Don't Starve > Discussion Forum > Topic Details
Archrite Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:15pm
Let's sign a petition for Co-op!
Well, I already read official reply and I agree with their opinion.
But.. you know, Co-op is still defficult to resist, like the temptaition of the devil.

I just want to know how many people want to play Don't Starve with their friends.
That's why I made this petition.

Let's sign it!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/klei-entertainment-inc-make-co-op-or-multi-play-in-don-t-starve
Showing 1-15 of 54 comments
< >
TheGoodTheBadAndTheGibus Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:45pm 
1. No.
2. No.
3. Why have you wasted yours and other's time on something thatll never happen
4. There's even a pinned thread showing how sick of how many crappy mulyi/coop threads there are and that they'll never happen
5. No.
kik4444 Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:50pm 
Signed!
Noregret0 Mar 18, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
They have already said multiplayer would require rewriting most of the code. Good luck with your petition but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Archrite Mar 18, 2013 @ 3:26pm 
Yeah, I read that. I'm sure it's really hard to remake entire game, but still multiplay is attractive.
Whiteloaf Mar 18, 2013 @ 6:34pm 
You dont need ANOTHER co-op game.
Learn to take games at their intended value, not everything has to be playable with friends, especially a game that depends so much on the asocial nature of single player games in order to build upon its intended atmosphere.
Not to mention all of the combat and harvesting mechanics depend on the having only a single person active in order to remain challanging. Being able to gather both food and wood in a single day in adamant amounts would completely diminish any challange present, and the current aggro mechanics would completely ruin combat difficulty.

Just stop already, not every game is magically made better by co-op.
Archrite Mar 18, 2013 @ 8:48pm 
Originally posted by Cactus Man:
You dont need ANOTHER co-op game.
Learn to take games at their intended value, not everything has to be playable with friends, especially a game that depends so much on the asocial nature of single player games in order to build upon its intended atmosphere.
Not to mention all of the combat and harvesting mechanics depend on the having only a single person active in order to remain challanging. Being able to gather both food and wood in a single day in adamant amounts would completely diminish any challange present, and the current aggro mechanics would completely ruin combat difficulty.

Just stop already, not every game is magically made better by co-op.

Of course, Don't Starve is good, fun, and lovely.
I agree if this game is story telling game but, you know, this is send box game with out story. No mission, no achievement, and only two interaction available NPC.
In first time, I can't think about co-op because I'm too busy. Find place for base, food, items, fight against monster... but after 40 or 50 day, I feel boring. The other word, "Lonely". It's like alone in uninhabited island. Robinson Crusoe has his own partner than why not me?

That's why I want co-op.
If I can yarikomi in this game, maaaaaybe I can agree with you. But, not now.
Last edited by Archrite; Mar 18, 2013 @ 8:49pm
Whiteloaf Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:18pm 
Originally posted by Archrite:
Of course, Don't Starve is good, fun, and lovely.
I agree if this game is story telling game but, you know, this is send box game with out story. No mission, no achievement, and only two interaction available NPC.
In first time, I can't think about co-op because I'm too busy. Find place for base, food, items, fight against monster... but after 40 or 50 day, I feel boring. The other word, "Lonely". It's like alone in uninhabited island. Robinson Crusoe has his own partner than why not me?

That's why I want co-op.
If I can yarikomi in this game, maaaaaybe I can agree with you. But, not now.

Multiple things here.
1) Its beta, theres a story mode coming but its unfinished (You can even try the unfinished version if you want, try selecting adventure instead of sandbox).
2) Robinson Crusoe is an idealized fantasy, hes MEANT to have everything (more or less) in his favor. Dont Starve, however, it out to kill you. Nothing is ever meant to be stacked too heavily in your favor. Having a completely sentient gathering partner would fall heavily in to the overpowered catagory.
3) Youre MEANT to feel alone, the sense of isolation adds to the overall theming of helplessness and impending death. Surviving past day 40-50 is supposed to feel lonely and mentally taxing on your social desires (hence, your desire for coop which is completely detrimental to the intended theming here).

I hate listing replies, but it really is easier...
Seriously though, its completely idiotic to desire something that would, in one fell swoop, destroy all the brilliant theming and challange the devs built in to the game.
There are a plethora of other games if you desire coop. This one doesnt need it.
Archrite Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:54pm 
1)I know this is beta, so I said "If I can yarikomi in this game, maaaaaybe I can agree with you. But, not now." this means I can change my mind after beta test!
2)I don't think co-op makes overpower, but I agree it makes hard too control difficulty.

Well, I don't think Don't Starve's theme is fight lonely against fear of death. It's too casual to say that. Nonetheless there is still single play even if add co-op. Of course, there are co-op survival games on steam, but there are serious single games too. Like "I'm alive". You can play that instead argue with me.
Archrite Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:57pm 
God, I always hate argue and hate study English but now I argue in stupid broken English!
How funny!
Last edited by Archrite; Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:57pm
marsvilta8331 Mar 19, 2013 @ 2:03pm 
Q_Q coop mode would be amazing. I have so many friends that I've told about the game but since we are adults, gaming is more of a time to spend with friends. So they play games like LoL and WoW. I totally understand people who say that "this is a single player game" but that doesnt mean that it SHOULDN'T have a coop option. The game would be a lot more appealing to a wider community, which means more popularity for the game and more money for the Devs. I think it would be a worthwhile investment on the Dev Team's part. I consider myself pretty decent at this game and I just gave my gift code to a friend, it would be so cool to be able to hop into her world, or share a sandbox so that I could kind of show her the ropes. You could even make other games out of it, where you 1v1 your friend, spawn on different parts of the map and try to survive and scout for your enemy at the same time. Just because it's single player doesn't mean the game can evolve new branches. It's selfish to not acknowledge that not every gamer is exactly like you... some of us have friends we play games with socially.
kik4444 Mar 19, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
Originally posted by marsvilta8331:
Q_Q coop mode would be amazing. I have so many friends that I've told about the game but since we are adults, gaming is more of a time to spend with friends. So they play games like LoL and WoW. I totally understand people who say that "this is a single player game" but that doesnt mean that it SHOULDN'T have a coop option. The game would be a lot more appealing to a wider community, which means more popularity for the game and more money for the Devs. I think it would be a worthwhile investment on the Dev Team's part. I consider myself pretty decent at this game and I just gave my gift code to a friend, it would be so cool to be able to hop into her world, or share a sandbox so that I could kind of show her the ropes. You could even make other games out of it, where you 1v1 your friend, spawn on different parts of the map and try to survive and scout for your enemy at the same time. Just because it's single player doesn't mean the game can evolve new branches. It's selfish to not acknowledge that not every gamer is exactly like you... some of us have friends we play games with socially.
You are completely right. I did the exact same thing a few days ago with my friend and I'd like to play this game with him in coop :)
TheGoodTheBadAndTheGibus Mar 19, 2013 @ 3:26pm 
Originally posted by kik4444:
Originally posted by marsvilta8331:
Q_Q coop mode would be amazing. I have so many friends that I've told about the game but since we are adults, gaming is more of a time to spend with friends. So they play games like LoL and WoW. I totally understand people who say that "this is a single player game" but that doesnt mean that it SHOULDN'T have a coop option. The game would be a lot more appealing to a wider community, which means more popularity for the game and more money for the Devs. I think it would be a worthwhile investment on the Dev Team's part. I consider myself pretty decent at this game and I just gave my gift code to a friend, it would be so cool to be able to hop into her world, or share a sandbox so that I could kind of show her the ropes. You could even make other games out of it, where you 1v1 your friend, spawn on different parts of the map and try to survive and scout for your enemy at the same time. Just because it's single player doesn't mean the game can evolve new branches. It's selfish to not acknowledge that not every gamer is exactly like you... some of us have friends we play games with socially.
You are completely right. I did the exact same thing a few days ago with my friend and I'd like to play this game with him in coop :)
Kik, im sorry but co-op Isn't happening.
At all.
Anytime in the future.
Never.
Not even in a mod (So much work would have to go into making a multiplayer that they'd might as well make their own game and make money off it in the process)
kik4444 Mar 19, 2013 @ 3:27pm 
Well Just Cause 2 used to be SP only, but look at it now
TheGoodTheBadAndTheGibus Mar 19, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
Originally posted by kik4444:
Well Just Cause 2 used to be SP only, but look at it now
Yes, but the modder didn't have to rewrite the ENTIRE GAME CODE to create a multiplayer for it, only certain parts and features.
Joker [KAAOS] Mar 19, 2013 @ 4:21pm 
It's astounding that some people simply cannot understand that EVERYTHING about this game design is about its being for a single player. Everything. The genre itself is for a single player. There are thousands of games in multiple genres that you can play with or against other people.

This is not one of those games, was never conceived nor designed to be one of those games, and not one single second of development time should be wasted on even posting further replies as to why coop is an idiotic request for this product.

I hope the OP is just trolling, and not a complete simpleton.
Showing 1-15 of 54 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 18, 2013 @ 2:15pm
Posts: 54