Posted: January 23
It was almost 14 years ago when I first played Tomb Raider 1... I just realised, while typing this review, that that moment was a little more than 14 years ago :)
Since then I played and finished all the Tomb Raider games (multiple time), so you can say I'm an expert and a big fan of the franchise.
This remake of Tomb Raider is excellent, and this is why:
- Gameplay: easy to learn and master (if you played the older TR games, you are as happy as I am with this)
- Graphics & maps: even on low graphics it looks stunning, but on max graphics/tressFX you'll be blown away. The maps are gorgeous and have lots of detail, beautiful lightning effects etc. (and sometimes the well-know invisible walls ;)
- Story: it's an engaging story, I didn't want to stop playing. Sometimes a little predictable, but I didn't mind
- Music & Voice acting: The music and voice acting is great! As a musician/singer I think those elements are also very important in a game.
- RPG elements: Lara will evolve during the game, you can spend skill points on her, it's a nice change, but it could have been done better. In the end there's only one way to 'build' your Lara character. It's also nice you can upgrade your weapons, but that's also very linear, you can't make your own choices.
- Secrets/lootable items: I'm a big fan of lootable items in games and acompletionist. I loved searching for all those GPS's caches, relics, documents etc.
- Multiplayer: It's fun to be able to play as any character in the game, each will say their own line when you start a match or kill someone. Unlocking Lara is tough, you need to get to lvl 60 and it will take a lot of time. Especially with bow-snipers who will one-shot you :) But before you get there you will unlock lots of guns/pistols/bows and will be able to create your own playstyle.
I can recommend buying the DLC maps and DLC Hitman-guns.
I can't wait until the new Tomb Raider game comes out, I can't imagine it won't be available for PC. We'll see...