Antichamber > General Discussions > Topic Details
THE| Truth Apr 17, 2013 @ 2:35pm
This game fell apart at the "chaining" parts.
I was so proud of myself that I was doing so good at this game with no help at all. Then it all fell apart at the "lighting a fuse" and "link in a chain reaction" puzzles. There are so many comments on these puzzles for a reason. The game never hints at chaining at all. There is no "tutorial" of sorts like EVERY OTHER puzzle.

When I came to these puzzles I had no idea I can chain things together, and I wasn't even sure what was happening with those blocks that disappear and then reappear. I just assumed that it was some ability I would get later on that would let me get through them. After a good 40 minutes of running around backtracking and not knowing what to do I finally decided to try and brute-force my way in. When I finally got in, I still believed it was probably a game bug. "Chaining" never crossed my mind. The dev could have shown us how chaining works surely?

Since it's one guy, I'll cut him slack, but I'm pissed at this game for not even hinting about chaining.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
THE| Truth Apr 17, 2013 @ 2:36pm 
I'm getting the yellow gun now and I'm sure the game will get better, but that was a really weak spot in this game.
Gord0n Apr 17, 2013 @ 3:09pm 
Yes I also got stumped on that puzzle but figured it out eventually but more through chance than thought. I did notice that the block sometimes dissolved but I never understood how or why it happened, so when a puzzle occured that required you to know the ins and outs of that mechanic it took me a while to realize that there is a clear logic behind the dissolving.
THE| Truth Apr 17, 2013 @ 6:40pm 
Originally posted by Gord0n:
Yes I also got stumped on that puzzle but figured it out eventually but more through chance than thought. I did notice that the block sometimes dissolved but I never understood how or why it happened, so when a puzzle occured that required you to know the ins and outs of that mechanic it took me a while to realize that there is a clear logic behind the dissolving.

Yeah it seems some blocks dissolve and other don't. Why not make those that dissolve light green or dark green or a different shade of green instead in order to differentiate them? And also have some way to show that you can get through them with the green gun.
Bam191 Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:55pm 
I figured out how the disappearing blocks worked pretty soon after getting the green gun, but before that I just figured that I had to click really fast and then run through :P I actually managed to get through one of the green barriers by making a hole just big enough to walk through with the blue gun, but it really didn't help me much. Once I figured out how the disappearing blocks worked, everything else pretty much just fell into place, as well as chaining. You just have to figure stuff out as you go along :P
Californ1a Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:19pm 
Originally posted by THE| Truth:
Yeah it seems some blocks dissolve and other don't. Why not make those that dissolve light green or dark green or a different shade of green instead in order to differentiate them? And also have some way to show that you can get through them with the green gun.
It's not that the game rules changed, they were added on to. The dissolving cubes were explained/taught in "Learning To Draw", whether you picked up on that mechanic or not.
Also, all cubes will dissolve. It's just a matter of which cube you take.

Say, for example, you lay down three separate lines of 5 cubes each on the floor. Now, from the first line, remove the very center cube; what happens? (Both sides of the line will dissolve) Next, on the second line, remove a cube that is directly next to the center cube; what happens? (The one cube that is cut off from the rest is dissolved) Lastly, on the third line, remove the very edge cube; what happens? (No cubes dissolve)

It's a new game mechanic added on to the mechanic of picking up/placing cubes from the blue gun. It was not a change, just an addition.
Lupal Fillyus Jun 7, 2013 @ 6:30pm 
Originally posted by Californ1a:
Say, for example, you lay down three separate lines of 5 cubes each on the floor. Now, from the first line, remove the very center cube; what happens? (Both sides of the line will dissolve) Next, on the second line, remove a cube that is directly next to the center cube; what happens? (The one cube that is cut off from the rest is dissolved)

It was not a change, just an addition.

Earlier you could remove the middle and 2nd/4th cube without the rest dissolving.
Change.
Breadfish Jun 9, 2013 @ 11:44am 
I understood it pretty quickly, the names of the levels may say more than you think.
However, I did get stuck in one level where I knew what to do but didn't manage to execute it well. It was probably that Lighting The Fuse you talked about, I knew how to open the doors but I had to be very quick in order to place a block at the right place when the door was about to close. It was a very annoying part in the level. Or maybe I was just doing it wrong haha.
Lupal Fillyus Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:17pm 
If you connect all the blocks in a single chain and remove the middle part, both of the chains will dissolve. You just keep walking forward while the chain keeps dissolving, opening the doors in sequence.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 17, 2013 @ 2:35pm
Posts: 8