STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT THESE TOPICS
Ok, I understand a lot of people here are new and that’s why we’re getting repeat threads. However, these five topics KEEP coming up, and seriously, a 3-second search will give you the answers you are looking for. Here are the five questions/topics that keep coming up, so please do a simple search and stop making new threads about them:
1) “Wine/Steam for Linux integration.” – Ok, see that little search bar to the right, that says “Search discussions” with a little magnifying glass? Just go to that and type “wine integration” and you get 19 results. If you just type “wine” you get 300 results. It has been discussed to death.
2) “Where is Left4Dead2? I thought they were making a Linux version!” – Patience. Yes, that is the first game that Valve announced they’d be porting. No, they haven’t finished it. No, they won’t answer questions on when it will be finished (unless they have and I’m not aware). The speculation that makes the most sense? They’re waiting for Steam for Linux to have its 1.0 release.
3) “Why is Valve only targeting Ubuntu? That’s really dumb. You know Ubuntu isn’t the only Linux, right?” – I’m pretty sure Valve is aware that Ubuntu isn’t the only flavor of Linux, as they’ve stated many times UBUNTU IS ONLY THE FIRST DISTRIBUTION THEY ARE TARGETING. They’ve already made several posts about how they’re already working on getting Steam for Linux to work on other distributions. Do a little digging before you blast them next time.
4) “Where is my tray icon? I saw a screenshot and one guy had a tray icon! Where’s mine?” – As far as I can tell, this is a 32-bit/64-bit issue (meaning it only works in 32-bit). I’m running 64-bit and don’t have one. Please keep in mind we are dealing with BETA software, not all features are implemented yet.
5) “I have a bunch of games in my “Linux” library but they won’t install! I’m getting ripped off. I can’t believe I bought the Humble Indie Bundle 7 games and/or bought a bunch of games on sale over the holidays and I can’t play them. WHY DO YOU LIE TO ME VALVE???!!!” – I have 9 games like this. This is a problem of the developers telling Valve, “Yes, we have Linux versions of our game,” so Valve says it has a Linux version on Steam. However, the developer has not yet uploaded the Linux binary of the game. Solution? Email the developer and ask when the Linux version will be uploaded (then politely post the answer here). In fact, if anybody already has information on those games that are afflicted with this, please post that information here ASAP.
If any of my information is incorrect, I beg of you to quickly and politely explain the correct answer.
Also, if a Valve moderator wants to sticky this, that'd be great.