when there is not an official Steam client package for any other disto other than Ubuntu. I have a very hard time believing that I am alone in my desire for non-Ubuntu packages or a real Steam for LINUX client installer.
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
< >
blackout24 Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:30am 
There is a *.tar.gz available. Most popular distros have repackaged it already for their repos.

On Arch Linux you simiply do:
pacman -S steam

Done. What more of a real installer could you wish for?
CarrotDick Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:47am 
WHAT?! Good god no.

What Linux system are you on that doesn't have a package manager? And isn't compatible with tar.gz releases?
blackout24 Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:56am 
If your distro is unable to maintain an official package for steam then it seems they are simply not interested in it. Other distros can do it, too. Why don't you maintain it?
Last edited by blackout24; Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:57am
drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:58am 
Well, I think I was fairly specific with the original post lol. Either way, on the official Steam page, there is nothing available but the .deb package. I already mentioned that I am aware that there are other packages available from the community, but that is not quite the same thing. Even though a .tar.gz is very different than an installation package, I would still be quite happy to find that on the Official Steam page. I am more than capable of downloading the .deb package and extracting the binaries from it, or repackaging it, but again, that isn't really the point. If you click on the install steam button at the top of the page on the Steam website, you should be able to get an installable package, regardless of your distro. On Windows you get an .msi file, which any Windows user can install. On Linux you get an Ubuntu .deb package, regardless if you are running Ubuntu or not, along with a push to install Ubuntu lol. It is a matter of convenience, fairness and plain principle.
SUSEd Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:03am 
Steam can be installed via steam.sh from .tar.gz file without package.
1) Create folder for steam.
2) Poot steam.sh into this folder.
3) Launch steam.sh.
It will download all needed files.
4) Login && install games && play.

Same as on windows where you can get steam installation from steam.exe and steam.dll files.
Last edited by SUSEd; Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:05am
blackout24 Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:17am 
Originally posted by drakkar123:
Well, I think I was fairly specific with the original post lol. Either way, on the official Steam page, there is nothing available but the .deb package. I already mentioned that I am aware that there are other packages available from the community, but that is not quite the same thing. Even though a .tar.gz is very different than an installation package, I would still be quite happy to find that on the Official Steam page. I am more than capable of downloading the .deb package and extracting the binaries from it, or repackaging it, but again, that isn't really the point. If you click on the install steam button at the top of the page on the Steam website, you should be able to get an installable package, regardless of your distro. On Windows you get an .msi file, which any Windows user can install. On Linux you get an Ubuntu .deb package, regardless if you are running Ubuntu or not, along with a push to install Ubuntu lol. It is a matter of convenience, fairness and plain principle.

No there should not be installable packages regardless of distro on the Steam website.
1. Steam has support for Ubuntu only for obvious reasons. Period.
2. No one installs software by visiting websites anyway. This is for Windows users trying out Steam on Linux. They see a download Ubuntu Link and Steam Installer for Ubuntu. Nothing more. Pretty simply and straight forward for beginners.
3. If you are already on distro X you'd search your own repos first anyway. There you'll find a repackaged client. Why would you care about there only being a *.deb package available on Steam?
Last edited by blackout24; Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:18am
drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:18am 
Originally posted by shished.tux.sus:
Steam can be installed via steam.sh from .tar.gz file without package.
1) Create folder for steam.
2) Poot steam.sh into this folder.
3) Launch steam.sh.
It will download all needed files.
4) Login && install games && play.

Same as on windows where you can get steam installation from steam.exe and steam.dll files.

Do you happen to have a link for the file?
SUSEd Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:21am 
drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:24am 
Originally posted by shished.tux.sus:
http://pastebin.com/91HA9R8V

Thank you.
drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:36am 
Originally posted by t.jp Linux:
Originally posted by drakkar123:
Well, I think I was fairly specific with the original post lol. Either way, on the official Steam page, there is nothing available but the .deb package. I already mentioned that I am aware that there are other packages available from the community, but that is not quite the same thing. Even though a .tar.gz is very different than an installation package, I would still be quite happy to find that on the Official Steam page. I am more than capable of downloading the .deb package and extracting the binaries from it, or repackaging it, but again, that isn't really the point. If you click on the install steam button at the top of the page on the Steam website, you should be able to get an installable package, regardless of your distro. On Windows you get an .msi file, which any Windows user can install. On Linux you get an Ubuntu .deb package, regardless if you are running Ubuntu or not, along with a push to install Ubuntu lol. It is a matter of convenience, fairness and plain principle.

No there should not be installable packages regardless of distro on the Steam website.
1. Steam has support for Ubuntu only for obvious reasons. Period.
2. No one installs software by visiting websites anyway. This is for Windows users trying out Steam on Linux. They see a download Ubuntu Link and Steam Installer for Ubuntu. Nothing more. Pretty simply and straight forward for beginners.
3. If you are already on distro X you'd search your own repos first anyway. There you'll find a repackaged client. Why would you care about there only being a *.deb package available on Steam?

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. Steam is commercial software and commercial software is not always distributed in distro repositories. In fact, it usually isn't, with a few exceptions.

I am not sure what the obvious reason is, that you are referring to, but the only obvious reasons I can think of are-

1. Either Canonical has given Valve financial incentive not to officially support any other distro except Ubuntu.

or 2. Valve plans to use Ubuntu in their upcoming "Steam Box" and has chosen to only be concerned with that platform.

Neither would surprise me, and to be honest, I wouldn't blame Valve for either reason. They are a business after all. But I still don't think it would require much effort on their part to release a distro neutral installer.
slouken Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:53am 
curl -O http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/archive/precise/steam_latest.tar.gz
tar xvf steam_latest.tar.gz
cd steam
./steam

Or, if you want to install it...
sudo make install

Done!

Or, as some people have mentioned, most distributions now include Steam in their package repos, so you can just look there.
Cosmo Feb 24, 2013 @ 1:58am 
I agree with t.jp, on Linux, you /shouldn't/ be installing from downloads, using package managers instead is one of the reasons Linux has less viruses, it's just safer, I would, however, be pleased if the installation link could open a 'default' package manager and initiate a search, though I don't know if package managers are defaulted in the same way browsers are.

I have actually wondered why Valve chose Ubuntu. Admittedly I'm not the most profficient Linux user, and I know my story isn't common, but I've found Ubuntu fairly buggy, compared to Mint, but I'm not really in a fair position to compare, having a years gap between using each distro. anyway, exactly what are the reasons for Valve choosing Ubuntu?

drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 2:07am 
Originally posted by slouken:
curl -O http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/archive/precise/steam_latest.tar.gz
tar xvf steam_latest.tar.gz
cd steam
./steam

Or, if you want to install it...
sudo make install

Done!

Or, as some people have mentioned, most distributions now include Steam in their package repos, so you can just look there.

Thank you. I actually did find this already, just before I read your post lol. It sure would be nice if this was at least on the main steam for linux page though.
gutigen o) Feb 24, 2013 @ 2:21am 
Originally posted by drakkar123:
Originally posted by slouken:
curl -O http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/archive/precise/steam_latest.tar.gz
tar xvf steam_latest.tar.gz
cd steam
./steam

Or, if you want to install it...
sudo make install

Done!

Or, as some people have mentioned, most distributions now include Steam in their package repos, so you can just look there.

Thank you. I actually did find this already, just before I read your post lol. It sure would be nice if this was at least on the main steam for linux page though.

Imagine amount of newbies flooding Steam forums and asking what to do with that thing :)
Newbies shouldn't use a distro which is not *buntu anyway, not only for their own mental sake, but also those here at forums.

As for the other distros, most users know how to use their package managers and if your distro has no Steam in it's repos, you should change to something else, since it's obviously maintained by Stallman followers :P
Last edited by gutigen o); Feb 24, 2013 @ 2:21am
drakkar123 Feb 24, 2013 @ 2:29am 
Originally posted by Marcos Cosmos:
I agree with t.jp, on Linux, you /shouldn't/ be installing from downloads, using package managers instead is one of the reasons Linux has less viruses, it's just safer, I would, however, be pleased if the installation link could open a 'default' package manager and initiate a search, though I don't know if package managers are defaulted in the same way browsers are.

I have actually wondered why Valve chose Ubuntu. Admittedly I'm not the most profficient Linux user, and I know my story isn't common, but I've found Ubuntu fairly buggy, compared to Mint, but I'm not really in a fair position to compare, having a years gap between using each distro. anyway, exactly what are the reasons for Valve choosing Ubuntu?

I am not new to linux by any means, nor am I inexperienced, but there are many people out there that are. I already stated several reasons I think they should post a LINUX package, and not an Ubuntu package (see post #1 and #4). I haven't actually ran steam from the .tar.gz package yet, but I browsed over it. It does look like they have gotten Steam to the point that it should be (able to install on any distro and provide it's own missing dependencies), but it still does not make a lot of sense to me that there is not a link to that package on the Official page.

If given the choice, I always try to install packages from my distro repo, HOWEVER-

A commercial company that is providing commercial software, should not be depending on the open source community to properly package and distribute their software. I am not saying that I don't want to see it in my distro repo, in fact I really would prefer to install it that way. There are also some situations where it is not always possible to install the software from the repo, and you should be able to get the software directly from the source in that case. I happen to have a very good reason not to use the package in my distro repo, but regardless of the reasons I have, It shouldn't be a major pain in the rear to install any commercial software package and there is no reason that it shouldn't be on the Official Steam for Linux webpage. There is already an Ubuntu package there after all, so adding a non-Ubuntu link to the page does not seem unreasonable to me, by any means.
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 24, 2013 @ 12:24am
Posts: 65