Constructive criticism before I ask for a refund
I bought this game on the assumption it was complete and fully playable. It is not complete (as the game itself admits on the splash screen) and major game-breaking pieces are missing, which I shall detail below. It's a shame because there is the basis for a fantastic game here, but all I get out of it at the moment is frustration.
1. The campaign mode can't tell when you've won, so it just keeps cycling through day after day after day when you control all systems, the AI has no money and some brains left.
2. Defending a region in the campaign is trivial. Space a couple of guys across the map and when the enemy brain tries to land, control the nearest guy and simply kill it. It involves no skill or effort and make every territory you own invincible.
3. The player versus player mode is broken, in as much as you can place your troops anywhere. Including directly next to the enemy brain.... Add in other stupid things like being able to place as much gold anywhere you like (it's in 'Terrain'), then you need some self enforced 'rules' to make it playable.
4. Actors, including the brain, spontaneously die. I havn't been able to figure out what's causing it, but on numerous occasions, without cause, an actor bursts into meaty chunks for no reason (no, not mines)
5. No fullscreen mode. Really?! I don't have an odd machine or anything, it just spazzed the hell out until it gave up and forced me into a window mode.
6. I then tried the games suggestion of playing on my TV instead. The writing doesn't scale. I've got a 40" TV and was sat less than a foot away from it so I could the read bloody text...
7. You can get into a stalemate and the game can't detect it, so you're stuck forever. If both you and your enemy have no money left, no way of getting money and all your mobile actors have died, there's nothing left to do but sit and look at the screen for all eternity. If it happens in campaign mode, it's a bigger pain.
8. You only ever attack with a brain and an AA gun. Even if you've invested 10k into the attack, you land with one brain and and AA gun.. It's the reverse problem of point 2. There is effectively no way of taking a heavily defended region as you die before you even land.
9. The game page states 'Multiplayer'. Perhaps it's Steams fault for not specifying, but 'split-screen' is not what most people would consider to be multiplayer...
I'll finish on a positive though. There is a the basis of an absoloutely brilliant game here. If I manage to get my money back, I'll certainly buy this again if it's completed. I'd just rather have that money back now so I can play something else that actually works in the mean time..