Zamieszczono: 26 października
Let's keep my review simple. I will assume you know what a 4X space game is about and just list how Endless Space fares in my opinion.
What Endless Space does really well:
- Impressive graphics
- Keeps micromanagement surprisingly low
- Balanced tech-tree
- Even with differences in research levels, battles are still not one-sided
- The KI opponents are quite capable diplomats. Where I usually NEVER accept an offer from KI-opponents in other games, the "Endless Space" ones managed to "sell" me deals by offering the right incentives.
What it does okay (meaning it's nothing special):
- Several ways to win
- Different species and the option to create your own
- The KI opponents are quite good although they do get an unfair ingame advantage. I would prefer to be able to choose their difficulty AND the amount of "advantage" they get seperately.
- Diplomatic options have to be researched. While it does make for an interesting game mechanic I would still prefer to have all diplomatic options from the start.
What is missing:
- No espionage, sabotage, inciting rebellions etc.
- There is basically NOTHING besides the respective faction-intro to evoke some atmosphere in the game. Even when you finally win you only get a small picture of your faction and a rather neutral text telling you that you've just achieved economic / military / scientifiy victory.
All in all I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. It's very good and addictive but putting some atmosphere in there (voice-overs, a few animated messages etc.) would go a long way. Having some espionage and full access to diplomatic functions from the start would also help to make it even better.