Yayınlanma: 24 Mart
So, I heard you wanted to make a game!
And you want to make it with RPG Maker VX Ace.
Now, RPG Maker is a phenomenal program, that, despite it's flaws, is absolutely perfect for almost anyone.
Both experienced and inexperienced developers alike, RPG Maker VX Ace offers a wonderful alternative
to the grind of the intimidating scene that is coding.
Not only is it great for giving you the tools you need to get started with creating games, and thus teaching you all of the basics of what it takes to create a game, it's also great for people who have already made some fun games in other programs like Game Maker.Pros
- A tightly wound and smart core program that gives you all the puzzle pieces to design then puts them together for you
- A starting template that removes all the hassle of movement, messages, battle etc. and lets you get straight to creating your game
- Very powerful eventing system
- A well designed GUI (Graphical User Interface) that makes map making a breeze
- A database that allows you to create to your hearts content and is seamlessly tied into the game itself
- Free assets such as graphics, music etc. + a character designer (which is amazing)
- The capability to expand presentation wise via DLC/custom/internet downloaded assets as well as programming wise via scripts
- Kind and helpful community
- Limited for the non-experienced user (then again, they may not require anything else, and thus is simpler for them)
- Database that, while does its job, doesn't have the best design
- Occassionally awkward interactions within eventing and scripts
- Annoying licensing restrictions (However, you can still go all the way from scratch to a published commerical game)
- A few minor bugs
Bottom line: It's certainly very powerful - it feels limited, and, to a certain extent, it is. However, for experienced users, you can really break most, if not all, of those limits through scripting. You can truly expand the potential of your game exponentially. Therefore, I disagree it's only for aspiring developers. It's for anyone who damn well wants to make a game. They can :)
8/10 would make games again