Half-Life 2 > General Discussions > Topic Details
Iron Maiden Oct 12, 2013 @ 7:54pm
Half Life 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 NEED iron sights in the weapons...
Man, i will be very sad if HL3 or L4D3 come without the "aiming down the sights" resource. This is required for all FPS games made after 2006. And don't come to say: "but Half Life isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield" because i can say a lot of FPS games with ADS: Far Cry, Metro, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, BioShock, Arma, Borderlands, Crysis, Medal of Honor, Fallout and so many others... I considered a negative point for Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't come with sights, because L4D2 is a 2009 game. I think Valve don't like FPS games with iron sights -.-
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Gordy the Pirate! ❤ Oct 12, 2013 @ 7:58pm 
Why do you need them? For some games, iron sights fit, and for others, like L4D, they're not really necessary. Valve will do whatever they think is best, obviously, but I'm curious why iron sights would be such a big deal.
Iron Maiden Oct 12, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
Originally posted by Sexi-Mexi! ❤:
Why do you need them? For some games, iron sights fit, and for others, like L4D, they're not really necessary. Valve will do whatever they think is best, obviously, but I'm curious why iron sights would be such a big deal.

Because iron sights make a FPS game more realistic. Okay,
I know that the intention of Half Life is not about being a simulator, but every FPS game tries to imitate the reality in the best way possible for the game, and the ADS is one of them.
ownomics Oct 12, 2013 @ 8:07pm 
Originally posted by Iron Maiden:
Originally posted by Sexi-Mexi! ❤:
Why do you need them? For some games, iron sights fit, and for others, like L4D, they're not really necessary. Valve will do whatever they think is best, obviously, but I'm curious why iron sights would be such a big deal.

Because iron sights make a FPS game more realistic. Okay,
I know that the intention of Half Life is not about being a simulator, but every FPS game tries to imitate the reality in the best way possible for the game, and the ADS is one of them.
HL2 doesn't try to imitate reality. Ironsights don't fit in with HL's feel or atmosphere.
Gordy the Pirate! ❤ Oct 12, 2013 @ 8:07pm 
But every game's aim isn't to be realistic. Some games strive for that, sure, but can you really call Borderlands "realistic"? I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think iron sights have much of a place in Valve's games. They play amazingly as they are.
Iron Maiden Oct 12, 2013 @ 8:16pm 
Originally posted by Sexi-Mexi! ❤:
But every game's aim isn't to be realistic. Some games strive for that, sure, but can you really call Borderlands "realistic"? I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think iron sights have much of a place in Valve's games. They play amazingly as they are.

Oh, yes, Borderlands can't be realistic, but make more sense the character aim to shoot, do not agree? If Borderlands can have a lick of sense, why Half Life can't? And the question for iron sights in Valve games, just experimenting to see, because they will not innovate if not to try to do something different.
ownomics Oct 12, 2013 @ 8:30pm 
Originally posted by Iron Maiden:
Originally posted by Sexi-Mexi! ❤:
But every game's aim isn't to be realistic. Some games strive for that, sure, but can you really call Borderlands "realistic"? I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think iron sights have much of a place in Valve's games. They play amazingly as they are.

Oh, yes, Borderlands can't be realistic, but make more sense the character aim to shoot, do not agree? If Borderlands can have a lick of sense, why Half Life can't? And the question for iron sights in Valve games, just experimenting to see, because they will not innovate if not to try to do something different.

Except it's not different. It's exactly what the thousands of other companies making FPS games are doing.
I for one don't want HL to lose its refreshingly uncomplicated combat flow and have a silly, unnecessary feature forced down my throat just because a minority thought it would be cool to throw away one of the things that makes valve's games unique.

Besides, nobody's stopping you from picking up the SDK and modding it in yourself. Take a look at CS:S to see how they did it and apply yourself.
Alexbeav Oct 12, 2013 @ 9:43pm 
I prefer iron sights because they allow a player to sacrifice mobility for accuracy. However, since fights in Half-Life seldom happen accross large distances, I do not consider IS necessary, at least not for all weapons. I agree that the assault rifle/SMG could benefit from it, but the pistol for example is accurate if you fire at a steady pace.
Teh Yeti Oct 12, 2013 @ 11:30pm 
I like the option of being able to have the iron sights, but I would really like HL3 and L4D3 to not make it required. Iron sights take up the screen and make it harder to see enemies. They should be used when you're aiming at a more distant target. Maybe it's just me, but my experience with Crysis, CoD and Battlefield is that iron sights degraded my ability to differentiate targets. Never had a problem in Halo, and they didn't make iron sights or zooming a requirment, just a convenient feature.
Dewrito Oct 13, 2013 @ 1:47am 
I understand why you might want iron sights, but i don't think it would fit in. Even if HL3 doesn't have it, hell people are gonna make mods. Look up SMOD if you want some crazy stuff including iron sights for all weapons.
Lx Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:49am 
I agree, I want iron sight as well
Lii Oct 13, 2013 @ 4:29am 
Whats the meaning of iron sight??
90908 Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:23am 
i don't want an iron sight for one reason. half life wasn't MEANT for that kind of combat.it's meant for difficult high octane "arena matches" as i call them. not for pecking away at distant blobs of grey while looking at some metal
Major Havoc Oct 13, 2013 @ 8:26am 
Originally posted by Iron Maiden:
Man, i will be very sad if HL3 or L4D3 come without the "aiming down the sights" resource. This is required for all FPS games made after 2006. And don't come to say: "but Half Life isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield" because i can say a lot of FPS games with ADS: Far Cry, Metro, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, BioShock, Arma, Borderlands, Crysis, Medal of Honor, Fallout and so many others... I considered a negative point for Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't come with sights, because L4D2 is a 2009 game. I think Valve don't like FPS games with iron sights -.-

Oh come on, how do you know that a heads up display is not part of the HEV suit? After all, the suit does have an optical zoom system and supplies oxygen when needed. Also included is the voice feedback system and digital ammo counters. So yes, HUD gun sites are just naturally included just like the energy capacity meter .
Last edited by Major Havoc; Oct 13, 2013 @ 8:28am
ownomics Oct 14, 2013 @ 1:58am 
Originally posted by EG Mok:
Oh come on, how do you know that a heads up display is not part of the HEV suit? After all, the suit does have an optical zoom system and supplies oxygen when needed. Also included is the voice feedback system and digital ammo counters. So yes, HUD gun sites are just naturally included just like the energy capacity meter .
Because the HUD magically counts the amount of bullets in the current magazine and in reserve with the suit being completely unrelated and unattached to every weapon freeman comes across.
All of the other stuff is plausible and likely, but an ammo counter is not. It's a feature that was included for gameplay purposes and is in no way indicative of the HEV suit's capabilities, just like the weapon selection menu encountered when playing with a gamepad or when you're not using fast weapon switch.

Originally posted by quanlime:
Whats the meaning of iron sight??
"Iron sight" refers to a part of a firearm or similar ballistic weapon that assists its wielder in aiming the weapon. There are typically two iron sights to every firearm: a front sight and a rear sight, the front may be something like a single post with a glow-in-the-dark material on it and the rear sight may be two posts spread apart which also have a glowing material embedded in them(as can be seen on the 9mm pistol in HL2), but they vary widely in their capabilities and aesthetics.

They are related to scopes, which are sometimes referred to as "optics" but also (albeit uncommonly) share the term "sight". Optics magnify the wielder's view like a telescope or binocular, so the user may remain effective at ranges beyond the distance at which a person can typically clearly see his target.

It's a sign of skill when someone can hit targets at great distances without the aid of a scope, typically at ranges of around one-half kilometer or farther.
Last edited by ownomics; Oct 14, 2013 @ 2:09am
Rockhead Gaz Oct 14, 2013 @ 3:20pm 
I couldn't really care less about this particular issue, but I'm going to agree based purely on the fact the the OP has chosen to name himself after the greatest band of all time.
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2013 @ 7:54pm
Posts: 62