… that have probably already been mentioned multiple times. Hey, may as well mention them anyways.
- Improve the song-search system. I read that you guys wanted to do something "different," but as it stands, it's just a pain to find songs. The option to browse by folder (a la Audiosurf), or even a search function, would be immensely useful. I also don't buy into it being too late to change it; games do major overhauls all the time, and there's no reason you guys couldn't with this, while still maintaining the importance of items gained from songs.
- Make enemy fire easily noticeable. The flashing multicolored dot that some ships fire is clear enough, in most cases, but then there's things like the ring that the manta ray enemies can fire, or the red shots from some of the bosses (and enemies, on higher difficulties), or the beam-o'-death that the rectangular enemy can shoot — those are all rather hard to see, especially on red intensity. It would be nice if their color changed to be opposite whatever the background is, instead of just becoming borderlne undetectable, because they just feel like cheap ways to kill the player at the moment.
- Give Invincibility a visible timer. Whenever a game gives you an invulnerability power-up, it either drops a timer over you, or makes you flash a second or two before it's about to wear off, or something else to similar effect. That is a good thing. I'm kind of more focused on going around and shooting things, than having to mentally count to five/eight/ten. Respawning already makes your ship flash while it's invincible, so I don't get why the same effect hasn't been added to the tail end of the power-up.
- Make the bomb item remove bullets in its blast radius. It's cool that it destroys enemy ships, but when the explosion is so apparent that it can hide enemy shots, it's a little bit less useful than one would hope for, especially since the invincibility powerup just lets you ram face-first into things for the same result, but over a longer period. Bombs in other shmups get rid of enemies and their projectiles for a reason!
- Keyboard controls. I might be in the minority here, but I enjoy playing my shmups with a keyboard every now and again, and I can't seem to find an option for it.
- Related to the above, the option to remap controls.
- Graphical options to tone down the flashiness. On some songs, all the notes and such that go flying out of defeated enemies can look neat, but on more energetic ones, they end up just obscuring the field, the item drops, and incoming enemy fire. That's not even getting into how it can make the game lag, either.
- Possibly make chain duration related to the interval between chain+ item drops? If the game already does this, it does it kinda unpredictably.
Aaaaaand that's everything I can think of for the time being. Feedback, name-calling, insults, etc. welcome.