DYMAXION Apr 4, 2013 @ 4:49am
If you're making a Mac version you should make a Linux version
Statistically Linux games on Steam outsell the Mac versions and if you're going to port it to opengl you might as well just release a linux version as well.
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
PrimeSonic Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:01am 
Word from the devs is they aren't making either.
psn_sega651 Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:21am 
I don't realy care if they do, But I would agree if they make one they should make the other. However, depending on how the game was made; it may be imposible, or not cost-effective, to go back after release and reprogram the entire thing to make it work on mac/linux
PrimeSonic Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:59am 
Originally posted by psn_sega651:
... However, depending on how the game was made; it may be impossible, or not cost-effective, to go back after release and reprogram the entire thing to make it work on mac/linux

Emphasis mine. And the ones who make those decisions are SEGA, not Sumo. SEGA has to make sure they're getting their return on investment. Plus Sumo has new projects to tend to so dedicating more man-hours to an already released game (which they are still fixing and working on) probably won't be on the table unless SEGA sees a huge market opportunity that cannot be passed up.
Last edited by PrimeSonic; Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:59am
Xenn Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:00am 
The Mac version of All Stars Racing was just recently made, so it's possible that this could receive one aswell at some point.
PrimeSonic Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:07am 
Originally posted by Xenn499:
The Mac version of All Stars Racing was just recently made, so it's possible that this could receive one aswell at some point.
What? Where?
I just checked the store page and saw nothing to indicate that it has.

Could you provide your source for this information, please.
Xenn Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:12am 
Last edited by Xenn; Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:13am
PrimeSonic Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:19am 
Wow. I'm impressed.

Still, Racing Transformed is a completely new engine. It also relies heavily on the DirectX (a Microsoft product).

Let's also take into account that this Mac release is recent. It's been over two years since the original SEGA All-Stars Racing has been out.
If a non-Windows release happens, it likely won't be very soon.
Sonic in a Dress Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:50am 
I too am jumping on the Linux version bandwagon. If Valve can make Linux native versions all of their classic and current title games to Linux, SUMO can too :P

EDIT:

If you're looking for a reason around the whole not enough users/money to justify, check slide four on https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gamedev/docs/Porting%20Source%20to%20Linux.pdf
Last edited by Sonic in a Dress; Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:52am
johndrinkwater [🐧︀ 🎮] Apr 4, 2013 @ 11:50am 
A Sonic game on Linux would be pretty neat, and I heard this was one of the least terrible ones, so why not SUMO?!
J^P Apr 4, 2013 @ 1:34pm 
doesnt mac version use openGL? unless it runs on wine/windows emulator/etc, it shouldt be too hard to port to linux
DYMAXION Apr 4, 2013 @ 1:47pm 
Originally posted by KDeee:
doesnt mac version use openGL? unless it runs on wine/windows emulator/etc, it shouldt be too hard to port to linux
I doubt it will be using wine or cider so it should be using Opengl.
Sonic in a Dress Apr 4, 2013 @ 1:57pm 
I've tried to run ASRT on Wine, it will not work with the latest releases of Wine.
S0L  [developer] Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:53pm 
Right now there are no plans to port Transformed to Mac or Linux. I'd actually personally like to do it, but it's SEGA's call.

Neither would be straight-forward as we'd need to replace the DirectX integration with OpenGL on the render side and much, much more (for example reading the controllers, networking and more!). I'll never say never, just it's not planned right now.

The original All-Stars Racing just received a port via Feral Interactive, I'm actually personally curious how they did this as I suspect it's based on the 360 version, perhaps I'll download it to see how :P

---
S0L
---
Sonic in a Dress Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:38pm 
Originally posted by S0L:
Right now there are no plans to port Transformed to Mac or Linux. I'd actually personally like to do it, but it's SEGA's call.

Neither would be straight-forward as we'd need to replace the DirectX integration with OpenGL on the render side and much, much more (for example reading the controllers, networking and more!). I'll never say never, just it's not planned right now.

The original All-Stars Racing just received a port via Feral Interactive, I'm actually personally curious how they did this as I suspect it's based on the 360 version, perhaps I'll download it to see how :P

---
S0L
---

I understand that at the end of the day it is SEGA who gives the green light or red light to ideas. That said I cannot really consider the DirectX issue a valid excuse given that, as I pointed out before, Valve just ported not one but two entire game engines to Linux. One of the engines, Source, being an entirely DirectX implementation up until the port to OpenGL/SDL :P
Tweakedenigma Apr 4, 2013 @ 8:00pm 
I would buy this in an instant. Actually I would buy virtually any Sega game ported over.

There is some precedence for this as well as The Cave and Spiral Knights are both Sega published games that have Linux ports. (granted Spiral Knights isn't on Steam for Linux yet.)
Last edited by Tweakedenigma; Apr 4, 2013 @ 8:00pm
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 4, 2013 @ 4:49am
Posts: 30