Towns > General Discussions > Topic Details
Talkashie Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:29pm
Refund! Seriously!
I spend my Christmas money on this "game". It's not even a game! It's COMPLETELY unfinished! I sent in a ticket, and I want either a refund or store credit!
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Solo Solitaire Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:44pm 
Good luck with the refund. In the future, click on the Game Hub button and look a little deeper before buying.
Xariot Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:54pm 
It is a game, I've been playing it and having fun with it.
Cyborgt Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:18pm 
Originally posted by alkali5000:
It is a game

Well, I can agree with that much at least.

Good luck with your refund. It's my understanding that only a small handfull of people have had any success with that.
ThunderNato Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:28pm 
let us know how the refund goes, I would like mine back too. I feel like its beyond unfinished. I haven't seen any big fixes or effort to make this work.
ThunderNato Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:45pm 
How Is this possible? Its like someone dropped their kid off at daycare and just boned out! Im sure steam has their forwarding address...
Scorcher24 Jan 14, 2013 @ 6:25am 
Good Luck. Steam refused me the refund and I bought it even before the announcement was changed.
Konvron_InFaith Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
I bought the game right as it came onto Steam. I don't know what was hard to understand about it. I absolutley knew that it was still being developed and in an alpha like stage. Even off of Steam, don't expect a "store" of any kind to not try and sell the game and have the description be as nice as possible. Do your own look up on the game. Sure, it hurts Steam's credit for not having some sort of thing saying it was still in early developement, but hey, they want to sell the game.
Cyborgt Jan 14, 2013 @ 2:45pm 
Originally posted by Konvron:
I bought the game right as it came onto Steam. I don't know what was hard to understand about it. I absolutley knew that it was still being developed and in an alpha like stage. Even off of Steam, don't expect a "store" of any kind to not try and sell the game and have the description be as nice as possible. Do your own look up on the game. Sure, it hurts Steam's credit for not having some sort of thing saying it was still in early developement, but hey, they want to sell the game.

So what you're saying is that you're perfectly fine with having someone lie straight to your face as long as they're trying to sell you something. This is a perfectly reasonable and ethical practice to you.

That's fine, to each their own. I didn't have any problem understanding what state the game was in before purchasing it either. I just can't agree that it's perfectly fine that they were lieing to people to sell a product. To me, it's simply NOT ok nor will it ever be ok to fail to inform potential customers as to the state of your product.
Jason Jan 15, 2013 @ 2:46pm 
Steam won't refund your purchase, they do not care in the slightest.
Mumboejumboh Jan 15, 2013 @ 3:03pm 
Originally posted by Jason:
Steam won't refund your purchase, they do not care in the slightest.

Refunds are tricky business with digital media. From both a business and a practicality perspective it's hard to ensure that the product is returned and no longer available to the person being refunded.
Cyborgt Jan 15, 2013 @ 5:53pm 
Originally posted by Mumboejumboh:
Originally posted by Jason:
Steam won't refund your purchase, they do not care in the slightest.

Refunds are tricky business with digital media. From both a business and a practicality perspective it's hard to ensure that the product is returned and no longer available to the person being refunded.

Except barring the assumption of illegal activity, it's actually quite easy for Steam to make something no longer available to you. Even in terms of that illegal activity, there are far easier ways to steal a game than to crack a Steam copy. They just have no desire to allow you to return anything.
Mumboejumboh Jan 16, 2013 @ 12:32am 
Originally posted by Cyborgt:
Except barring the assumption of illegal activity, it's actually quite easy for Steam to make something no longer available to you. Even in terms of that illegal activity, there are far easier ways to steal a game than to crack a Steam copy. They just have no desire to allow you to return anything.

If it were so easy for them to do so, there would be no point behind a policy barring refunds under all but terribly specific circumstances.

Though I suppose it's entirely possible that the only reason Steam doesn't allow refunds is sheer greed, thinking that it's better for a customer to receive a product they are unhappy with/incapable of using than to maintain good customer relations and lose a few dollars every now and again.

Maybe they are so greedy, but I'd at least like to keep the small flicker of hope that Steam isn't just outright malicious in dealing with its customers.
bayne420 Jan 16, 2013 @ 8:13am 
Originally posted by Mumboejumboh:
Originally posted by Cyborgt:
Except barring the assumption of illegal activity, it's actually quite easy for Steam to make something no longer available to you. Even in terms of that illegal activity, there are far easier ways to steal a game than to crack a Steam copy. They just have no desire to allow you to return anything.

If it were so easy for them to do so, there would be no point behind a policy barring refunds under all but terribly specific circumstances.

Though I suppose it's entirely possible that the only reason Steam doesn't allow refunds is sheer greed, thinking that it's better for a customer to receive a product they are unhappy with/incapable of using than to maintain good customer relations and lose a few dollars every now and again.

Maybe they are so greedy, but I'd at least like to keep the small flicker of hope that Steam isn't just outright malicious in dealing with its customers.

Ahh, can not agree with this comment in the slightest... so they are supporting the development of
complete [end-quote] game, with apparent knowledge from when first released of 'Its' current state of being in v0.4~... so now they stretched the truth of having every key aspects of a working game. Now its due time for them to refund?

Even from the store page, there is no mention of what it contains. I would like to see a complete working economy market for heroes, yet it does not mention anything... If anything the store page is so vague with info, its a shame that it was called out to be v4 of Towns... not sure how its possible to consider a complete model of a game to only be v.4 or the decimal was 'Misplaced'

Even though this was never mentioned until trialed the demo, so for the validity of the games store page its vague with little concrete evidence of a complete game. (God mode with right click lol, seriously?) This could NOT of been known about until AFTER either purchased, or viewed from a video.
Grimcreaper Jan 16, 2013 @ 1:30pm 
Originally posted by Mumboejumboh:
Originally posted by Cyborgt:
Except barring the assumption of illegal activity, it's actually quite easy for Steam to make something no longer available to you. Even in terms of that illegal activity, there are far easier ways to steal a game than to crack a Steam copy. They just have no desire to allow you to return anything.

If it were so easy for them to do so, there would be no point behind a policy barring refunds under all but terribly specific circumstances.

Though I suppose it's entirely possible that the only reason Steam doesn't allow refunds is sheer greed, thinking that it's better for a customer to receive a product they are unhappy with/incapable of using than to maintain good customer relations and lose a few dollars every now and again.

Maybe they are so greedy, but I'd at least like to keep the small flicker of hope that Steam isn't just outright malicious in dealing with its customers.

It is possible that greed is the driving force, but to be honest, ive gotton a couple refunds in the past and have never had problems with Steam Support outside of the sheer ungodly length of reply time (usually about 3 to 4 days). From what i understand, they are far more likely to give you a refund if you have less than 1 hour of time played in the game, becuase it means you may have a legitimate issue with running or just absolutely despise the product.



Edit: Actually, i have had 1 issue with steam regarding a refund now that i think harder. I was refused a refund on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I was ♥♥♥♥ed about that one, becuase my issue was valid and legitimate. The demo worked fine, but on actualy release, it was estimated that whatever was changed from demo to release broke the game for almost half the purchasers. The issues didnt get patched for almost a year as well.

Myself and MANY others sat with a game we couldnt play for a long time. Steam routed all refund requests to the Devs which in turn was met with a "If you askf or a refund we will revoke your game license and you wont get your money back either." Any attempt to request refunds in their forums met with swift bans. An email i sent to them got returned with a rather venomous response "We really dont care that you cant play the game. As we have stated in our own forums, if you had supplied your steam account name we would have revoked your license to play DMOMM. Dont bother emailing us again."
Last edited by Grimcreaper; Jan 16, 2013 @ 1:30pm
Cyborgt Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:39pm 
Originally posted by Grimcreaper:
Edit: Actually, i have had 1 issue with steam regarding a refund now that i think harder. I was refused a refund on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I was ♥♥♥♥ed about that one, becuase my issue was valid and legitimate. The demo worked fine, but on actualy release, it was estimated that whatever was changed from demo to release broke the game for almost half the purchasers. The issues didnt get patched for almost a year as well.

Myself and MANY others sat with a game we couldnt play for a long time. Steam routed all refund requests to the Devs which in turn was met with a "If you askf or a refund we will revoke your game license and you wont get your money back either." Any attempt to request refunds in their forums met with swift bans. An email i sent to them got returned with a rather venomous response "We really dont care that you cant play the game. As we have stated in our own forums, if you had supplied your steam account name we would have revoked your license to play DMOMM. Dont bother emailing us again."

Huh, i'd never heard of those issues. I liked DMoMM myself and never once had a problem running it but if all that's true I guess i'm glad the game didn't do that well(IIRC.) That's a pretty messed up way to react to people your product doesn't work for.
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:29pm
Posts: 83