The latest Steam update (03 DEC 2013) crashes during login/verification when running through Wine.
I've been using Steam via PlayOnLinux to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Sims 3, Company of Heroes, etc for a while now. I was up all night last night having a blast. Today the automatic update downloaded and when I restarted steam I couldn't log in.What I've tried:
- Deleting "ClientRegistry.blob"
- Deleting everything but "SteamApps" and "Steam.exe" in the Steam folder
- Re-Installing Steam entirely
- Hard-deleting the entire wine prefix and re-installing Steam
At first the game would simply crash while automatically logging in. Once "ClientRegistry.blob" was reset, it gave me the "Steam Guard - Compute Authorization Required" prompt. After entering the code and pressing "Next >" Steam tries to log in for a second and then crashes.The output of "debug.log" is:
1203/213255:ERROR:resource_bundle.cc(417)] Failed to load C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\chrome.pak
Some features may not be available.
[1203/213255:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(126)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
My network/firewall setup has not changed at all since the last time Steam worked and all of the necessary ports are open (as per http://www.ismyportblocked.com/?pc=steam
Kernel and Display Driver Tested:
- Wine 1.7.4 (native)
- Wine 1.7.4 (winetricks)
- PlayOnLinux 4.1.9 (using Wine 1.7.7)
- PlayOnLinux 4.1.9 (using Wine 1.6.0)
- Gentoo Linux Kernel 3.11.6
- Gentoo Linux Kernel 3.12.2 (latest)
- Nvidia-Drivers 331.20 (latest)
- Intel Core I7 3770K 3.5GHz
- NVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
- Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600
A thread was started over at WineHQ (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19444
) with other people who have the same problem.
I guess it figures this would happen the day after I drop a bunch of money on games...