things to do and not do
I've played some MMOs in my day (UrbanDead, Maplestory, TF2, AWA, Crimecraft, APB: Reloaded, etc) and I've learned some things that piss players off and things that make them come back
Things not to do:
1) DO NOT make people pay a monthly fee. There is nothing more irritating than making people pay a monthly fee when they might only play it 5 hours a week. It's especially annoying if you have to buy the game as well. You already paid for the game. Why do you have to keep paying for ♥♥♥♥? That's the reason I didn't play Secret World when it came out.
2) DO NOT add gameplay upgrades (increased shield, damage, etc). If someone's a pro and whooping people's asses, giving them 2x damage really isnt gonna make the game any better for the other team. I've quit more than one MMO *cough* Super Monday Night Combat *cough* and i can tell you that I've almost thrown my laptop against the wall because the opposing team's players were ♥♥♥♥ing gods with better weapons and gear than anyone on my team and we lost again and again and again. It also didn't help that they were complete trolls.
3)DO NOT make the store items last a limited time. Maplestory was the first MMO i played and there were so many items in the store i want to buy, but they only lasted a couple of days. If people have to constantly pay for the same damn item, they're going to stop buying after a few times. Why buy something if you only get to enjoy it for a few days?
4) DO NOT put penalties for leaving a game early. I know people want you to stay in for the long haul but sometimes a person's just gotta go. Plus if you're getting taunted in a match and getting trolled, making that person stay in that match to get beaten over and over really isn't gonna make them have a happy experience.
5)DO NOT increase the prices for the store items. Paying $10 for a premium skin is high enough.
Things to do:
1) DO make a reward system. Maybe add cosmetic rewards for players who play a certain amount of hours, reach a certain rank, or win a certain number of games. If people want something, they'll keep coming back and playing to get it.
2) DO keep rotating characters. I know i keep coming back to it, but Super Monday Night Combat was a nightmare for me. The characters were rotated very slowly (every couple of months) and alot of times the characters that were available were in the same category (tank, assist, etc) and that make my playing experience awful.
3) DO implement a pay to donate to the game. I know this isn't Kickstarter but this game is alot of fun and there should be a way that we, the fans, and show our appreciation, especially those of us that can't afford a skin or a character but have a few cents lying around in our accounts
4) DO increase the types of game modes and number of maps. Sure, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture the Point are fun, but there are so many more modes that could be added. Why not have a duel type match were 2 players enter but only one comes out. One of the reaons Team Fortress 2 is so popular is because of the many different ways people can play. And increase the number of maps. 6 is not enough and 2 of them are just daytime and nighttime versions of the same map.