Maxton Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:19am
Best starting faction?
I an a definet newbie at total war game and the only one i have bought is napoleon so what will be the best faction to start as
Showing 1-15 of 66 comments
< >
macbaldrick Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:37am 
Pontus would be a great faction to start with, ok income and you have the black sea to your back¨.
jamiedonaghy Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:48am 
Pontus will require a dlc
BlackNid Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:52am 
In my experiance from the origenal rome, you'd probaply be best starting as one of the roman families. They have the most flexible army and are alide with each other so get a fair comercial start from trade. Also, the senet gives you misions to compleat which helps you actualy get into the game.
Dynamic Watcher Jul 12, 2013 @ 5:04am 
For ROME! Haha the Romans are certaintly the most flexible and so probably easiest to start with but each fraction will have it own strengths and of course weaknesses, so you will just have to find the fraction that will suit your style :)
Vinny Jul 12, 2013 @ 6:36am 
All the Roman factions were by far more superior than any other factions in Rome I and it's historically accurate.I was hoping that they will make other factions more flexible in diffrent areas so you're not bound to Roman factions.Since this game encourages altering historical timeline then it would be best if developers would open a window to research and development for non-Roman states.
Last edited by Vinny; Jul 12, 2013 @ 6:39am
Dave Hedgehog Jul 12, 2013 @ 8:06am 
Originally posted by jamiedonaghy:
Pontus will require a dlc
The Pontus dlc is a free day one download.
JackoftheBlacks Jul 12, 2013 @ 9:52am 
You could start as the Iceni (starting location England). You can conquered the whole island and not worry about the Gauls since the Romans would be invading them.
Maxton Jul 12, 2013 @ 9:52am 
well i saw the map that creative assembly released and i am NOT playing as Cartahge becuase they onlyu own 4 territoires and the rest of the territories they control go to there client states
Fluffy Fishy Jul 12, 2013 @ 10:22am 
Parthia, Rome or Iceni are probably the best begginer factions, they have the easiest starts and can isolate themselves fairly early on. They all have compitant militaries too.
Chaunsey Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:22pm 
Originally posted by BlackNid:
In my experiance from the origenal rome, you'd probaply be best starting as one of the roman families. They have the most flexible army and are alide with each other so get a fair comercial start from trade. Also, the senet gives you misions to compleat which helps you actualy get into the game.


rome is only 1 faction in rome 2, there is no senate faction, poltics and national divisions have been made into a more internal political system now.


Originally posted by Fluffy Fishy:
Parthia, Rome or Iceni are probably the best begginer factions, they have the easiest starts and can isolate themselves fairly early on. They all have compitant militaries too.

rome and iceni are definitely good starting factions, as the iceni your isolation will make it relatively easy to conquer the whole of the british isles and build your strength to make inroads into the mainland in full strength.

parthia is maybe tough at first, because although its true that you're backed up to the edge of the map, which allows you to isolate and defned yourself well, you start out in the shadow of the seleucids, there are a ton of seleucid client states surrounding you.

the seleucids and their client states control 7 entire provinces and about half of 2 more, thats like 30 regions.

then you have baktria next door controlling 2 provinces. so as parthia, you have to maintain a defence from southern invasion, but your best early bet is gonna be to expand north

to illustrate what im talking about heres the campaign map, i filled in all the seleucid regions and baktria to give you an idea of what the organized opposition to expansion in the region could look like.

all the gray in the east is what i highlighted, also ignore the egyptian provinces, for some reason the link changed them around some even though i didnt, i only highleted the seleucids and baktria in gray.

{LINK REMOVED}http://goo.gl/WS4wU
juanpablocovini Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:37pm 
carthage is a good one to start, because the states surround it are weak, and you have the sea and the most powerful fleet in the game
Maxton Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:38pm 
yes but the states surrounding you are your clients
Chaunsey Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:48pm 
Originally posted by maxman253:
yes but the states surrounding you are your clients

only 2 are clients, a total of 7 regions, there are 8 other north african regions owned by small factions, you start out at war with a small faction in the south of spain, you could easily take corsica and the other half of sicily, and you could expand into the iberian peninsula quickly.

carthage has a LOT of room to expand early and i think they're one of if not the best positioned factions early.


Last edited by Chaunsey; Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:49pm
Fluffy Fishy Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:16pm 
Originally posted by Chaunsey:
parthia is maybe tough at first, because although its true that you're backed up to the edge of the map, which allows you to isolate and defned yourself well, you start out in the shadow of the seleucids, there are a ton of seleucid client states surrounding you.

the seleucids and their client states control 7 entire provinces and about half of 2 more, thats like 30 regions.

then you have baktria next door controlling 2 provinces. so as parthia, you have to maintain a defence from southern invasion, but your best early bet is gonna be to expand north

Thank you for the map, my opinion is (i may be wrong) that I dont think the client states will be particularly challenging. Yes Selucids will be a strong faction but I think they will struggle early on, their client states will likely to end up declaring war on each other and creating a kind of selucid big civil war. I think as parthia you could probably take advantage of this without much trouble, they are bound to cause issues for each other and you can sweep up some easy prey. The Client states will be poor and without a decent military to defend them, pick on the ones which the Selucids break away from until you are strong enough to take them on properly.

Best part is a lot of them have valuable resources like silk which will be really profitable in the long run. Hope that justifies my chosing Parthia a bit clearer.
Last edited by Fluffy Fishy; Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:17pm
Dave Hedgehog Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:51pm 
Thanks for the map, Chaunsey. That's a hell of a lot of Seleucids. I look forward to trampling all over them with my shiny horsies.
Showing 1-15 of 66 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:19am
Posts: 66