Max Payne 3 > General Discussions > Topic Details
暗悪 Marbles Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:58pm
Anyway To Just Get Rid of This Game On Steam?
I kind of like my money back honestly.

I didn't know I had to sign up for yet another account to even get into the game.

People tell me "Oh it only takes 5 seconds to make a new account."
THAT'S NOT THE POINT.
It's the principle of the matter, I want to sit down and enjoy a good game to unwind. I don't want to make another account and another log in just to jump through the devs hoops to play a game I payed for. I won't stand for it,a and I immediatly removed the game from my system the moment they tried to force "Social Club" on me.

Now, I'm glad I made the decision. With a small bit of research it appears without social club, you're not allowed to access games you've payed for. Unstall the program, the games become unusable, cancel social club and your access is denied. This is total BS imho.

More about it can be read here, I found it very informative.
http://www.cheathappens.com/show_board2.asp?headID=115507&titleID=18799


Either way, I won't stand for this. It's why I never bought the PC version of FF7 on steam either, cause of all the extras you have to jump through to play it.

Also before someone says it, there is a difference between between having to log into a digital distribution service to play games, and having to log in to a non-premium game/service to access a game you've purchased in full...

I really which a game would say "Needs additional log in/services" when you're purchasing it. That way I'd know to steer clear (and yes, I know Bioshock 2, GTA4 and a few others had the same problem, but with Windows Live...)
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Lantea Aug 1, 2013 @ 2:14am 
At the end of the day it comes down to just one question, do you want to play the game? If not move on and don't buy it in the first place, but for people that want to play it, logging in to various services like Steam, GFWL, uPlay, R* Social Club, Origin..... etc. is the price we have to pay.
But I totally agree with you, it is getting ridiculous with each game studio comming up with their own service/club etc.
I wish we were back in the day when none of this BS existed on the PC and you could just enjoy the single player part of the game without hassle.
=(eG)= Martial.Lore Aug 1, 2013 @ 10:59am 
The reason for the log ins in the case of MP3 is purely because of multiplayer (I know RockStar use Social Club for "singleplayer" games like L.A. Noire too, but in that case, the "cloud" helps you with interrogations should you wish to learn what line of questioning most gamers made). You would have to log in to play CounterStrike if it wasn't already a Valve tilte which utilizes your Steam login. Games for Windows Live, however, was just Microsoft's attempt to ♥♥♥♥ with everybody because it was utilized across the board, even for games that have no multiplayer content (like Batman Arkham, for example). Social Club is not a big deal if you use password keys or autologin after you set up you're account. It costs no money. And you're missing out on a great game.
SLOWION Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:10pm 
welcome to PC gaming.
暗悪 Marbles Aug 1, 2013 @ 6:40pm 
Originally posted by Lantea:
At the end of the day it comes down to just one question, do you want to play the game? If not move on and don't buy it in the first place, but for people that want to play it, logging in to various services like Steam, GFWL, uPlay, R* Social Club, Origin..... etc. is the price we have to pay.
But I totally agree with you, it is getting ridiculous with each game studio comming up with their own service/club etc.
I wish we were back in the day when none of this BS existed on the PC and you could just enjoy the single player part of the game without hassle.

That's what I was getting it.
When you purchase the game, it says nothing about needing another service account to merely play the game. They should atleast give a warning so we know if we want to deal with it.

I'm an information assurance professional, my training, hell common sense dictates you shouldn't spread your personal data to every company or person who asks for it.

I don't want to make new account, after new account just to play a game I rightfully purchase. I know this is a minor form of DRM and as people have told me only takes "5 seconds" to make a new account, but it's the principle of the matter once again.

As for PC gaming, I've been gaming for years. I was one of Steams early adopters and have been gaming on PC since the 80s. However, many companies are getting ludicrious with the hoops we have to jump through to validate our purchase. You'd think just buying it on steam would be enough, that such things would be disabled on an authorized sales client like Steam, Origin, etc.

Hell, why didn't Max Payne get flack for this crap like FF7 and UbiSoft's Uplay did?
As for other companies, like needing an Origin account, that makes a little more sense because it is another sales/retail client but it still isn't an excuse when bought on a competiting client like steam.

This whole thing just annoys me, and upsets my sensitibilties.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Aug 1, 2013 @ 9:14pm 
Originally posted by Marbles:
I kind of like my money back honestly.

I didn't know I had to sign up for yet another account to even get into the game.

People tell me "Oh it only takes 5 seconds to make a new account."
THAT'S NOT THE POINT.
It's the principle of the matter, I want to sit down and enjoy a good game to unwind. I don't want to make another account and another log in just to jump through the devs hoops to play a game I payed for. I won't stand for it,a and I immediatly removed the game from my system the moment they tried to force "Social Club" on me.

Now, I'm glad I made the decision. With a small bit of research it appears without social club, you're not allowed to access games you've payed for. Unstall the program, the games become unusable, cancel social club and your access is denied. This is total BS imho.

More about it can be read here, I found it very informative.
http://www.cheathappens.com/show_board2.asp?headID=115507&titleID=18799


Either way, I won't stand for this. It's why I never bought the PC version of FF7 on steam either, cause of all the extras you have to jump through to play it.

Also before someone says it, there is a difference between between having to log into a digital distribution service to play games, and having to log in to a non-premium game/service to access a game you've purchased in full...

I really which a game would say "Needs additional log in/services" when you're purchasing it. That way I'd know to steer clear (and yes, I know Bioshock 2, GTA4 and a few others had the same problem, but with Windows Live...)

The time it took you to write this you could've already signed up for the social club and be playing max payne 3.
=(eG)= Martial.Lore Aug 1, 2013 @ 9:29pm 
Originally posted by Marbles:
I kind of like my money back honestly.

I didn't know I had to sign up for yet another account to even get into the game.

I really which a game would say "Needs additional log in/services" when you're purchasing it. That way I'd know to steer clear (and yes, I know Bioshock 2, GTA4 and a few others had the same problem, but with Windows Live...)

You need to read the game requirements properly, mate:

Other Requirements: Initial activation requires internet connection and a valid Rockstar Social Club account (13+ to register); Online play requires log-in to Rockstar Social Club (13+); software installation required including GameShield IronWrap; DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).

No refund for you. You have no right to complain to us about Rockstar. None at all.

Having said that, I still think you should just go ahead and sign up to play the game. You are at greater risk with so much more online, and you can at least rest assured that RockStar has people dedicated to keeping their accounts secure.

You could just accidentally click on a bad webpage and download malware that will steal all your data, so risk exists no matter what you do online. The only secure solution is to pull the plug. I think you are overestimating the comparative risk and missing out of a fantastic gaming experience as a result.

Last edited by =(eG)= Martial.Lore; Aug 2, 2013 @ 10:24pm
DoubleD Aug 2, 2013 @ 5:47am 
Originally posted by SLOWION:
welcome to PC gaming.

Next generation consoles as well.
BloodySinner Aug 2, 2013 @ 10:46am 
Admittedly, I almost deleted the game from my hard drive because of the reasons the OP noted. In fact, it's the same reason I haven't played Tribes, Planetside 2 and other 'F2P' titles. I am just NOT interested in creating another account on top of my Steam one to play games.
Last edited by BloodySinner; Aug 2, 2013 @ 10:46am
BìgFàTJéwBágél Aug 2, 2013 @ 5:35pm 
Heres the thing you also have to understand is that rockstar makes you have 1 account for all there games because they want you to keep track of the statictics of the games you are playing. For example in max payne 3 you have options to join crews and make them yourself and when you join a crew its marked to you're socal club account( you can join multiple crews if you want to) so that way if you get into gta5 all your crews statistics are still there and you can rejoin them in gta5s online. Another thing is that when you play signed into an account its yours forever and it keeps track of so meny stats no you're account. every bullet you ever shot,kills,time spent in bullet time, shootdodge kills. These stats are also recorded for multiplayer. And when you unlock achievements it linked to your account and steam. I feel like its not the force of socal club on the you more of the fact that they want to keep records of all there players. I for one am happy to have an account. Ive been playin since pre order and my stats are up there.
Ayyyy Merty Aug 2, 2013 @ 5:54pm 
It's a good game. Worth the time spent
Husain932 Aug 2, 2013 @ 6:58pm 
You can find that kind of info in the game's system requirements.

I don't know why people are okay with Steam, yet so sensitive to additional DRM and accounts, you bought the game on steam, you logged in, and you bought it from there, there's no way to get your games off steam, there's no way to get rid of them, if i recall correctly Steam gives you 1 refund only, and you're okay with that but you wont bare taking less than 5 minutes to make an account?
I'll never understand that logic.
It hardly interferes with anything, Social Club runs in the background while you play.

Rockstar requires you to create an account to play their games, they didn't hide it, it's in the games store page, are you okay with that? Cool enjoy your game, if not just uninstall it and shut up we're not interested in hearing your whining.

And to be honest, these days there's information about games days even weeks before they come out, it's not like you were tricked and mislead to buy, if you buy a game sight unseen it's your problem and you don't deserve a refund.

And don't give me the rights of the consumer bla bla bla, look at the end of the day, you agreed to their requirements in the license agreement, you don't have the right to complain. You don't agree? You don't use the service, simple as that, you can't have your cake and eat it too.


No offense intended, I'm just sick of seeing these. Moderators should remove these topics, there is no real discussion, subject just doesn't allow it.
This is just another ''discussion'' complaining about DRM, it's just spam at this point, nothing to discuss here.
Floyd Aug 2, 2013 @ 7:00pm 
I'm not gonna lie.
It doesn't bother me, I signed up with L.A. Noire and it hasn't bothered me one bit.
暗悪 Marbles Aug 2, 2013 @ 8:25pm 
Originally posted by Legend932:
You can find that kind of info in the game's system requirements.

I don't know why people are okay with Steam, yet so sensitive to additional DRM and accounts, you bought the game on steam, you logged in, and you bought it from there, there's no way to get your games off steam, there's no way to get rid of them, if i recall correctly Steam gives you 1 refund only, and you're okay with that but you wont bare taking less than 5 minutes to make an account?
I'll never understand that logic.
It hardly interferes with anything, Social Club runs in the background while you play.

Rockstar requires you to create an account to play their games, they didn't hide it, it's in the games store page, are you okay with that? Cool enjoy your game, if not just uninstall it and shut up we're not interested in hearing your whining.

And to be honest, these days there's information about games days even weeks before they come out, it's not like you were tricked and mislead to buy, if you buy a game sight unseen it's your problem and you don't deserve a refund.

And don't give me the rights of the consumer bla bla bla, look at the end of the day, you agreed to their requirements in the license agreement, you don't have the right to complain. You don't agree? You don't use the service, simple as that, you can't have your cake and eat it too.


No offense intended, I'm just sick of seeing these. Moderators should remove these topics, there is no real discussion, subject just doesn't allow it.
This is just another ''discussion'' complaining about DRM, it's just spam at this point, nothing to discuss here.

I do wish to thank you guys for pointing out it was in the requirements all along. I feel stupid for missing that.

It's probably because I am old fasion, or just seen too many security risks over the years. The more places your information is stored, the worse it gets for you. I subscribe to the idea that you don't need to give your real life information out to everyone and thing that asks for it. It's a major security risk in many cases. However that's just my personal oppinion.

Thinks like Planetside don't bother me because it is a universal account for all SoE games, which were subscription based originally (I played EQ, SWG and a few other games in beta and initial release) but.. having an online account merely for stat tracking seems a bit over doing it in my opinion. I don't want to have to keep making new accounts, tied to my email etc etc.

I have to many as it is, Blizzard, Square-Enix, Origin, PSN (Sony), XBL (Microsoft).. mainly bcause I've played games by all of them and all of them are either subscription based or retail services.

Having something you sign up for, just for tracking annoys me. I don't see the point other then control of their product, but when it's bought over steam it should already be activated and tied to your account.

As I pointed out in a previous post, there is a difference between logging into steam, and having a separate log in. Steam is a retail service, it make sense you need to log in to enjoy the games you purchased on it. As for the additional log in, unless it's offering some additional services, such as DLC through a marketplace.. there really doesn't need to be "another" account.

God, I feel like an old woman and I'm only 33 when I argue about stuff like this. As I've said, with my training it just.. doesn't seem sensible to have your information out to everyone and every company like this. Especially with all the leaks and security compromises in current years.
Last edited by 暗悪 Marbles; Aug 2, 2013 @ 8:42pm
MadMind Aug 3, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
Originally posted by Marbles:
It's probably because I am old fasion, or just seen too many security risks over the years. The more places your information is stored, the worse it gets for you. I subscribe to the idea that you don't need to give your real life information out to everyone and thing that asks for it. It's a major security risk in many cases. However that's just my personal oppinion.

Thinks like Planetside don't bother me because it is a universal account for all SoE games, which were subscription based originally (I played EQ, SWG and a few other games in beta and initial release) but.. having an online account merely for stat tracking seems a bit over doing it in my opinion. I don't want to have to keep making new accounts, tied to my email etc etc.

I have to many as it is, Blizzard, Square-Enix, Origin, PSN (Sony), XBL (Microsoft).. mainly bcause I've played games by all of them and all of them are either subscription based or retail services.

Having something you sign up for, just for tracking annoys me. I don't see the point other then control of their product.
What's the security risk in creating a social club account? On the small chance rockstar's database is ever compromised, the most they could get is your email address. I'd be far more concerned about Valve, Blizzard, and SoE who actually have lots of your personal information.

Social Club isn't just a stat tracker for Max Payne either. It's a universal account for all Rockstar games: Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, Midnight Club, Grand Theft Auto V and all future titles. You can create/join crews, design emblems for your crew to wear ingame, play against rival crews in MP3 and GTAV, upload and share GTA videos, leave messages for crews and friends.

If you're not into any of that, you don't have to bother with it. Just register and it will silently log you in whenever you launch Max Payne. You also won't have to register for any future rockstar titles. It's really not a big deal. :P
SLOWION Aug 3, 2013 @ 6:16pm 
I'm new to PC gaming (only had my gaming rig for a few months) and I'd have to say this is one of those annoyances that I NEVER had to deal with on console (except for EA). It's also something that very few people mention when trying to make their case for PC gaming.

I've signed up for so many damn websites and services over the past few months that I've honestly forgotten who they all were.

It would be great if Steam would integrate with these companies so that if I purchase a game through Steam it automatically signs me into whatever 3rd party service is required using my Steam credentials.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 31, 2013 @ 9:58pm
Posts: 18