I purchased JSR this evening and found I couldn't get beyond the initial loading screen without waiting for a lengthy period of time, given that the game was running at 1 FPS for whatever reason. I noticed that quite a few players are having the same or similar FPS/loading issues.
Since there's no patch and I get the feeling that there won't be, I've created an unofficial patch to try and sort the issue out.
It's only a quick fix so it comes with the caveat that you need to set the refresh rate for the game to 30hz otherwise the game will run too quickly. See instructions at the end of the post for information on how to do this.
Copy the patched exe linked below to your Steam folder, ensuring you back the original up for safekeeping.Download patched exe[www.mediafire.com]
Default Steam folder (remove the x86 for 32 bit Windows):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jet Set RadioClick here for the VirusTotal scan for reassurance.[www.virustotal.com]
I offer no guarantees regarding the efficacy of this patch given that it's a quick hack.Instructions for forcing the game to 30 FPS after applying the patch:
For Nvidia users with a 60hz refresh rate, this can be done in Nvidia's control panel by creating a profile for the game (or editing the global one) by setting vertical sync to 'adaptive (half refresh rate).Click for settings example for Nvidia users.[i.imgur.com]Solutions for everybody else:MSI Afterburner
- Grab it from here[event.msi.com]
- After installing, start the "MSI Afterburner On-Screen Display Server" (OSD)
- Add a profile for jetsetradio.exe by clicking the plus icon at the bottom left or just use the global settings.
- Click the spanner icon near the top right and change the framerate limit option from 0 to 30.
- Grab it from here[dxtory.com]. The free version can limit the FPS perfectly fine, I believe.
- Start it up and click 'Advanced' (GPU chip icon)
- The last option allows you to enter your desired FPS limit. Enter 30 and make sure the box is ticked.
- Grab it from here[www.bandicam.com]
- Look at the options here[www.bandicam.com]
There are other options but the three above should be enough.
On a side note, I've noticed that even the game's load times are dictated by its 30 FPS cap. Uncap the framerate and suddenly the 10-15 seconds loading times drop to sub 1 second. That's shoddy porting for you I guess.