DOOM 3: BFG Edition

DOOM 3: BFG Edition

View Stats:
streaks_art May 11, 2014 @ 9:36pm
Atmosphere: Doom3 BFG
I've read around the net about Doom 3 vs. Doom 3 BFG. Lots of gripes about how Doom 3 BFG is just the original Doom 3, ported to consoles, then ported back again to PC.

I've seen the video comparison concerning the atmosphere and I must admit, Doom3 is much better than Doom3 BFG. A game's atmosphere is NOT JUST GRAPHICS. Ultimately, atmosphere is the feeling you get inside when playing a game (or reading a book or watching a TV show). If a game is actiony, then you feel pumped. If its scary, then you feel suspense, etc.

Doom3, the original, was meant to be scary. Yes, you are a badass marine well-trained to use deadly weapons a lot of which are overkill. But so what? You are going against demons. You think they care? No. You think you can point a gun at a demon and make it cower, make it surrender, make it do what you want? No. So go ahead and shoot, blow them up for all its worth. They'll just keep coming from the dark corners.

And you, badass marine, are running out of ammo.


So there is that intimidation factor on top of that suspense. A simple change in lighting can truly destroy that.

Atmosphere. Case in point - Alan Wake.



Going back to Doom 3 BFG - Can You Make This Game Darker? I mean lessen the brightness of the lights? Brightness, contrast, gamma?

From what I've read, there are serious limitations to the video options.

I'd be more inclined to get it if you can change the lighting back to how the game was.


PS: Shoulder-mounted flashlight? It would have made more sense if it was weapon-mounted, or head-mounted. Whatever, just a minor gripe personally.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
RockySpectrum May 16, 2014 @ 2:53pm 
Yeah, unfortunately, the atmosphere is 'badly damaged'. Just a port from consoles.

And concerning the flashlight: did you notice how it is attached to the player? It is literally GOING THROUGH the body! It seems like the protagonist is some kind of cyborg now. Such a shame.
Standardstyle May 24, 2014 @ 3:50am 
Rocky Spectrun its attached to his armor, its not going through his body. As someone who has played both, I can say that the damage to the games atmosphere is largely over-exaggerated. I love doom 3 a lot, but the differences in the two games weren't enough to shy me away from the BFG edition. Its a poorly done reboot yes, but its still Doom 3, and its funding for the new Doom that I am sure ID desperately needs. And if you really want less light, open the console and type "clearlights", this will make the only source of light your flashlight, and i think fireballs from imps and stuff also still light up. Dark enough for you now?
Last edited by Standardstyle; May 24, 2014 @ 3:52am
streaks_art May 25, 2014 @ 12:59am 
Originally posted by Standardstyle:
Rocky Spectrun its attached to his armor, its not going through his body. As someone who has played both, I can say that the damage to the games atmosphere is largely over-exaggerated. I love doom 3 a lot, but the differences in the two games weren't enough to shy me away from the BFG edition. Its a poorly done reboot yes, but its still Doom 3, and its funding for the new Doom that I am sure ID desperately needs. And if you really want less light, open the console and type "clearlights", this will make the only source of light your flashlight, and i think fireballs from imps and stuff also still light up. Dark enough for you now?

Meh, not really. Turning off all sources of light except from the flashlight is not the same atmosphere. I just want to dim all sources of light as I see fit.
Standardstyle May 25, 2014 @ 4:08am 
Originally posted by streaks_art:
Originally posted by Standardstyle:
Rocky Spectrun its attached to his armor, its not going through his body. As someone who has played both, I can say that the damage to the games atmosphere is largely over-exaggerated. I love doom 3 a lot, but the differences in the two games weren't enough to shy me away from the BFG edition. Its a poorly done reboot yes, but its still Doom 3, and its funding for the new Doom that I am sure ID desperately needs. And if you really want less light, open the console and type "clearlights", this will make the only source of light your flashlight, and i think fireballs from imps and stuff also still light up. Dark enough for you now?

Meh, not really. Turning off all sources of light except from the flashlight is not the same atmosphere. I just want to dim all sources of light as I see fit.

Then play the original Doom 3. Games aren't perfect.
Last edited by Standardstyle; May 25, 2014 @ 4:09am
streaks_art May 25, 2014 @ 8:00am 
Yeah, guess I will.

'Till next discount.
mahon007 May 25, 2014 @ 9:23am 
My thoughts, they (ID) did not just re-release DOOM 3, they let everyone know in pre-release interviews that they changed the lighting. pace of gameplay, ammo and some of the level design to make the game play more toward the original games and not a slow crawl fest. I have both, they both have their merits for different reasons, I enjoy the BFG edition, as for the lighting you can make it dark if I shut my flashlight off I can not see if most areas, but I am a interplanetary marine I have tech, I have a shoulder mounted flashlight. I have to say I always was bugged in the original release why the marine could not find any duct tape on mars to mount his flashlight to his weapon but I understand the design. My original disk is long gone but I bought them all on STEAM for like $14.00 and enjoy them all, for the original games I highly suggest the Brutal DOOM mod, mega fun.
streaks_art May 25, 2014 @ 10:17am 
Originally posted by mahon007:
My thoughts, they (ID) did not just re-release DOOM 3, they let everyone know in pre-release interviews that they changed the lighting. pace of gameplay, ammo and some of the level design to make the game play more toward the original games and not a slow crawl fest. I have both, they both have their merits for different reasons, I enjoy the BFG edition, as for the lighting you can make it dark if I shut my flashlight off I can not see if most areas, but I am a interplanetary marine I have tech, I have a shoulder mounted flashlight. I have to say I always was bugged in the original release why the marine could not find any duct tape on mars to mount his flashlight to his weapon but I understand the design. My original disk is long gone but I bought them all on STEAM for like $14.00 and enjoy them all, for the original games I highly suggest the Brutal DOOM mod, mega fun. :pyro:

That's the other side of the coin in my case. I've played the original DOOM3, and really, I was like, "Hi tech marines? Can't hold flashlight without putting weapon down? I mean they should even have night-vision goggles here or something!"

But as I understand it, they now have mods for that, like the flashlight is on the weapon?
mahon007 May 25, 2014 @ 10:58am 
They have MODs for the original DOOM 3 to have weapon mounted flashlights, yes. Then in the BFG edition you have a shoulder mounted flashlight with a limited battery life via "Alan Wake".

Originally posted by streaks_art:
Originally posted by mahon007:
My thoughts, they (ID) did not just re-release DOOM 3, they let everyone know in pre-release interviews that they changed the lighting. pace of gameplay, ammo and some of the level design to make the game play more toward the original games and not a slow crawl fest. I have both, they both have their merits for different reasons, I enjoy the BFG edition, as for the lighting you can make it dark if I shut my flashlight off I can not see if most areas, but I am a interplanetary marine I have tech, I have a shoulder mounted flashlight. I have to say I always was bugged in the original release why the marine could not find any duct tape on mars to mount his flashlight to his weapon but I understand the design. My original disk is long gone but I bought them all on STEAM for like $14.00 and enjoy them all, for the original games I highly suggest the Brutal DOOM mod, mega fun.

That's the other side of the coin in my case. I've played the original DOOM3, and really, I was like, "Hi tech marines? Can't hold flashlight without putting weapon down? I mean they should even have night-vision goggles here or something!"

But as I understand it, they now have mods for that, like the flashlight is on the weapon?
streaks_art May 25, 2014 @ 4:47pm 
Originally posted by mahon007:
They have MODs for the original DOOM 3 to have weapon mounted flashlights, yes. Then in the BFG edition you have a shoulder mounted flashlight with a limited battery life via "Alan Wake".

Originally posted by streaks_art:

That's the other side of the coin in my case. I've played the original DOOM3, and really, I was like, "Hi tech marines? Can't hold flashlight without putting weapon down? I mean they should even have night-vision goggles here or something!"

But as I understand it, they now have mods for that, like the flashlight is on the weapon?


Ooooh, can you squeeze it and more light comes out ala Alan Wake too? :D
mahon007 May 25, 2014 @ 5:52pm 
Actually just the battery life is simular to "Alan Wake" so if you leave it on too long it can die out at a not so perfect moment.
DrQuagmire1 May 26, 2014 @ 9:40am 
Originally posted by mahon007:
Actually just the battery life is simular to "Alan Wake" so if you leave it on too long it can die out at a not so perfect moment.

except the battery for the flashlight recharges itself
mahon007 May 26, 2014 @ 10:04am 
Yes which is good, but you have to manage the use of it.

Originally posted by RC***Sgt.D_Nukem***:
Originally posted by mahon007:
Actually just the battery life is simular to "Alan Wake" so if you leave it on too long it can die out at a not so perfect moment.

except the battery for the flashlight recharges itself
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: May 11, 2014 @ 9:36pm
Posts: 12