For the nth time, TF2 black screen fix
Many people have posted solutions, but I have yet to see all of them in one post, so here they are. You may not need all of them to get TF2 working. If anyone has any additional solutions please post them in the comments and I will add them.
1) s3tc texture compression. Either do `export force_s3tc_enable=true` before running steam or add `force_s3tc_enable=true` right under the `#!/bin/bash` in /usr/bin/steam
2) Locale issues. Either do `export LANG=C` and `export LC_NUMERIC=POSIX` before running steam or add `LANG=C` and `LC_NUMERIC=POSIX` under the `#!/bin/bash` in /usr/bin/steam. Apparently this has been fixed.
3) No symlinks. There must be no symlinks involved in getting to the SteamApps directory, or tf2 will fail on startup. If you don't want/don't have the space for tf2 in your home directory, just add /opt/Steam as another steam library or the sole steam library.
4) Tell TF2 not to use a joystick. Add -nojoy to the launch options for TF2.
5) SELinux prevents TF2 from starting. Run `sudo setsebool -P allow_execheap 1` in the terminal to fix this.
6) Windowed mode. Add -window, -sw, -startwindowed, or -windowed to the launch options.
7) Proprietary drivers. Some people have had luck installing the drivers from ATI's website. Be warned though that this often causes a plethora of other issues.
I hope this helps as it helped me.