Beardo Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:15am
Game crashes on launch, nothing has worked
I've googled all the solutions, tried everything. Nothing has worked. I get no error message, just "executable has stopped working". I checked the event log and it says the offended module is fmodex.dll file. Google yields nothing about that file, and I don't even know if that's really the problem. I've deleted and redownloaded that file and the whole game several times.

-GFWL launches and logs in fine, I've reinstalled it so many times
-I've set every executable in the folder to admin/compatability mode
-the windows assistant service is running and has been restarted
-any solution you find through google has likely already been tried

I'm really at the end of my rope and am starting to want my money back for a game that doesn't work.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
PingouinLeMagicien Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:50am 
Did you really completely uninstall ALL the GFWL products (Market place AND Live Redistributable) and install the new versions after? I know you say you did it...but thats what the guys that had the same issue said helped them...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/846940247621225610/
Last edited by PingouinLeMagicien; Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:51am
Beardo Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:52am 
Yeah, i didn't even have it installed when this whole thing started but I've downloaded several different versions, and uninstalled both programs a few times.
Feyerholm Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:55am 
i got downloaed it and i can't launch it don't really know why :/
Last edited by Feyerholm; Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:55am
PingouinLeMagicien Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by Beardo:
Yeah, i didn't even have it installed when this whole thing started but I've downloaded several different versions, and uninstalled both programs a few times.

Hmm... Do you have win8 or 7? Waht are you pc specs ?
PingouinLeMagicien Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by YOTE NercoFear:
i got downloaed it and i can't launch it don't really know why :/

Do you have win 7 or 8? What happens when you tru to launch the game?
Beardo Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:07am 
windows 7 x64, geforce 650, enough ram, 3.1 ghz cpu. I meet all the minimum and recommended specs for the game and have had no problems with any other games. All my gfx drivers are up to date and I reinstalled my sound driver because someone somewhere said that might be an issue.
PingouinLeMagicien Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:18am 
Originally posted by Beardo:
windows 7 x64, geforce 650, enough ram, 3.1 ghz cpu. I meet all the minimum and recommended specs for the game and have had no problems with any other games. All my gfx drivers are up to date and I reinstalled my sound driver because someone somewhere said that might be an issue.

This is right and you have win7, which usually gets you less issues... hmmm.... man, I seriously don't know. Did you try to log in Marketplace and then to run Dark souls?
Harry.zn Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:28am 
Hello guys, I have the same problem with crash after start. Haven't seen any sign DONT BUY THIS IF YOU HAVE Win8 :/
My system:
Win 8.1 64bit, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, NVidia 660.
Instaler tryed to install market place, but it wasnt working.
[RG]Phantom Virus Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:32am 
I have the same issues... The game instantly crashes after start. This is really ticking me off!
PingouinLeMagicien Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:32am 
Originally posted by Harry.zn:
Hello guys, I have the same problem with crash after start. Haven't seen any sign DONT BUY THIS IF YOU HAVE Win8 :/
My system:
Win 8.1 64bit, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, NVidia 660.
Instaler tryed to install market place, but it wasnt working.

For win8, see for instance this thread:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864973981083329287/?l=french

In any case, the issue is often in GFWL. Unistall bothe Market place and the Live redistrubutable and install the latest version.
Last edited by PingouinLeMagicien; Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:33am
Harry.zn Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:39am 
Thanks for advice. I hope it will help :) I was looking for new GFWL at windows store but havent found anything.
Wullfie Nov 30, 2013 @ 8:44am 
Re-install Dark Souls, that's what I did. But make sure ALL he files are gone, because the DATA file really likes to stick around when it shouldn't.
Harry.zn Nov 30, 2013 @ 9:02am 
Dont have to reinstal, its already working.....only windows live is doing problems....*@#!!$^(
Spherax Nov 30, 2013 @ 9:08am 
Hey. I made a thread elaborating a few potential fixes.

Are you using a controller?
Harry.zn Nov 30, 2013 @ 9:09am 
who the hell invented this crap??? Why it cant work through steam like everything else??? Windows Live says theres a network problem(sure) or WL service isnt working.... This game is really hard core even to log in.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 30, 2013 @ 7:15am
Posts: 22