robbotic Jan 12, 2013 @ 2:57am
Problem - Can't get the game to load...
Hi, I bought the game from the PuppyGames site wanting to get a Steam key, but found out that I need to load the game at least once in order to register it. I've installed the stand alone game, but can't get it to load.

When I try to load it I get an "updating droid assault" progress bar. The status goes from "connecting..." to "downloading..." then it disappears. The DroidAssault.exe process stays in the task manager for a few mins afterwards, then disappears as well. I can't get the game to go beyond this point.

I've tried:
setting rules for the game in my anti-virus/firewall
turning my anti-virus/firewall completely off
re-installing the game multiple times
running the game as an administrator

Any suggestions/help would be good, I really want to play this game!

System:
Win 7 64bit - latest service pack, latest updates
Nvidia GTX 570
Intel Core i5 750
4gb RAM
Last edited by robbotic; Jan 12, 2013 @ 2:58am
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Chimaeros Jan 12, 2013 @ 4:46am 
I'm having the same problem with the demo. It seems to download files then disappears. Also WIn 7 64bit. Tried the various compatibility options and run as admin too.
cprince  [developer] Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:03pm 
Hmm, I'm running Win 7 64 bit here and it's behaving... I'll be needing to see some logs! They should be under your user home directory, under .droid_assault_1.91 - the two files in question are err.log and out.log
Chimaeros Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
Should the demo be creating that folder too? I don't have .droid_assault_1.91 (for reference, I do have a .revenge_of_the_titans in the user home directory).
cprince  [developer] Jan 12, 2013 @ 4:03pm 
If it hasn't managed to create that folder then it's crashed before it got to run properly. I'll do some investigating on Monday, might involve you running a debug build for me...
robbotic Jan 12, 2013 @ 6:06pm 
Originally posted by Chimaeros:
Should the demo be creating that folder too? I don't have .droid_assault_1.91 (for reference, I do have a .revenge_of_the_titans in the user home directory).

Exactly the same for me, glad it seems I'm not alone at least!
Trioptimus Jan 12, 2013 @ 10:30pm 
I cannot get the game to load either. I can verify the integrity successfully but whenever I launch the game it starts the process and never actually launches the game. I found the logs; err.log is empty and out.log is mostly the same from trying to run it over and over but here it is http://pastebin.com/u3jHqjyj
cprince  [developer] Jan 13, 2013 @ 3:08am 
There is quite possibly another log being written in to the .exe directory with the name hs_err_pidxxxx.log or something like that.
track Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:22am 
I had this problem too when I installed it the first time (to the default path in c:\program files\...).
The game window itself was never loaded, only the updater (which disappeared shortly after start, while it was still downloading).
I'm also on Win7 64-bit (english localization).

However after I re-installed it to another path outside program files (also another drive in my case) the updater worked and then started the game.

Since it worked I didn't look closer into it, however I guess it could be 64/32 path bug.
If you can't reproduce it, I could re-install it again to the default location and try to reproduce it.
Then looking into it with process monitor and other debugging tools.
robbotic Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:45am 
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunatly I still have the same problem when I tried installing the game to a new directory and also a different drive. The mystery continues...

cprince, I can't see an hs_err_pidxxxx.log in the Droid Assault root directory where the .exe is. A search in the entire folder for any .log file comes up empty as well.
cprince  [developer] Jan 13, 2013 @ 8:04am 
You got any strange environment variables defined that might possibly point to a broken installation of some old Java version elsewhere? I really must find out how to override that.
robbotic Jan 13, 2013 @ 4:27pm 
Not that I know of. This is a fresh Win 7 install from a few days ago. The latest Java is the only one I've installed so far.
cprince  [developer] Jan 14, 2013 @ 1:47am 
... what happens if you uninstall that Java completely?
robbotic Jan 14, 2013 @ 3:31am 
Finaly, it's working!

I had no luck trying the game after removing my 64bit version of Java. But I installed 32bit Java in its place and tried again. That seemed to do the trick!

Thanks for the suggestions, btw.
cprince  [developer] Jan 14, 2013 @ 4:00am 
Aha, thanks - that's very interesting. I've got something to work with now!
track Jan 14, 2013 @ 12:01pm 
@cprince:
I tried to reproduce it, however at first without luck (everything worked everytime I re-installed it).

Then I remembered that my connection was slow that day and tried something outside the box, if the patcher runs and i set my firewall to block everything, the same behaivour (the patcher GUI disapperes but the process stays active) occurs that I had back then, even if i disable the firewall afterwards.

Maybe it is some sort of IO/timing/threading bug which cause the UI to shutdown (thinking everything is ok) without cleaning up the transfer/IO/main thread which was blocked.
Well, at least now there is a way to reproduce a similar (or maybe even the same) effect.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 12, 2013 @ 2:57am
Posts: 19