Causes For "Unable To Initialize OpenGL" Discussion Thread + FIX!
I'm sure many of you have experienced this. I have too. I think I have discovered a few possible causes for it.
1. One of the most likely: Problems with Optimus.
I have an Alienware M14x R1. The Intel HD 3000 graphics processor is what controls the internal display. An external monitor plugged in through HDMI is controlled by the dedicated graphics, in my case, a GT555M. External monitor, doesn't work no matter what resolution it's running. Internal display, it starts and runs fine. Possibly a problem with Optimus. If you get this issue, does your laptop have Optimus technology?
2. Dedicated graphics pushing a monitor.
This is a general one. If you have a dedicated GPU pushing a monitor, it might make it fail. It might only run on Intel HD powered displays, even if you have a dedicated GPU. If you have a desktop and have a monitor plugged into a dedicated GPU, and you do get this error, are you using HDMI or VGA or DVI? Tell us more info.
3. Possible problem with HDMI connections?
Not at all sure about this one, bit of a shot in the dark. HDMI could make it fail. If you use a monitor, tell us how it's plugged in.
Let's congregate some info here. Try not to post without reading. Don't post duplicate info unless it hasn't been confirmed yet. And I don't think logs are all that important, copied from the error screen. Just describe your setup a bit. Thank you!
EDIT: User vault2049 has posted a working fix! Worked for us anyway, try it!
1. Navigate to C:\Users\*your username*\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 3 BFG\base and find file "D3BFGConfig.cfg"
2. Open file with Notepad (I use Notepad++, great program) and edit line r_fullscreen "1" and set it to "3".
3. Go into game and set Monitor 3 resolution to your res.
Hope it helps!