Papfox Dec 21, 2012 @ 5:05am
Steam breaks Ubuntu updates
Hi,

I just installed Steam on Ubuntu 12.04. Thanks very much for all the hard work guys.

When I installed it, I didn't see anywhere that I could download a signing key to verify the package. The default behaviour of Ubuntu Update Manager is to not allow any batch of updates to take place if any of the updates within it are unauthenticated. This means that installing the default Steam package will render an Ubuntu user that uses the standard graphical Update manager to keep their machine up-to-date unable to apply any further software updates until Steam's signing key is added to the system.

Please will you publish a package for the key and instructions on how to apply it to go with the Steam install download.

Thanks,
Paul.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
rudeboyskunk Dec 21, 2012 @ 6:01am 
Type this into your terminal, should fix the problem:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys F24AEA9FB05498B7
Papfox Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:37am 
Thank you.

I just wanted to flag this and I think that this should go into the Steam website in the install instructions. I'm not worried about people like us so much. My concern is that, now this is a public beta, people who are new to Linux will suddenly find that installing Steam is going to cause their software updates to stop working and not know what to do.
PCTechmaster07 Dec 21, 2012 @ 9:47am 
Thanks for posting this; I was wondering if I was the only one who ran into this issue.

UPDATE: tried it but still was unable to update; I can't seem to find any ppa's listed under the installation instructions. Is anyone else running into this?

OS: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
Last edited by PCTechmaster07; Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:28pm
PCTechmaster07 Dec 21, 2012 @ 12:28pm 
*bump*

I was able to find the solution in this thread

Originally posted by AlamA:
the line should be:
deb [arch=i386] http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ precise steam

I was able to update after correcting the source information.
Last edited by PCTechmaster07; Dec 22, 2012 @ 7:06am
Sol_Roller Dec 21, 2012 @ 5:45pm 
Rudeboys solution will fix it, but there's no need to add the Steam ppa anymore anyway: you can just download the deb file to install.
Lophie Dec 21, 2012 @ 7:38pm 
yup yup. First thing to install on a vanilla Ubuntu 12.10 x64. Perfectly installs and works. Directly from the website.
PCTechmaster07 Dec 21, 2012 @ 8:22pm 
Just for the record I tried Rudeboys solution and still got an error message; also the ppa is necessary for future updates.

Hopefully 12.10 and up aren't having issues like this.
Sol_Roller Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:09am 
Originally posted by PCTechmaster07:
Just for the record I tried Rudeboys solution and still got an error message; also the ppa is necessary for future updates.

Hopefully 12.10 and up aren't having issues like this.

It worked for me...
The error was a missing gpg key.
What error message are you getting?

This isn't technically a problem with Ubuntu (although I really wish Ubuntu/apt-get would skip any problems when updating and just continue with the rest), it's just what you get with ppas. Without the gpg key it's considered untrusted - so 12.10 is the same (I'm using 12.10).

I don't think the ppa is needed for updates - the steam client can update itself.
Last edited by Sol_Roller; Dec 22, 2012 @ 12:10am
/dev/null Dec 22, 2012 @ 2:33am 
One the Steam client is installed, it handles it's own updates rather than going through the packaging system, really no need for a ppa.
[Linux] timopm Dec 22, 2012 @ 5:11am 
Originally posted by /dev/null:
One the Steam client is installed, it handles it's own updates rather than going through the packaging system, really no need for a ppa.

Are you sure? The deb includes icons, manpages, docfiles, desktop file and the /usr/bin/steam launcher. These are probably updated through the package manager instead of Steam itself, so it doesn't need the root password for changing these.
cement_head Dec 22, 2012 @ 5:53am 
I get the following error using update manager (using 12.04 64bit):

W:Failed to fetch http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/dists/precise/InRelease Unable to find expected entry 'steam/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.


Any way to fix this?

Thanks,
PCTechmaster07 Dec 22, 2012 @ 6:52am 
^That was the [exact] error I was getting. I ended up having to do this to get it to update correctly:

1) Type what Rudeboy posted:
Originally posted by rudeboyskunk:
Type this into your terminal, should fix the problem:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys F24AEA9FB05498B7

2) I had to modify the source information by adding this "[arch=i386]" to it.
Originally posted by PCTechmaster07:
I was able to find the solution in this thread

Originally posted by AlamA:
the line should be:
deb [arch=i386] http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ precise steam

I did so using UbuntuTweak, but it can be done with Synaptic as well (I think).

After that it updated like it should.
Last edited by PCTechmaster07; Dec 22, 2012 @ 7:08am
Sol_Roller Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:04pm 
Originally posted by cement_head:
W:Failed to fetch http://repo.steampowered.com/steam/dists/precise/InRelease Unable to find expected entry 'steam/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I don't know how to fix this, but this is not the problem that RudeBoys solution fixes (that is for the Steam ppa being an "untrusted source").

Anyway, people SHOULD NOT BE USING THE PPA if they don't have to.
Install Steam from this deb: http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb
and in Ubuntu go to Software Sources > Other Software, then remove all entries that mention Steam. This will stop any steam related issues when you update your system.
The Steam client will update itself, the ppa is not needed.
Last edited by Sol_Roller; Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:07pm
Papfox Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:33pm 
I downloaded the DEB from the official download page and sufferend the unauthenticated package problem.

What is the correct way that Valve should solve this problem? Should the installer that added the PPA (I didn't manually add it) also be installing the key or should the installer not be adding the PPA at all?

Thanks,
Paul.
Last edited by Papfox; Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:34pm
[Linux] timopm Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:47pm 
Originally posted by Papfox:
I downloaded the DEB from the official download page and sufferend the unauthenticated package problem.

What is the correct way that Valve should solve this problem? Should the installer that added the PPA (I didn't manually add it) also be installing the key or should the installer not be adding the PPA at all?

Thanks,
Paul.

The (deb) installer should add the key, for some reason postinst isn't called. I haven't looked into it really, but you can see the DEBIAN/postinst script for details.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 21, 2012 @ 5:05am
Posts: 22