Ys Origin > General Discussions > Topic Details
NickyWhat Dec 31, 2013 @ 12:30pm
Just picked up Ys I & II , should I go ahead and pick this up too?
I have never played the Ys games before and only awhile go was I made aware of it's existence (it's debut on Steam no less) , history and fame. So with the community sale I went ahead and picked up the chronicles set, I don't have time to start up the games due to backlog ( I can't play an rpg unless I intend to follow through to the end) but I'm wondering if Origins is a perfect buy to go hand to hand with I & II and get it while it's on sale?
Last edited by NickyWhat; Dec 31, 2013 @ 12:31pm
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
< >
Phoenix (yes, another one) Dec 31, 2013 @ 12:44pm 
All the Ys games are great if you like action RPGs that focus more around game play, and story, with great music, than say loot fest ones like the Diablo type of action RPG do. I&II play rather differently than Origin and Felghana do. There is a demo you could try for Origin to see if you like the control type used in Origin and Felghana, it's more the standard isometric hack and slash with magic type though, so nothing too out of the ordinary. Ys I&II uses the same combat style as the original release back in 1987 where you need to bump into things in the right way, and time. It may sound odd, but once you get into it it's pretty fun, mind you I started with Ys back in 1990, so I'm used to it.
Last edited by Phoenix (yes, another one); Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:28pm
NickyWhat Dec 31, 2013 @ 12:50pm 
I love practically all kinds of rpgs, grew up into the Final Fantasy series, Diablo, Breath of Fire, Xenosaga and the tons of other wonderful titles, so I'm all up for story and combat! Was wanting to hear thoughts from fans (especially long time players familiar with the series) and i'll take you up on checking out the demo! Trying to be a little more savvy with my money since Steam Sales drag me to wallet hell xD but at the same time I don't want to pass up on something and regret it a day later.
Sara  [developer] Dec 31, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
Origin's story is a great complement to I & II.
Quint the Electric Catfish Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
Origin is probably a more intuitive game; I & II have a rather unique combat system (not that that's a bad thing), but Origin has "press button to swing sword" like most action RPGs do.

Also, in my opinion, Origin has a legendary soundtrack.

So yes, I highly recommend Ys Origin.
Last edited by Quint the Electric Catfish; Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:01pm
Redgrave Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:03pm 
What kind of question its that?
GO GET IT!
NickyWhat Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:05pm 
Originally posted by Redgrave:
What kind of question its that?
GO GET IT!

Hahah :p lovely response! Well as someone who hasn't played the series and just dove into buying the first two, was wanting some food for thought ;P
Redgrave Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:07pm 
Originally posted by NickyWhat:
Originally posted by Redgrave:
What kind of question its that?
GO GET IT!

Hahah :p lovely response! Well as someone who hasn't played the series and just dove into buying the first two, was wanting some food for thought ;P

It'll be your Best. Purchase. EVER.
Frosty Pookie Eddie Eddie Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
if you want to get into the story of the YS series than the order is this . Origin, Ts I & II , YSs Oath (Ys third installmenr) IV and V never been remade yet for the PC so you might have to dig for an emulator and a translated version for those two. Then Ys VI Ark of Napshitim which is already translated but havent been offically licensed to come to america unless you look around the internet for that unoffically translated patch for the PC version. But the PS2 had it in english with voice acting in it.
Last edited by Frosty Pookie Eddie Eddie; Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:43pm
Quint the Electric Catfish Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:43pm 
...did Steam just censor "Napishtim"?
Edit: No, I guess you just misspelled it.
Last edited by Quint the Electric Catfish; Dec 31, 2013 @ 1:43pm
Aifread Dec 31, 2013 @ 9:05pm 
Originally posted by Frosty Pookie Eddie Eddie:
if you want to get into the story of the YS series than the order is this . Origin, Ts I & II , YSs Oath (Ys third installmenr) IV and V never been remade yet for the PC so you might have to dig for an emulator and a translated version for those two. Then Ys VI Ark of Napshitim which is already translated but havent been offically licensed to come to america unless you look around the internet for that unoffically translated patch for the PC version. But the PS2 had it in english with voice acting in it.

Ys IV/Celceta comes before Ys III/Felghana in the timeline. Also, Ys VI was released in America on PS2 and PSP (I recommend the PS2 version). Otherwise, that is the order of the games in the timeline, although since Ys Origin is a relatively recent entry in the series, it contains several references to Ys VI, as does the remake of Ys III, Ys: The Oath in Felghana. If you own a Vita, I would also recommend checking out Ys: Memories of Celceta, as that is the canonical version of the Ys IV story which sets up a lot of background information for the rest of the series.
ansinoa Jan 3 @ 7:30am 
In my opinion, Origin is MUCH MUCH more playable than YS I and II. If you play YS Chronicles (I and II) and like them, you will definitely love Origin. I started out with Origin, and let me tell you the music is fan-tastic. I've also played Oath, etc. Currently Origin is my 3rd most played game out of 35, so you can see it's pretty awesome (; You can play from 3 different characters (one is unlocked after playing through the story a frist time) and each story is different, as well as each character, with only one canon story. As I said, if you catch it on sale and haven't already bought it, do. Absolutely, buy Origin. I recommend it to any of my friends who play RPG-like games. In fact it was my first PC game that wasn't fully rendered 3D graphics (like FF, Dragon's Dogma, etc), and I have loved every moment of it ;3 be prepared though, YS can have some challenging bosses if you don't like grinding!
Aifread Jan 3 @ 9:55am 
While it is true that Origin is a bit less dated than I & II, I still recommend playing I & II first for story reasons, as you will catch a lot more of the subtle references that way (many of them would seem insignificant if you started with Origin). Origin also contains a number of references to Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (including the origin of the villains and their power), so I recommend looking up some of the backstory there if you don't have a way of playing it yourself.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana, by comparison, has very little tie-ins to the rest of the series (save for one right before the final boss) and features the modern engine that was later used in Origin, so that's probably the best starting point. It's also widely regarded as by fans (myself included) as the best in the series.

I'd also like to point out that although these games are RPGs, don't expect them to be the same length as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (Ys Seven seems to be a lone exception). You should have no problem beating each game in less than a week, so don't feel like you have to commit a lot of your time to finishing these games.
ansinoa Jan 3 @ 10:01am 
Originally posted by Aifread:
While it is true that Origin is a bit less dated than I & II, I still recommend playing I & II first for story reasons, as you will catch a lot more of the subtle references that way (many of them would seem insignificant if you started with Origin). Origin also contains a number of references to Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (including the origin of the villains and their power), so I recommend looking up some of the backstory there if you don't have a way of playing it yourself.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana, by comparison, has very little tie-ins to the rest of the series (save for one right before the final boss) and features the modern engine that was later used in Origin, so that's probably the best starting point. It's also widely regarded as by fans (myself included) as the best in the series.

I'd also like to point out that although these games are RPGs, don't expect them to be the same length as Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (Ys Seven seems to be a lone exception). You should have no problem beating each game in less than a week, so don't feel like you have to commit a lot of your time to finishing these games.

unless you're a completionist like me :P but yes these are good points. Though I feel like Orgin and Chronicles can be interchanged, since they both have a lot in common with eachother and upon playing through either you can understand the other. But origin is multiple playthroughs so if you wanted to play through origin once, then chronicles, then origin again, would not be a bad order especially if it playing the game more than once bores you (which it shouldn't really, because it's pretty different to play as each character. though I am only just now playing as yunica a year later)

I have yet to finish Oath, but definitely should be picked up along with the others if you like any of the games!
Quint the Electric Catfish Jan 3 @ 11:16am 
I started out with Origin, and let me tell you the music is fan-tastic.
This is a major reason Origin is not only one of my favorite Steam games but also one of my favorite games of all time.

Currently Origin is my 3rd most played game out of 35, so you can see it's pretty awesome
I don't go by playtime (if I did you'd think TF2 was my favorite game ever, which it most definitely isn't), though I do think that if I get around to playing through all three routes I should have about 90 hours logged on it, which would put it among my top several Steam games in playtime.

I still recommend playing I & II first for story reasons, as you will catch a lot more of the subtle references that way (many of them would seem insignificant if you started with Origin).
I played Origin first and it's actually similarly interesting seeing all the little things I knew crop up in Ys I & II.

(I haven't played my Steam Ys I or II, but I have played some Ys I NES and I've also seen both Ys I and II anime series. The story there might be slightly different, but the main idea is the same.)

It's also widely regarded as by fans (myself included) as the best in the series.
I wasn't aware of this, but I do want to add that Oath is more difficult than Origin, comparing the same modes.
Aifread Jan 3 @ 11:29am 
Originally posted by bootysharkbait:
unless you're a completionist like me :P but yes these are good points. Though I feel like Orgin and Chronicles can be interchanged, since they both have a lot in common with eachother and upon playing through either you can understand the other. But origin is multiple playthroughs so if you wanted to play through origin once, then chronicles, then origin again, would not be a bad order especially if it playing the game more than once bores you (which it shouldn't really, because it's pretty different to play as each character. though I am only just now playing as yunica a year later)

I have yet to finish Oath, but definitely should be picked up along with the others if you like any of the games!

I never thought of alternating. I guess that would be a good option too. I still agree with one of Wyrdwad's (Tom Lipschultz from XSEED's) posts that Ys I & II would be a better introduction to the land of Ys because you play it through a newcomer's eyes, rather than someone who's lived there their whole lives. But then again I'll never know from direct experience what it would be like playing Origin first.

And speaking of the multiple playthroughs of Origin, I'd like to note that the canonical ending to Origin has a LOT more references to I & II than the other endings do (as well as that tie-in to Ys VI I mentioned in my last post), so that would be good to finish with after playing through I & II.
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50