Such Doge Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:33pm
Mongol Invasion!!!
how the heck do you survive the mongol invasion?i was king of jerusalem with 5000 retiunes,20000 mercenarys, and lots of levy. i even had the byzantines help me. my strategy was lure and bait but when i saw hhow bbig there army was, about 60000k and they had horsce archers every were.this had happened before when i just conquered syria they invaded. *sigh* im now chief of mecca, a saxon in a middle eastern world,my houscehold is scattered becuase of the mongols
Last edited by Such Doge; Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:35pm
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Cosmik Debris Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:51pm 
Welcome to the 13th century. Enjoy your stay.
Claes Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:46pm 
^^ I feel sorry for OP but I have to admit that gets an lol ^^

We have the same message in another game I play. When it gets tough we remind each other, 'Welcome to ********'
prince_of_arfon Apr 2, 2013 @ 12:22am 
I'm not sure if they can be defeated, although I hope so, since the actual Mongols didn't get further than Hungary and Poland, roughly. Granted, that was mostly because the Khan died and infighting eventually brought the Mongols down. They were better conquerors than rulers. I tried to assassinate the Mongol leader once, but couldn't get enough of his subjects to join my plot. And I generally avoid the "350 gold to Assassinate" function, as it tends to fail and suck up tons of money with multiple attempts. So basically I don't know how you can stop their advance, but I hope there is a way. Maybe they should make it easier to assassinate the Mongol khan?
Such Doge Apr 2, 2013 @ 1:12am 
Originally posted by prince_of_arfon:
I'm not sure if they can be defeated, although I hope so, since the actual Mongols didn't get further than Hungary and Poland, roughly. Granted, that was mostly because the Khan died and infighting eventually brought the Mongols down. They were better conquerors than rulers. I tried to assassinate the Mongol leader once, but couldn't get enough of his subjects to join my plot. And I generally avoid the "350 gold to Assassinate" function, as it tends to fail and suck up tons of money with multiple attempts. So basically I don't know how you can stop their advance, but I hope there is a way. Maybe they should make it easier to assassinate the Mongol khan?
":[ i still have a save game of the great invasion,i kept them off for about 8 years until i emptied my coffers with mercenerys, now im trying to absorb all of my family members
[GA]NuclearShadow Apr 2, 2013 @ 1:54am 
I've had a game where I was playing as one of Spain's nations and I've watched them conquer the entire middle Europe ending the HRE and even go as far as conquering England and even Iceland. What normally ends them is internal revolts and then being able to strike back at them but do to the game's randomness this oppertunity may not come soon enough even more so if your a Eastern nation.
GoudaGobbler Apr 2, 2013 @ 7:54am 
60 000 only ? You're lucky. They declared some war to me and sent 120 000 crazy warriors.
I just surrender, as it was totally useless to fight. Now they are my (very dangerous) neighbours.

You can imagine how i was happy when I saw one of my vassals usurp some duc title from them... And then they took advandage of a stupid indepandence war to declare war to this vassal and stole the lands.

Anyway, I don't know how to defeat them. I guess they are not really supposed to be defeated in fact.
I wonder how it's possible to manage them if you actually play some russian or eastern europe countries. You just have to lose when they arrive ? Weird.
Talonmaster Apr 2, 2013 @ 1:11pm 
Don't assassinate mongol rulers. Last I heard every new leader brings a doom stack with him. There is no real way to beat them if you are a small nation. It can be done if you are a large empire though, even if its not easy at all.
Kogak Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:38pm 
They tend to split their armies into stacks of around 20,000 to 30,000. The trick is to treat them like crusaders when fighting them. There is a little known weakness to crusaders and mongols: they have difficulty fighting against 5 : 1 odds in your favor. Seriously though? They suffer no attrition, easily defeat armies twice their size and decdlare wars for entire kingdoms when they first arrive.

I was Emperor of Scandinavia and controlled Russia when the Golden Horde arrived and wanted to claim all of Cumania (which provides me with 100,000 troops routinely). I lost all of my retinue (~60,000) and most of my vassal's armies putting those blighters down, and that was largely because they just gave up (reconquered all my provinces while their 40,000 army chased after my 15,000).

The Ilkhanate never got beyond Persia, and the Aztecx only control western Africa (I am not impressed by them so far...), and the Golden Horde is now just east of Egypt (I don't know how they got there). I am waiting for the late Horde, and hoping they hit the now heretical Orthodox Ilkhanate instead of me.

If you are not capable of throwing those numbers at them, you need to bend the knee and hope for the best. Remember: there's a line about pride and downfalls.
prince_of_arfon Apr 2, 2013 @ 7:51pm 
I really wish I hadn't accidentally overwritten my saved game as the Empire of Hispania. I had all of Spain, most of North Africa, France, and was preparing to strike either for England or the HRE. Perhaps, if I'd managed to unite western Europe (and keep down the expected rebellions, as I'd been able to do without too much trouble by that point), I could have mounted a defence against the Mongols. Now I'll never know, unless later I am able to replicate that game in the future.

The Mongols just arrived in my Denmark game and swiftly grabbed half of Russia. I do own all of Scandinavia except for Finland, but I'm under no false impressions: if the khan comes for me, I'm going down!
Such Doge Apr 2, 2013 @ 9:50pm 
EVERYBODY I WAS BLOODY JERUSALEM, IEXPANDED ALL THE BLOODY WAY TO MECCA
prince_of_arfon Apr 2, 2013 @ 10:47pm 
Quite an achievement! I haven't yet been the one to gain Jerusalem from a successful crusade, although I have sieged it.
alexraoul Apr 2, 2013 @ 10:58pm 
In reply to "EVERYBODY I WAS BLOODY JERUSALEM, IEXPANDED ALL THE BLOODY WAY TO MECCA"

You should have expanded more than. Look. No one is going to give you a helpfull answer to your current situation. Either you are strong enough to resist the hordes while suffering massive attrition penalties or you aren't.
The best way to try to do some damage against large stacks is to lure them close to the coast where you entire army is waiting offshore where there is no attrittion until you strike. The horde army doesn't replenish so you can hope it get whittled down during the mongols many invasions but sometimes its just too late to save yourself. You have to remember that a game with a later start date will give you less time to form those uber empires before the mongols show up and become a threat.
If I were playing a Jerusalem campaign I would stick to conquering along the coast lines rather than deep inland. Let the heathens deal with the inevitable invasion first while you are left with a defendable empire where you can move troops quickly over water to any points of invasion, mongol or otherwise.
Last edited by alexraoul; Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:06pm
prince_of_arfon Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:02pm 
Good advice, alexraoul.
Such Doge Apr 3, 2013 @ 12:40am 
Originally posted by prince_of_arfon:
Quite an achievement! I haven't yet been the one to gain Jerusalem from a successful crusade, although I have sieged it.
in the start iwas some french count in normandy, i got the chance to join the crusader so yeah, it was still pretty hard
Such Doge Apr 3, 2013 @ 12:42am 
Originally posted by alexraoul:
In reply to "EVERYBODY I WAS BLOODY JERUSALEM, IEXPANDED ALL THE BLOODY WAY TO MECCA"

You should have expanded more than. Look. No one is going to give you a helpfull answer to your current situation. Either you are strong enough to resist the hordes while suffering massive attrition penalties or you aren't.
The best way to try to do some damage against large stacks is to lure them close to the coast where you entire army is waiting offshore where there is no attrittion until you strike. The horde army doesn't replenish so you can hope it get whittled down during the mongols many invasions but sometimes its just too late to save yourself. You have to remember that a game with a later start date will give you less time to form those uber empires before the mongols show up and become a threat.
If I were playing a Jerusalem campaign I would stick to conquering along the coast lines rather than deep inland. Let the heathens deal with the inevitable invasion first while you are left with a defendable empire where you can move troops quickly over water to any points of invasion, mongol or otherwise.
by the time i got mecca the mongols were my door step,i got time to expand to the eastern part of arabia but when i started the war,the mongols invaded,so i was preety stretched out
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:33pm
Posts: 16