Ys Origin > General Discussions > Topic Details
PlakRast Jun 23 @ 12:53pm
How many levels and bosses are in this game?
I just want to get some idea of the amount of content the game holds for one playthrough, regardless of the replayability the game has. I'll play it more than once, probably, but can anyone answer this? Also, how long should I expect one playthrough on hard or nightmare to last? Thanks.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Quint S. Akemi Jun 23 @ 7:05pm 
One character's route has...let's see...thirteen bosses?

My first playthrough on Normal took about 20 hours. I think it'll take at least several hours, if not about ten, especially if you jump right into hard.
Last edited by Quint S. Akemi; Jun 23 @ 7:06pm
PlakRast Jun 23 @ 7:22pm 
Originally posted by Quint Monroe:
One character's route has...let's see...thirteen bosses?

My first playthrough on Normal took about 20 hours. I think it'll take at least several hours, if not about ten, especially if you jump right into hard.

Thanks. One other question, is Ys Oath in Felghana significantly different in terms of length or difficulty? I'm trying to figure out which one is the better purchase.
Quint S. Akemi Jun 23 @ 7:22pm 
Also, there are three routes, which go through basically the same path but present different storylines and playstyles. Also bonus modes such as boss rush and arena mode.

I've only ever finished one mode so far. Plan on doing the next one but...never get around to it. Still, I consider the game to be one of my favorite games of all time.
Quint S. Akemi Jun 23 @ 7:24pm 
Originally posted by PlakRast:
Thanks. One other question, is Ys Oath in Felghana significantly different in terms of length or difficulty? I'm trying to figure out which one is the better purchase.
Ys Oath seems to be similar in length, and a little more difficult, even.
PlakRast Jun 23 @ 7:30pm 
Originally posted by Quint Monroe:
Ys Oath seems to be similar in length, and a little more difficult, even.

If they were both the same price, or both had demos, I'd probably have already chosen Origin; I wish I could try out that game to see the difference. As far as Origin goes, having more characters is nice but also being easier is a con. Can anyone who owns both give a recommendation?
Quint S. Akemi Jun 23 @ 7:41pm 
I own both games.

Don't mistake my saying that Origin is easier as saying that Origin is at all easy. It is still quite difficult, but it just felt a little more fun and/or less frustrating. Or maybe it just has a boss theme I like more and thus feels more gratifying, or something...

Both games are top-notch games that are like the pinnacle of action RPG design. Origin is usually priced higher, for some reason -- then again, considering that I like it more, what can I say. I think it has the stronger soundtrack of the two.

Try to be on the lookout for them being discounted -75% and pick them both up.
Last edited by Quint S. Akemi; Jun 23 @ 7:43pm
PlakRast Jun 24 @ 3:34am 
Thanks. I hope they'll be discounted later in the sale!
Quint S. Akemi Jun 24 @ 6:54am 
Oh, and don't mistake my saying that Origin has the better soundtrack as saying that Oath doesn't have a good one. Both of them have stellar soundtracks.

I picked them up at -66%, I think. Though I have picked up gift copies before at -75% on other occasions.
PlakRast Jun 24 @ 7:07am 
Originally posted by Quint Monroe:
Oh, and don't mistake my saying that Origin has the better soundtrack as saying that Oath doesn't have a good one. Both of them have stellar soundtracks.

I picked them up at -66%, I think. Though I have picked up gift copies before at -75% on other occasions.

Yeah, currently -50%. Maybe they'll go lower; in one of the voted bundles maybe? Who knows.
Waypoint Jun 26 @ 10:54pm 
The main reason Origin feels easier than Oath is that the bosses have less ways to randomly ♥♥♥♥ you over. There aren't really any moments like Gyalva spiking the whole floor and divebombing you to death, or Chester dragging out his teleport spam to completely cover the floor with shockwaves longer than you can stay airborne or shield through them. The only Origin fight that really felt unfair, even on Nightmare, was Yunica's fight with Kishgal near the very end. They're still hard as hell, but in a very well-tuned way such that any screwups are definitely on you.

Also, there are three different characters in this game, and all of them fight different midbosses. The third character gets several fights that the other two don't at all.

That said, both are extremely fun, and Origin remains the quickest I've ever gone from demo to purchase.
Last edited by Waypoint; Jun 26 @ 10:59pm
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50