Caine Sep 26, 2013 @ 11:49am
got probs with alchemy
so i wanna learn moire about alchemy but i dont quite understand it yet, i got many recipes already but i dunno which gives you what, i check the ingredients of course too but dunno where to get specific ones. any help or tutorials out there?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Talesan Sep 26, 2013 @ 12:19pm 
You'll find ingredients typically from monster drops (requires bestiary entries from books or people to tell you them) or from plants growing from the ground. You'll need books or people to tell you about the plants similar to the monster drops.

When you're meditating at a bonfire it'll show the ingredients you need for a certain potion as well as what kind of alcohol base you need (typically a strong base is required). These can be found in barrels or bought from inns.

Ingredients have certain properties to them such as the green icon being Rebis. When meditating it'll show if you can make certain potions or not under the potion tab. If you can't you're missing some ingredients and it'll tell you what you need. Hover over your alchemy inventory to see what ingredients give what alchemical substance as they may give more than one each.
Caine Sep 27, 2013 @ 5:01am 
thanks a lot mate, but it seems you cannot do potions yourself to try out?
i just wanted to make some SWALLOW potions but all STRONG alcohols didnt fit they gave me only 3 slots :( how can i get more swallow potions? this game is somehow hard at potions...
Last edited by Caine; Sep 27, 2013 @ 6:25am
flamingskull Sep 27, 2013 @ 7:06am 
You can only make one potion at a time. If you need more potions, you'll have to meditate multiple times.
Plus, each potion requires only one alcoholic base, and some potions require higher quality alcoholic bases and for others a lower quality alcoholic base is enough.
The game itself will tell you that: if you see a potion's name greyed out it means you can't make that potion at the moment because you miss some ingredient or an appropriate alcoholic base. If you point the mouse over the potion's name you'll see what you're missing.
Last edited by flamingskull; Sep 27, 2013 @ 7:08am
DecayWolf Sep 27, 2013 @ 7:22am 
Originally posted by flamingskull:
You can only make one potion at a time. If you need more potions, you'll have to meditate multiple times.
Plus, each potion requires only one alcoholic base, and some potions require higher quality alcoholic bases and for others a lower quality alcoholic base is enough.
The game itself will tell you that: if you see a potion's name greyed out it means you can't make that potion at the moment because you miss some ingredient or an appropriate alcoholic base. If you point the mouse over the potion's name you'll see what you're missing.

Not true friend, you can do as many potions you want, if you have all the ingredients...
For example once time I've made 6 shallow, 3 endurece regeneration (forgot the name), 4 cats and 3 thunderbolt on same meditation, and only cost 1 hour.

_________

About the topic, if your alcoholic bases doesn't fit with shallow, just make that white something, this potion is a base for any potion you want to make.
Once you have one in your inventory the option to make a shallow will be avaliable, if you have all necessary ingredients of course.
Ragnarök Sep 27, 2013 @ 7:41am 
White Gull.
flamingskull Sep 27, 2013 @ 8:18am 
Originally posted by ;864980153238467597:
Not true friend, you can do as many potions you want, if you have all the ingredients...
For example once time I've made 6 shallow, 3 endurece regeneration (forgot the name), 4 cats and 3 thunderbolt on same meditation, and only cost 1 hour.

really? I should have counted the potions then... never did it after brewing one XD
Talesan Sep 27, 2013 @ 12:42pm 
Yeah you can make as many potions you want as long as you have the ingredients.

Pretty much all 'good' potions require a strong alchemical base so always be taking those from barrels or shops.
sidhe_rose Sep 29, 2013 @ 11:05pm 
@Caine: You can make as many potions as you have STRONG alcohol in your inventory. The trick with Inventory space is one of two things:

1. you pick-up or buy ALL THE SAME KIND of something like STRONG alcohol - i.e. buy all Temerian Rye or all Soldiers' Hooch, etc. That way, it only takes up ONE slot in your inventory. If you do that you can have a dozen bottles of one alcohol base in your inventory.

2. If your Inventory is full, when you go to the Hairy Bear Inn or the Narakort Inn, store some of your inventory you don't really need with the Innkeeper, then go buy your alcohol from the waitress there. Like if you have wolf-pelts or books of jewelry - store those. Then again, you can always sell your read books at a considerable discount, or the jewelry or weapons too to clear out your Inventory and also make some orens.

At the Hairy Bear, you can go out to the campfire and meditate and make all your potions, and if you meditate until dawn the next day you can go back and buy more alchohol from the waitress. If you want.

Best thing is to make the White Gull with all your liquor and then make your potions. The medium strength liquors (wines mostly) can't be used really in Alchemy.

The Swamp is a good place to get ingredients - as long as you've read the right books.
Caine Sep 30, 2013 @ 12:17am 
Originally posted by sidhe_rose:
@Caine: You can make as many potions as you have STRONG alcohol in your inventory. The trick with Inventory space is one of two things:

1. you pick-up or buy ALL THE SAME KIND of something like STRONG alcohol - i.e. buy all Temerian Rye or all Soldiers' Hooch, etc. That way, it only takes up ONE slot in your inventory. If you do that you can have a dozen bottles of one alcohol base in your inventory.

2. If your Inventory is full, when you go to the Hairy Bear Inn or the Narakort Inn, store some of your inventory you don't really need with the Innkeeper, then go buy your alcohol from the waitress there. Like if you have wolf-pelts or books of jewelry - store those. Then again, you can always sell your read books at a considerable discount, or the jewelry or weapons too to clear out your Inventory and also make some orens.

At the Hairy Bear, you can go out to the campfire and meditate and make all your potions, and if you meditate until dawn the next day you can go back and buy more alchohol from the waitress. If you want.

Best thing is to make the White Gull with all your liquor and then make your potions. The medium strength liquors (wines mostly) can't be used really in Alchemy.

The Swamp is a good place to get ingredients - as long as you've read the right books.

thanks a lot mate! im a bit sad that you cant really pick up many weapons and sell them, you can only pick one, sell 1 and get back and take 1 :(
this way you could have get more weapons at once to sell ;).
flamingskull Sep 30, 2013 @ 2:06am 
luckily, you can do that in The Witcher 2... I found that strange, too... also because in the first 2-3 chapters I was always in a desperate need of orens XD
Caine Sep 30, 2013 @ 2:56am 
great cannot wait to play 2 then ;D
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 26, 2013 @ 11:49am
Posts: 11