Posted: January 31
In a nutshell: GM:S is waste of money. Write your own 2d engine or use something other.
If you decide to buy it - DO NOT BUY STEAM VERSION.
Game Maker can be a great gamedev tool, but it has a lot of disadvantages authors just don't want to notice.
1) Buying GMS from Steam is just a waste of money. Thanks to the developers, you can't install beta versions and you can't even use standalone version without steam.
2) There is no API for DLLs, like in GM 8.1. That means your DLLs is useless, and really powerful developing methods is disabled.
3) Lack of useful functions. With GM:Studio you need to write it by youself.
4) Scripting language sucks. There is no OOP, as example.
5) Bugs, thousands of bugs. GUI, debugger, even «undo» mechanism, bugs are everywhere.
6) Steam version. YoYos just don't give a f**k. No betas, strange obvious errors, belated updates.
7) Documentation and API. Usable and useful, but _really_ far from perfect.
8) YoYo priorities. They can fix all of this, but they are implementing useless features like GM:Player. So if they won't, GM is dead.
I wanted to make some games using GM:S. Now after a months of work I'm disappointed & demotivated.
Hope this review was able to save you money, time and nerves.