Linux, RO:Ostfront & Killing Floor
I am posting this post for people that are wondering to buy one of these games and want some information. This is my experience and I think that every steam linux user should have in mind these things.
These two games are from the same programmer: Tripware, so they share the same bugs. Here are some points:
* You will pay the same than for other platforms, but in linux you won't be able to play ANY the mods, so you pay the same for less product.
* Performance is a bit poor. I am aware I have a low-end computer, but I do have more FPS in ET:QW. This means that the requiremets are really higher than the exposed on the steam page.
* Graphic controls do not work (gamma, brightness, contrast). I have to use the command xgamma each time (before and after) I play any of these games.
* Suddenly, resolution combobox stop displaying resolutions (in both games) so I cannot change resolution from the interface.
* RO:Ostfront is getting old so you wont be able to play sometimes due to the lack of players.
* RO:Ostfront, although it is a game very realistic (most of the time), still has many bugs like hit errors and graphic glitches (at least on my computer).
* It is very common to have an error when entering a server or changing map: "An unknown Steam error is preventing you from connecting to this server. If the problem persists please contact Valve for support"
* Sometimes the steam process keeps running in backgroud and you cannot launch any game or the steam application itself, you have to kill it: kill $(pidof steam)
NOTE: I use an ATI APU (e-350) with updated catalyst drivers and xubuntu (64bit of course). Again, I know it is a low-end computer but I repeat that have better performance in games like ETQW or even some wine emulated games like Rome Total War.