In the latest update, that has just gone live, we changed the behavior of spikes a bit, making it so that when you hit them, you'll be stunned for a few seconds, instead of dieing instantly.
We noticed in quite a few let's play videos that the extremely punishing nature of spikes didn't fit well with the rest of the game, especially for relatively new players that hadn't memorized all the maps yet. While playing some of the workshop levels ourselves, we experienced what this was like, and how frustrating these spikes can actually be when you're new to a map. No matter how experienced you might be, when you're running in the lead in a map that you haven't played before and run into a spike because you don't see it coming, and then instantly die is, well.. frustrating :)
So, we decided to balance that a little bit by stunning, instead of killing, you. The result we want to achieve is that when you run in to spikes while you're in the lead will not instantly knock you out anymore, but will (only) cost you the lead. However, if you're in last place and run into spikes, well then it's most likely game over, but that's only fair. If you're in second or third place, then it's going to be close ;)
Anyway, this change balances the game a bit in favor towards new players, so we're curious to hear what you, as a community of (probably) more experienced players think of this change.
We also made some changes in the layouts of silo, factory, themepark and powerplant and are curious to hear what you think of these as well!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrI_QNip4L8
Full update list:
- no longer kill you
- you bounce forward and get stunned for a second
- no longer running in front gets you blindly killed
- Redesigned the full right section (not many people were taking the far-right route)
- Added a cannon-boost pad before the big jump and the carousel swing, it shoots you up
- Added an upwards facing boost tunnel at the end of big jump, so people don't fall down
- Redesigned section after the big jump
- Tweaked bottom dual-tunnel section
- Removed the big wall of death at right section, replaced with a more forgiving boost-tunnel that shoots you up
(previous prototype level)
- Now looks like a nightclub! Complete with a DJ and VIP lounge. Can you get into the VIP lounge?!
- Bottom left section changed to include a boost-tunnel that opens if someone triggers a lever
(previous prototype level)
- Now looks like a Silo! What do you think of the visuals?
- Removed triggerable saws
- Changed the right part of the map
- Changed the missile for a boost-tunnel
- Made the part after windmills more fluid