Open letter @ Data Realms: CC & needed fixes (constructive)
/Sign this with a post if you agree.
This is supposed to be constructive criticism, not flame bait, so if you have anything sensible to add to this list please do, if you're just here to be a fanboy, please don't, you won't help to actually improve anything by wearing pink glasses and defending the status quo to the death.
Here we go:
1) Fix RESOLUTION PROBLEMS—it's absurd that a modern game has this many problems with simply adapting to different screen resolutions. For some people the game is completely unplayable, if i hadn't messed around with the game files i probably would have had to accept the perma-black/pink screen and call the 17 euros wasted entirely... A release quality game should not require the user to get into the game directory and fix things on his own.
2) Fix FONT SCALING—partly connected with the above, the fonts should change with resolution and scale, sounds banal but is direly needed for readability. Very difficult to read item descriptions etc. during the heat of battle.
3) Fix WRONG/ABSENT DESCRIPTIONS—this goes both for scenarios AND the Tradestar Midas buy interface. Quite hilarious that on scenario maps coming WITH the game the description tells you to ask the maker to put in a description; hint taken... But really it's frustrating to start a local multiplayer only map, pain stakingly build a sprawling death trap of a bunker, only to realise 40 minutes afterwards that there is no AI support for the map.
4) Fix THE TUTORIAL—i realize that it cant take you too much by the hand, also because of engine's limitations, but at the very least try to find a way and convey ALL the necessary information to the player, otherwise you're left to figure simple things such as some of the key bindings on your own and that just adds to the frustration. Try to make it more in-depth, more than fixing it just needs expanding!
5) Fix THE CAMPAIGN—winning/losing conditions are still buggy, make sure the game over/victory conditions really get registered and possibly add a win/lose screen for the player, doesn't have to be anything fancy but at the very least it would be an ending. The planetary strategic layer also could use some fine tuning; why do i need to click "continue" buttons multiple times to get through one single turn?
6) Fix THE INTERFACE—As i said in my review the radial menu is pretty smart, but i would like to have an easier time deselecting an unit, have free scrolling on the map, cancelling a bunker module that i didn't want to place or selecting multiple units OR having a key shortcut to have Midas drop another of what i ordered last time (would make ordering multiple units or carpet bombing much more user friendly).
7) Fix THE AI—i know it's probably very challanging to build an AI for such complex physics based terrain, but atleast have auto gold mining work as intended and get the units not to die for absolutely no reason; it's a game breaker when the brain (both yours and enemy) kills itself for absolutely no reason (i'm not talking about the funny and completely warranted deaths, like by dropship to the head, etc.)
8) Fix THE FRAMERATE—i realize this is a performance issue and may vary from rig to rig, but even if you play CC on a fairly modern computer, it tends to slow down A LOT after a while of combat. Settable limits on actor numbers, both AI and player, could help fix this issue.
9) Paradoxically, take away the in-game "this is a work in progress and needs polishing" and the "play this with friends on HD TV!" messages, by having them there you're actually ruining the suspension of misbelief and making users more aware of little bugs they otherwise would just happily ignore admidst all the mayhem. It's enough you warn people about the beta status on your site and on Steam (...)... Actually if you take the above steps to heart and fix the issues i think you could truly call it 1.0!
Some of these things are potentially VERY SIMPLE to fix... Like the descriptions; just a matter of adding text... Yet it would add a lot to the polish and douse some of your users frustration! I want to like CC, otherwise i wouldn't have spent money on it! Please make the game all it could be (your words, Data).
Ultima modifica da NIL0S
3 ott 2012, ore 6:26