herrdoktor330 Apr 8, 2013 @ 4:29pm
Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon + Steam = Not working
I keep having a problem getting my steam account to authenticate under Linux Mint 14. I've tried this on Linux Mint 14 MATE and Cinnamon editions and get the same issue. I've installed Steam For Linux and I get as far as entering my name/pass. But then the window closes and I'm not prompted for my authentication code. I tried doing the steps from this thread...

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4020-ALZM-5519

... and it hasn't worked for me. Any suggestions?
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Apocryphus Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:38pm 
Did you enter the authentication code you received through email?
herrdoktor330 Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:46pm 
I don't get the option to enter the authentication code. What happens when I start steam for linux is it will update (when needed), prompt for my login information, then vanish after I enter it in. I'm not logged into any of my other computers with steam when this happens. It never shows the window asking about the authentication code e-mail. It doesn't even get that far.

I was thinking maybe it's a bug with MATE or Cinnamon? Maybe there's a config file I need to edit?
Last edited by herrdoktor330; Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:46pm
Cosmo Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:52pm 
It works for me in Cinnamon on Mint 14, so I'm afraid I can't help. :c

Perhaps (I'm not sure) it be possible to run steam in a terminal and send the code via terminal somehow?..
Apocryphus Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:54pm 
Originally posted by herrdoktor330:
I don't get the option to enter the authentication code. What happens when I start steam for linux is it will update (when needed), prompt for my login information, then vanish after I enter it in. I'm not logged into any of my other computers with steam when this happens. It never shows the window asking about the authentication code e-mail. It doesn't even get that far.

I was thinking maybe it's a bug with MATE or Cinnamon? Maybe there's a config file I need to edit?

It can't be a bug with the GUI because the GUI only controls the User Interface of Linux' desktop. This might be something you need to diagnose in more depth. It's possible that Steam's constant updates are colliding with Linux.
herrdoktor330 Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:56pm 
Hm. I'll have to flex my google-fu on that one. I TRIED googling the answer to this problem up... but I couldn't find anything.

If it makes any difference, here's the rig I'm trying it on: Linux Mint 14 (cinnamon, AMD64 compile), AMD A8-5600K w Integrated Video (Radeon HD 7560), 8gb RAM (7gb operating, 1gb Video Buffer), 60gb Intel 330 SSD + ton of "spinner" HDs. Could it be a Proprietary Video Module issue?
Apocryphus Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:58pm 
Originally posted by herrdoktor330:
Hm. I'll have to flex my google-fu on that one. I TRIED googling the answer to this problem up... but I couldn't find anything.

If it makes any difference, here's the rig I'm trying it on: Linux Mint 14 (cinnamon, AMD64 compile), AMD A8-5600K w Integrated Video (Radeon HD 7560), 8gb RAM (7gb operating, 1gb Video Buffer), 60gb Intel 330 SSD + ton of "spinner" HDs. Could it be a Proprietary Video Module issue?

Have you uninstalled Steam and reinstalled? Is your system up-to-date?
herrdoktor330 Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:58pm 
@Raven: Maybe. I installed Steam from my personal user account on the box that has elevated privileges. But I'm trying to run steam on a user account without sudo/su access. Could that be my problem? I might have had that issue on my sudoer account... I'd have to try it again to see.
Apocryphus Apr 8, 2013 @ 6:36pm 
Originally posted by herrdoktor330:
@Raven: Maybe. I installed Steam from my personal user account on the box that has elevated privileges. But I'm trying to run steam on a user account without sudo/su access. Could that be my problem? I might have had that issue on my sudoer account... I'd have to try it again to see.

Installing Steam on an account that has no sudo privileges might be the case. You need to be Adminstrator (have sudo privileges) in order to install an application on Linux. I'm surprised you got this far without sudo privileges. This might be your problem.
Saner than a coconut Apr 8, 2013 @ 7:16pm 
I actually had the same problem, with me it helped to disable the proprietary graphics driver from AMD and choose the open-source one (system settings -> software sources -> additional drivers), only problem then is gaming performance goes down alot. Haven't found another solution yet.
herrdoktor330 Apr 8, 2013 @ 11:37pm 
@Raven: I did do the steam install from my sudoer login. Like I said, I got steam installed... just can't get steam to get past authentication.

@Matskye: AHHA! So it's an AMD driver problem, eh? That's... disappointing. So do you think I could switch to the open source driver for the authentication then switch back to AMD's for gaming? Or will I just have a similar problem when it loads the steam app?
xDShot™ Apr 9, 2013 @ 4:36am 
Install Xfce ;)
AC/DC ROCK OR BUST 02/12/2014 Apr 9, 2013 @ 9:53am 
Why don't you type "terminal", open it and on the terminal type "steam" without "" and then paste the output here?
herrdoktor330 Apr 9, 2013 @ 4:04pm 
@xDShot: 1) nice avatar. 2) I used to rock xfce on an old debian install I had. It's nice... but this computer is in my living room with guests, so I need a certain level of eye candy. Plus my roomie uses that computer... and he's not what you'd call a "linux person"

@lwtua: Will do as soon as I get home. I haven't tried initializing steam in the terminal before. Bet that would tell us something, wouldn't it?
herrdoktor330 Apr 10, 2013 @ 9:26am 
as promised

user@computer ~ $ steam
Running Steam on linuxmint 14 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
[0410/121815:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
Generating new string page texture 7: 128x256, total string texture memory is 131.07 KB
Generating new string page texture 8: 48x256, total string texture memory is 180.22 KB
Generating new string page texture 9: 256x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 10: 64x256, total string texture memory is 507.90 KB
Generating new string page texture 11: 16x256, total string texture memory is 524.29 KB
Generating new string page texture 12: 24x256, total string texture memory is 548.86 KB
Generating new string page texture 13: 32x256, total string texture memory is 581.63 KB
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1364601080_client)
Generating new string page texture 21: 384x256, total string texture memory is 974.85 KB
Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20130410121833_1.dmp
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 704: 13700 Segmentation fault $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-80cc0cbe-5c82-45ff-ac97-b65112130410
herrdoktor330 Apr 10, 2013 @ 10:09am 
actually.. managed to fix this. Just repeated the steps in the initial post and it worked this time on my admin account and guest account. Thanks for the interest, guys.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 8, 2013 @ 4:29pm
Posts: 22