Saint Satan Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:19pm
The Soundtrack is located within the game files
What kinda ripoff is this? $10 for something that's already included with the game? What?
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Linblum Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:50pm 
It's a way to support the artists.
effinate Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
When you pay $10 for the game, isn't that how you support the artists?
Anyways, for $10 they could've given the game an expansion, deluxe edition extras, something.
Linblum Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:59pm 
The artists didn't create the game, and its not just one person who did all the songs, its a mixture, the $10 will be split between them.
Saint Satan Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:09pm 
Originally posted by Tobi:
The artists didn't create the game, and its not just one person who did all the songs, its a mixture, the $10 will be split between them.

They already made money from the game not to mention the free advertsing. It seems really silly to buy something everyone already has not to mention most of the artists have the songs for FREE on their websites.
Last edited by Saint Satan; Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:10pm
Tuuka Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:27pm 
As Tobi has stated, the point of this soundtrack is to support the artists who contributed to the game's music and provide all the tracks in one place.
This isn't a clandestine operation to swindle money from people, the devs have openly made the soundtrack readily available in the game's directory... they are simply providing you with the option that if you wish to support the music artists and have the official soundtrack in a highly compatible format, then you are able to.
Last edited by Tuuka; Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:28pm
Linblum Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:29pm 
Originally posted by Saint Satan:
Originally posted by Tobi:
The artists didn't create the game, and its not just one person who did all the songs, its a mixture, the $10 will be split between them.

They already made money from the game not to mention the free advertsing. It seems really silly to buy something everyone already has not to mention most of the artists have the songs for FREE on their websites.

You either buy it or you don't ;)
nin Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:32pm 
Alternatively, you could also go through each artists bandcamp page and buy in flac/your format of choice. That's probably what I'll do.
Tuuka Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:34pm 
Originally posted by nin:
Alternatively, you could also go through each artists bandcamp page and buy in flac/your format of choice. That's probably what I'll do.

Absolutely, nothing to stop you; this is just another option. I'm sure the devs couldn't care what people decide to do in order to obtain the soundtrack.
effinate Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:38pm 
Originally posted by Tobi:
The artists didn't create the game
Nobody said or implied that.

Originally posted by Tobi:
its not just one person who did all the songs
Nobody said or implied that.

Originally posted by The Elusive Tuuka:
This isn't a clandestine operation to swindle money from people
Nobody said or implied that.
Tuuka Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:50pm 
Originally posted by effinate:
Originally posted by Tobi:
The artists didn't create the game
Nobody said or implied that.

Originally posted by Tobi:
its not just one person who did all the songs
Nobody said or implied that.

Originally posted by The Elusive Tuuka:
This isn't a clandestine operation to swindle money from people
Nobody said or implied that.

It was certainly implied here:

Originally posted by Saint Satan:
What kinda ripoff is this?

It's incredibly bizarre that something which is purely a matter of choice is coming under fire. If you don't want to buy the soundtrack, there are multiple options which provide the same tracks free of charge. A number of people on these discussions have asked for an official soundtrack so one has been provided, granted it is not given in a variety of file formats which renders it a little more unappealing but regardless, it was released as the result of popular demand.
Last edited by Tuuka; Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:54pm
BlueHarvest Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:52pm 
If you don't want to pay the $10 then don't. /thread
effinate Jan 24, 2013 @ 1:59pm 
I would assume by "What kinda ripoff is this?" he means what value does this purchase have? Which as it stands now, none. I would not recommend this to anyone, it is a shame that the dev can't retroactively make the soundtrack inaccesible through the games files (which would obviously result in ill-will), then charging for the soundtrack may be sound and in fact I would be tempted to buy it...
If someone felt so inclined to further support the artists beyond their purchase of the game I would have to recommend them to buy more music directly from the artist.
arteris Jan 24, 2013 @ 2:41pm 
As DLC and "game content", yes the Soundtrack is a "rip-off".

But there's the rub, this is a soundtrack not actual game content. The developers have an agreement with their artists to use the music included in the game, you do not. The soundtrack DLC gives you the license to use the music freely for your own personal enjoyment outside of the game.

What your initial post says to me is: "I've paid for this game once, and I don't think the artists deserve to be compensated for their music so I will steal it from the game itself."

As Hotline Miami is a game with an absolutely increadible soundtrack, I think it's a hell of a deal and far from a rip-off. The benefit of buying it here rather than directly from the artists is the sake of ease and convenience for some people.

But that's just my perspective, your mileage may vary.
effinate Jan 24, 2013 @ 3:09pm 
Originally posted by arteris:
What your initial post says to me is: "I've paid for this game once, and I don't think the artists deserve to be compensated for their music so I will steal it from the game itself."

I paid for the game. These files are located in the game's (the same game I paid for) directory. How can I steal something that is currently located on my PC? Why would I or any other competent person pay for something they already have (obtained legally) in their posession?
Last edited by effinate; Jan 24, 2013 @ 3:10pm
arteris Jan 24, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
Originally posted by effinate:
I paid for the game. These files are located in the game's (the same game I paid for) directory. How can I steal something that is currently located on my PC? Why would I or any other competent person pay for something they already have in their posession?

You're making the presumption that posession is ownership. It's obvious that one can simply take the files from the installation folder, but that doesn't mean that one should, nor that one has a legal right to.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:19pm
Posts: 22