Ridge Racer™ Unbounded

Ridge Racer™ Unbounded

View Stats:
Dekion Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:30am
How does this compare to Ridge Racer Type 4 on the PS1
That game is brilliant, also the soundtrack is sublime

imjussayin
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
that's what she said Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:51am 
completely different game. Glamorous as BF3... and there is Skrillex in OST... You've got an idea.
Hit_Pepns Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:03pm 
Unbounded can´t be even called Ridge Racer, it was just for the name-money. R4 is the best even for today. Unbounded don´t have any aspect the R4 had. There is a DLC RT Solvalou car seen in the intro of R4 for the Unbounded and guess what. They made it slowest car of all and generally useless in the game, for extra money. Unbounded isn´t bad, but it´s just not Ridge Racer.
Lenneth Apr 19, 2013 @ 5:32pm 
RR4 is the best ridge racer ever made, with an unique feel and personality. Unbounded is a fast paced arcade racer from the creators of the flatout series, and flatout is like a cheap burnout. I personally like RRU, but don't expect NOTHING like RR4.
Revan Ex Apr 19, 2013 @ 7:40pm 
OMG remember Ridge Racer Type 4...... the music..... the chellenge... the sponsers u talked to and shared there lives with you after races you have won.... and the final race..... when you have won that last race...... ONE MORE WIN RIDGE RACER!!!!!! no.. no my friend this is no Ridge Racer....
Dekion Apr 20, 2013 @ 5:42am 
that's a pass then, thanks yall
Cyro Jun 20, 2013 @ 4:03pm 
Agreed with the other posters here, this is really more like a permutation of the Burnout series, not a proper Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer for the PSP or PS3 is a better modern take on the franchise. Ridge Racer Unbound on the other hand feels more like a re-branding of somthing else. As goofy as R5 was even it works better as a 'Ridge Racer' game.
Hit_Pepns Jun 21, 2013 @ 8:14am 
Originally posted by Cyro:
Agreed with the other posters here, this is really more like a permutation of the Burnout series, not a proper Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer for the PSP or PS3 is a better modern take on the franchise. Ridge Racer Unbound on the other hand feels more like a re-branding of somthing else. As goofy as R5 was even it works better as a 'Ridge Racer' game.

RR V / 5 is outstanding! Volumed down the annoying announcer voice during races and it has the most speed-machine-feeling.
Sparks behind the cars everywhere, like in the old Formula 1 times, engine sounds are brilliant !! (unlike those bee-like engines from PSP or PS3 RR´s), handling is slick from the old RR times.

When I play the newest RR (for PS Vita), all the cars handles somehow the same. There are tiny minor differences here and there, but usually doesn´t matter in terms of handling, which machine you pick. That cannot happen in Ridge Racer V / 5.
Last edited by Hit_Pepns; Jun 21, 2013 @ 8:15am
Cyro Aug 24, 2013 @ 7:10pm 
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the tip!
Plaid Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:09am 
Ah, there are plenty of differences in handling between cars in Unbounded.

You have Rear Wheel, Front Wheel, Four Wheel, separate classes of cars, and all their individual handling/drifting/strength/speed/acceleration attributes.
And it's quite obvious, when you are actually playing the game, the differences between cars.
I'm not sure a person claiming they all handle the same has actually played the game for more than 10 minutes.

Granted, this game does NOT play like the old RR's but that's not necessarily a bad thing... unless you were looking for an old school RR.

(and yes, the soundtrack is kind of lame)
Last edited by Plaid; Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:11am
Hit_Pepns Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:50pm 
Originally posted by Plaid:
Ah, there are plenty of differences in handling between cars in Unbounded.

You have Rear Wheel, Front Wheel, Four Wheel, separate classes of cars, and all their individual handling/drifting/strength/speed/acceleration attributes.
And it's quite obvious, when you are actually playing the game, the differences between cars.
I'm not sure a person claiming they all handle the same has actually played the game for more than 10 minutes.

Granted, this game does NOT play like the old RR's but that's not necessarily a bad thing... unless you were looking for an old school RR.

(and yes, the soundtrack is kind of lame)

You were talking to me?
I´m not sure you read my post correctly, claiming such a nonsense. Read it again please. In terms of handling I was talking about Ridge Racer VITA (for PS Vita), not unbounded.
Кумган Вскипел Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:02pm 
rage racer was the best one
S.L.R.F. Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:10am 
Ridge Racer Type 4 is hard, but it's easily the best around. Unbounded is not Ridge Racer. This is more of a spinoff than a main part of the series. Like hell they name this Ridge Racer 8.
Cyro Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:08am 
Originally posted by Bonton_Saibot:
Originally posted by Cyro:
Agreed with the other posters here, this is really more like a permutation of the Burnout series, not a proper Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer for the PSP or PS3 is a better modern take on the franchise. Ridge Racer Unbound on the other hand feels more like a re-branding of somthing else. As goofy as R5 was even it works better as a 'Ridge Racer' game.

RR V / 5 is outstanding! Volumed down the annoying announcer voice during races and it has the most speed-machine-feeling.
Sparks behind the cars everywhere, like in the old Formula 1 times, engine sounds are brilliant !! (unlike those bee-like engines from PSP or PS3 RR´s), handling is slick from the old RR times.

When I play the newest RR (for PS Vita), all the cars handles somehow the same. There are tiny minor differences here and there, but usually doesn´t matter in terms of handling, which machine you pick. That cannot happen in Ridge Racer V / 5.

I goofed. I meant R:Racing Evolution (which I have a love/hate relationship with) rather than 5. And you're right, 5 is awesome. It's sitting right here on my shelf. Also the PSP/VIta Ridge Racers are true to the series and fantastic games.

Unbounded on the other hand... I have a few games out of the Burnout series. When I'm in the mood to play Burnout I'll play burnout. I won't be playing Unbounded though. I gave the demo a shot and I hated nearly everything about it - particularly the horrible handling and the games' insistence that I smash into everything. I'd rather focus on elegant drifting and riding the line.
Hit_Pepns Sep 27, 2013 @ 10:37am 
Originally posted by Cyro:
Originally posted by Bonton_Saibot:

RR V / 5 is outstanding! Volumed down the annoying announcer voice during races and it has the most speed-machine-feeling.
Sparks behind the cars everywhere, like in the old Formula 1 times, engine sounds are brilliant !! (unlike those bee-like engines from PSP or PS3 RR´s), handling is slick from the old RR times.

When I play the newest RR (for PS Vita), all the cars handles somehow the same. There are tiny minor differences here and there, but usually doesn´t matter in terms of handling, which machine you pick. That cannot happen in Ridge Racer V / 5.

I goofed. I meant R:Racing Evolution (which I have a love/hate relationship with) rather than 5. And you're right, 5 is awesome. It's sitting right here on my shelf. Also the PSP/VIta Ridge Racers are true to the series and fantastic games.

Unbounded on the other hand... I have a few games out of the Burnout series. When I'm in the mood to play Burnout I'll play burnout. I won't be playing Unbounded though. I gave the demo a shot and I hated nearly everything about it - particularly the horrible handling and the games' insistence that I smash into everything. I'd rather focus on elegant drifting and riding the line.

Agreed. And I got R:Racing Evolution too right here in this room. Kinda like it / hate it just like you. I expected more from the "story". But graphics, cars and gameplay are brilliant. Burnout is Burnout, Unbounded was a misstep. And now RR: Driftopia (or something like that) is coming :-/ ... When this rubbish ends, I´d like to ask Namco.
Cyro Oct 2, 2013 @ 7:45am 
Originally posted by Bonton_Saibot:
Agreed. And I got R:Racing Evolution too right here in this room. Kinda like it / hate it just like you. I expected more from the "story". But graphics, cars and gameplay are brilliant. Burnout is Burnout, Unbounded was a misstep. And now RR: Driftopia (or something like that) is coming :-/ ... When this rubbish ends, I´d like to ask Namco.

Yes! I would have loved it to death if R:Racing Evolution got a sequel that had more in-depth RPG elements to it, like decisions with impact, multiple endings, clothing customization etc.

I won't be playing any future 'Ridge Racer' titles though unless Namco actually gets back to making them and we have proper non-Burnout/FlatOut racing gameplay.

I'm totally OK with drift/drafting filling nitris meters though, that makes for a nice meta game.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 15 30 50