Towns > General Discussions > Topic Details
WarFerret Aug 25 @ 11:06am
Lol ,Stupid townies crack me up.
I made my building so that they have to walk OVER the mass storage barrel on their way out of the building ... they STILL carry excess stock out and toss it on the ground ... Im firing them all when they come in to work tomorrow !
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
astyanyx Aug 25 @ 12:43pm 
Yeah, townies want to drop everything before they start a new task, and they consider putting something in storage a new task. I figure that they have to stop to look at their clipboards to see what the next job is, and flipping those pages takes both hands.
YetiChow Aug 26 @ 5:41am 
Originally posted by astyanyx:
Yeah, townies want to drop everything before they start a new task, and they consider putting something in storage a new task. I figure that they have to stop to look at their clipboards to see what the next job is, and flipping those pages takes both hands.

Townies will drop items in barrels before dropping them on the ground; however the way barrels (and all items for that matter) work means that only one townie can interact with a barrel at a time. The "haul" task is a separate task; but the "create and drop" action looks for barrels and stockpiles within LoS before deciding where to drop.

Of course, various other factors come into it... the big ones are the pathfinding priority (i.e. the townies will spend more time checking for a barrel if the performance option is set high; on low settings the priority is just to get the items made and not worry so much about the most efficient pathfinding). Another unlikely chance is that the barrel simply may not accept those products - in other words, it could be the wrong type of barrel or be set not to accept them. As I said, I don't think that's the likely culprit but at least it's easy to check.

My suggestion would be to add several barrels as different options for the townies to drop products into. That will solve the "only one townie in one barrel at a time" issue.

It's a noted problem though, IDK if the Devs are working on a solution currently but at least they know about it.
WarFerret Aug 26 @ 8:39am 
So basically my haulers and harvesters will work better if I flesh out a 9x9 group of barrels to use? For example I am always very heavily invested in pear/apple farming. I usually place a 10x10 orchard of each and just harvest the living hell out of them. Looks like pearmageddon on the ground around my orchard - so placing a 9x9 selection of prepared food barrels would allow up to 9 townies to interact with a barrel for hauling/stocking purposes? Ill give that a shot today. Thanks for clearing up how that works.
WarFerret Aug 26 @ 9:43am 
Ok , I actually put a ring of barrels around my farm and production areas and they are still throwing stuff on the ground. Im talking about a 10x10 area of say pear trees ... being enclosed in a circle of prepared food barrels(with the barrels set to take pears) still the townies run over the barrels and throw the pears on the ground. I even have 10 guys set to do nothing but haul things and nothing gets put into barrels for some reason. I guess I am just going to have to accept that my townies are slobs lol.
Cyborgt Aug 26 @ 1:26pm 
Originally posted by WarFerret:
Ok , I actually put a ring of barrels around my farm and production areas and they are still throwing stuff on the ground. Im talking about a 10x10 area of say pear trees ... being enclosed in a circle of prepared food barrels(with the barrels set to take pears) still the townies run over the barrels and throw the pears on the ground. I even have 10 guys set to do nothing but haul things and nothing gets put into barrels for some reason. I guess I am just going to have to accept that my townies are slobs lol.

Your haulers might be overworked on other tasks and thus never get around to working at the pear farm. It's also possible the barrels are full since they only hold ~10 items each iirc. It's also possible the pathfinding priority is set too low though I wouldn't know much about that since it was added after I stopped playing but it has been mentioned many times in the past (including recently here by Yeti.)

Ultimately, even if none of those explanations are correct the AI in this game is remarkably dumb. Back when I used to play what you're experiencing was the norm because the AI didn't even bother checking for usable barrels at all during item creation/harvesting. It was actually pretty funny watching them take items from my second story kitchen to a nearby mountain because they didn't even see the open ground below them as viable space to drop the food. At least you don't have to put up with that level of dumb anymore. =D
WarFerret Aug 26 @ 1:38pm 
Im dealing with that level of " WTF do we do with these pears ! ? " They are taking them 20+ spaces from my city now to drop them. Hell they are taking them home to their dorms on sub-level 4 and leaving them on top of their beds now too. I did figure out a way to make them STOP leaving them in town though(my town is mostly on level -2 , we are a subterran race) .... I paved the floor with ROAD .. the entire level. They wont drop them on roads very often it seems.
Cyborgt Aug 26 @ 1:45pm 
Originally posted by WarFerret:
Im dealing with that level of " WTF do we do with these pears ! ? " They are taking them 20+ spaces from my city now to drop them. Hell they are taking them home to their dorms on sub-level 4 and leaving them on top of their beds now too. I did figure out a way to make them STOP leaving them in town though(my town is mostly on level -2 , we are a subterran race) .... I paved the floor with ROAD .. the entire level. They wont drop them on roads very often it seems.

Yeah, that works. You can set a limit on how many they harvest though can't you? Again, I haven't played the game in quite a while but I vaguely remember having the ability to do that. If it's getting out of hand you could try setting a lower harvest limit and they'll just go back to harvest more whenever one is actually used for something.
WarFerret Aug 26 @ 1:51pm 
Yeah you can set a limit on how many you want on hand. Im .... a hoarder. I have it set to 500 pears , 500 apples ... pretty much 500 of anything at all that I use. I actually didnt know until you said something that there is a limit of 10 items per barrel. Im going to make some large stockpile areas and organize it and see how it goes.
Cyborgt Aug 26 @ 2:01pm 
Originally posted by WarFerret:
Yeah you can set a limit on how many you want on hand. Im .... a hoarder. I have it set to 500 pears , 500 apples ... pretty much 500 of anything at all that I use. I actually didnt know until you said something that there is a limit of 10 items per barrel. Im going to make some large stockpile areas and organize it and see how it goes.

Yeah, it's a pretty low limit (especially for something small like a pear) but at least like everything else, it's something you can tweak yourself. I'm not sure where or how (I never bothered since it wasn't that hard to work with) but it's supposedly pretty easy to do.
astyanyx Aug 26 @ 6:00pm 
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9972

This link will teach you the basics of modding. Adjusting the barrels is just changing one value for each barrel type. I put my barrels to 100 items and still wind up with several hundred raw material barrels.
WarFerret Aug 26 @ 6:05pm 
Is there a way to make townies carry more than one brick or mud at a time in there? Id be ok with having a massive stockpile area ... like a 100x100 block of barrels if the townies could carry more... I just pretend they were using oxcarts instead of carry'n one 40lb brick each.
astyanyx Aug 26 @ 6:38pm 
I am afraid that it is just one item, although there is a cheat of sorts. If you make a stockpile with barrels in one location and an enpty stockpile at your desired destination that only accepts barrels you can wait until the first stockpile is full and then delete it. The townies will grab the full barrels and move them to the new location.
YetiChow Aug 26 @ 8:41pm 
Originally posted by WarFerret:
Yeah you can set a limit on how many you want on hand. Im .... a hoarder. I have it set to 500 pears , 500 apples ... pretty much 500 of anything at all that I use. I actually didnt know until you said something that there is a limit of 10 items per barrel. Im going to make some large stockpile areas and organize it and see how it goes.

There's your problem. Nobody needs 500 pears, ever. That's not to say you can't make it work; just that the game wasn't designed to make it work "off the shelf" - you'll need to be creative to pull it off. Well... you could also ask someone who has already tried it (I do the same thing with bamboo) :P

For normal situations, I keep my stock set to 5 pears etc. if I have >50 townies, and 10 pears if I have greater than 50. That means that the farmers are only harvesting fruit when it's needed. If I do need a bulk of it (food caravan), I manually order a big harvest.

Bamboo and wheat are 2 exceptions for me. I always start with 10 wheat, and over 50 population I up that number to 15. For bamboo, I set the basic stock to 10 so I always have a full barrel for the town's use; but whenever I have idle farmers I send them to harvest all the bamboo that's grown. Bamboo is my "hoard crop" along with flowers, most caravans buy it in one form or another.

Also, note that stockpiles don't "store" items, they're just a place to drop them. In a barrel, any <maxAge>, <spawn> etc. is paused; but stockpiles won't do that. This is important for raw fruit, because it has a limited period before it rots (disappears); I think it's about 3 days. Corpses are the other commodity that you have to store in barrels - that way they won't spawn ghosts or stink clouds, and they won't rot down into the other forms (e.g. if you want to keep your hero corpses to build the tombs for them, but don't have your craveyard set up, sitck them in a barrel so they don't rot into "purged human remains").

If you do want to hoard up on resources, don't make the "getting there" step an automatic order - even if you have the manpower to do it, the game won't like you for it. Automated orders take a lot more CPU than manual ones, simply because the game has to make more decisions. Again, it's a case of "the more decisions you take responsibility for, the better it works out". That doesn't mean you can't keep 500 in storage automatically though - get to 500 manually, setting the automated amount up by gradual amounts, so that the townies are only having to restock a few (comparitively - 20 apples is only a few when you're talking in 100's) apples at a time (I'm assuming you're producing a crapload of apples if you're trying to get 500 in stock...). As long as you're producing more than you're using, you can get there in stages... although if you then sell off a couple of hundred, make sure you go back and lower the automated restock amount to just above what you have.

Or, to put it really simply: set the number to 10, when you have ten set it to 15, when you have a stable 15 set it to 20, then 25 etc. Again, to make that work you'd have to producing about twice as many apples/whatever as you use, and have twice as many harvesters as you have bakers.

Sorry that got so long lol. I just wanted to try and get the whole reasoning in there, so you can apply the same info to other uses. It's easier with, say, metals because they work differently; but fruits are intentionally the hardest thing to hoard up on. As I said though, the game doesn't make anything impossible; you just have to think about how to make it work.
xlockeed Aug 30 @ 8:41pm 
Can't you just edit items.xml and up the limit on containers from 10 to I don't know 100? I've played with this limit since I bought the game and have not had issues with dropped items on ground, nor starving. Last, try and do projects one at a time. You can run into a lot of problems if you have multiple projects up and your townies start to slow down.
YetiChow Aug 31 @ 12:57am 
Originally posted by xlockeed:
Can't you just edit items.xml and up the limit on containers from 10 to I don't know 100? I've played with this limit since I bought the game and have not had issues with dropped items on ground, nor starving. Last, try and do projects one at a time. You can run into a lot of problems if you have multiple projects up and your townies start to slow down.

that's what we covered with the "one townie per barrel" thing - upping the size does work, but it won't make the barrel able to be accessed by multiple townies, so they still drop items unless they're the first in line.

It's good to hear other people talk about breaking big jobs into smal stages though - that is, in pretty much all cases, the main answer. It should probably go in as a splash text on the loading screen lol... or at least in the new tutorial.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50