Verfasst: 19. Januar
I bought this game during a steam sale because of the absolutely glowing reviews it had:
“One of the best shooters to come out in recent years.”
“Don’t mistake price for quality - this is a top-notch shooter.”
Was there some kind of dearth of FPS games in May of 2013 that I wasn't aware of that would make this steaming pile of cow dung somehow rise to the top of a very short list?
Ok ok, let me start over:
- The Graphics were actually nice to look at. Given the fact that there aren't a whole lotta old western video games out there, I don't have much to compare it with. I mean, it's no ALIEN Isolation by any stretch of the imagination, but I wasn't turned away by the visuals at all. Some parts were even downright nice to look at like the swamp level.
- The Story is fun and entertaining. Honestly, this is the only reason to play this game. Crank the difficulty down to zero and sit through the old man's story. I honestly saw part of the ending coming a mile away, and most reasonably intelligent people will too, but the way it's told is great. There's still one twist you won't see coming cause there's no clues along the way, but it's not a rug puller and makes the ending entertaining.
- The name dropping is great. This is an absurd revisionist history of all the old west personalities that you've ever heard of and some you probably never knew existed. For instance, I've watched a lot of westerns in my younger years and never once heard of George "Flat Nose" Curry in my life.
- The game is 100% on rails. There's a couple of times where you can leave the trail, but there's no point unless you're really tied in knots over collecting all of the secrets hidden in the game world. I wasn't. I knew this going on though, so if I was giving this a point rating, I wouldn't deduct points. It aint exactly advertised as open world.
- Weapon variety is terrible and honestly I didn't notice any difference in using either of the 2(3 maybe?) types of pistols I could find.
- The point system and skill upgrades are mostly pointless with 1-2 exceptions. Hell, I didn't even remember the skill system until about 3 missions into the game and by the time I went to apply skill points I had six of them saved up. I honestly could have gone through the entire game with all but one skill upgrade which was the extra ammo skill, and probably didn't even need that one.
- Extremely short game. I beat it very quickly and my playtime only looks longer cause I took the dogs out a couple times while forgetting to pause. It tuns out to be a blessing though, because if I had to put up with the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ moving and shooting mechanics for any longer than it lasted, then I would have quit, watched the ending on YouTube and uninstalled.
- Movement. I never felt like I was a person walking around in this game. I felt like a ghost with no legs floating along the ground with a disembodied hand floating in front of me holding a gun. The normal walk speed felt like jogging and the run speed felt like I had cheat mode turned on. Sidways movement is just as fast as forward and backwards. No one walks backward or sideways that fast. Hell Usain Bolt himself couldn't sprint sidewas as fast as Silas Greaves.
- NPC's are playing on god mode. They can sprint to a tree, aim and headshot you from across the map. If I take my time to make the same shot, then I'm rewarded with "Long Shot!", but apparently all shots are close range for them. I died so many times from some guy running who suddenly stops and takes a snap shot at my skull.... game over.
- Lots of little annoying bugs. Bad guys dying and hanging in the air dead. Shoot a few of them several times thinking they were still alive. Stuck on the environment a couple of times and had to reload the level. Bad guys showing up, but the stuff they're hiding behind not showing up. I'm thinking I'm headshotting them, but when I get closer the grave stone they're behind suddenly pops into view. Just buggy overall.
- Last but not least; the shooting. How in the world anyone thinks this is a good shooter is beyond me. It's straight point and click with no skill whatsoever. I headshotted, and I'm not even exaggerating here, a good 75% of all enemies in every mission. It was absurdly easy to walk through the game headshotting everything. No bullet drop, no hand wobble while aiming, just straight up point and click. Add to that the "concentration mode" and no challenge is too hard. Surrounded by 20 bad guys and you're on the low ground? Hit concentration mode and headshot 15 of them quickly.
Overall, I just can't recommend this game. Even at the super cheap steam sale prices. The story is entertaining, but you can probably find a Cutscene video on YouTube and skip having to suffer through the shooting gallery bits all for free.