Zero Apr 24, 2013 @ 7:26pm
Some questions
I'm trying to figure out how exactly game's feudal system works, and have some questions about it.

1. What happens if a character inherits from vassals of different lords? I mean situation like this: Alice is a countess, Alexander is her king, Bob is a count, Benedict is his king. Alice and Bob marry and have a son, Charles. What exactly will Charles inherit and whose vassal will he be? Can Alexander or Benedict lose land this way? Does it matter if the marriage between Alice and Bob is patrilineal/matrilineal, or if one of them has higher rank than the other (e.g. Alice is a duchess), or in which order they die?

2. How does changing capital work with gavelkind succession? I have a duchy with two counties in it. My oldest son inherits the duchy and the capital county, my second son inherits the second county. What will happen if I move capital to the second county? (I think that's what: after succession the capital will be automatically moved back because the new duke doesn't own the second county. If i'm correct, is there a way to reliably (for multiple generations) change capital with gavelkind?)
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Supplican Apr 24, 2013 @ 7:44pm 
Unless the marriage was matrilineal, Bob is the count, Alice is irrelevant and brought no land with her to the marriage, and Charles inherits from Bob. Benedict is Bob's leige lord and effectively Alice's too. Not sure how Alexander or Benedict would lose any of their own land in this scenario.
alexraoul Apr 24, 2013 @ 7:51pm 
The OP said Alice was a countess so how is she irrelevant?
Zero; If Alice dies first than Charles inherits her land as a vassal of Alexander. When Bob dies Charles takes his land as well but remains a vassal of Alexander. So Benidict just lost a county. If bob had a higher tier title then when his son inherited it he would switch lieges and become benidicts vassal and Alexander would lose a vassal county.
alexraoul Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:00pm 
If you move the capital then the inheritance will probably switch. Your oldest will inherit the Duchy and the new capital and you youngest will inherit the original county
Zero Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:55pm 
Originally posted by alexraoul:
If you move the capital then the inheritance will probably switch. Your oldest will inherit the Duchy and the new capital and you youngest will inherit the original county
I also thought it would, but I checked and it doesn't. Or, at least, the displayed in tooltip line of succession doesn't. Maybe when actual succession happens the game will realise that the capital has been moved and give new capital to the oldest son, but I'm not sure about it.

Originally posted by alexraoul:
If Alice dies first than Charles inherits her land as a vassal of Alexander. When Bob dies Charles takes his land as well but remains a vassal of Alexander. So Benidict just lost a county. If bob had a higher tier title then when his son inherited it he would switch lieges and become benidicts vassal and Alexander would lose a vassal county.
This seems logical and I thought the same. I just don't like that it implies that lieges will randomly (based on who dies first) gain or lose land if Alice and Bob are equal in rank. It's just... strange.
Zero Apr 24, 2013 @ 9:18pm 
Originally posted by supplican:
Unless the marriage was matrilineal, Bob is the count, Alice is irrelevant and brought no land with her to the marriage, and Charles inherits from Bob. Benedict is Bob's leige lord and effectively Alice's too. Not sure how Alexander or Benedict would lose any of their own land in this scenario.
I also think you've missed the part about Alice being a countess, but if you're sure you're correct, two more questions:
1. Who inherits her county, then?
2. And what if she was a duchess?
jessebigfoot Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:24am 
The OP clearly states that Alice was a countess in her own right, since she wouldn't have a different liege than Bob if she wasn't.
Robban574 Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:48am 
1. Charles will inherit the parent who dies first and become a vassal of its king. then depending on crown laws in the other kingdom ( like high crown law ) he cant inherit the other parent.

2. When you change capital your oldest son will allways inherit it.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 24, 2013 @ 7:26pm
Posts: 7