Cave Story+

Cave Story+

View Stats:
Cave Story+ > General Discussions > Topic Details
jysaw Aug 28 @ 11:27pm
A simple question about 100 percenting this game
My friend and I are meeting up on his birthday to hang out and do friend things. One of the things we want to do is race a 100% no booster run of the Switch version of this game. I've come up with 5 requirements for 100 percenting this game and they are as follows:

1. Get the true ending. Pretty obvious if you want to 100% this game.

2. Complete all sidequests. Things like get the Little Man back to his house. Just do everything essentially.

3. Get every possible item. So useless things like the Alien Medal and the Lipstick have to be collected.

4. Obtain all Life Capsules. Pretty much an extension of #3. Get all the stuff.

5. Get every possible weapon for the weapon path of your choice. This is the point I have a question about.

It's not possible to get every weapon at once. If you take the machine gun you can't get the spur or the snake. The two required weapons are the bubbler and the missile launcher with the super missiles. You can't trade these away so to 100% the game you have to both of these. My question is: should the nemesis be required? If I were to go for the Spur my endgame loadout would be: spur, fireball, bubbler, missile launcher, and the blade. That's every weapon possible. Except it's not. You can trade the blade for the nemesis. So should we make the nemesis optional or should we make it mandatory to get it? If you don't technically you are missing a weapon you can obtain and that's not 100%. I usually never grab it because of my attachment to the blade and also Curly gets it in the Bloodstained Sanctuary if you dont have it. You can't avoid getting the blade since it's a story related weapon. Regardless of what weapon you take you'll still have the blade at the end of the game. So should we count getting the blade 100% or make it mandatory to get the Nemesis? I don't really know so I'll leave it up to anyone who has input on this to decide.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
jysaw Aug 28 @ 11:29pm 
I should also add that you can trade the nemesis back for the blade so there's almost no point in getting it if you don't want it. Should we do something like get it and then take the blade back if we want it? Just so we can say that we got it and had every weapon possible or just not bother?
How do you do a 100% no booster run if the booster is required to complete the game?

I'd say, don't make getting certain weapons mandatory, only the little man quest and what's needed for the true ending. Just finish the game using whatever weapons you think you need. i.e. If you think you can save time and finish the game without using the Spur then do it.
Last edited by (Edgy) Asriel Dreemurr; Aug 28 @ 11:47pm
I say, either way, it counts. Unless you cheat, you CAN'T get every weapon in the game, which means it's fair game.
jysaw Aug 28 @ 11:48pm 
If you're wondering how you do a no booster mode it's pretty simple: just dont equip it. You can't skip the booster. You get either the v0.8 or the v2.0 through story. And you can finish the final cave and Bloodstained Sanctuary without a booster if you keep your mimiga mask and don't get the booster back from Momorin.
Originally posted by jysaw:
If you're wondering how you do a no booster mode it's pretty simple: just dont equip it. You can't skip the booster. You get either the v0.8 or the v2.0 through story. And you can finish the final cave and Bloodstained Sanctuary without a booster if you keep your mimiga mask and don't get the booster back from Momorin.
You can't do the Sanctuary without the upgraded booster.

1. If I recall correctly the game doesn't let you enter the prefab house without it.
2. You'd die on the death spikes at the start without it.
jysaw Aug 28 @ 11:54pm 
Also since we're going for 100% getting all the available weapons is a must. If you skip the machine gun and get the snake, you can skip the spur. If you skip both and still have your polar star you have to get the spur since without it you don't have everything. Since the polar star is needed to get the snake and the spur you can save time by trading it for the machine gun which allows you to skip getting the spur. If you do get the spur you have to backtrack and get the whimsical star. It's only available if you have the spur so getting the spur and skipping the star is missing an item. The machine gun and snake allow you to skip this. This is what I meant by weapon paths. Technically since you can't get the whimsical star without the spur not having the spur means you can skip it. It's still a 100% run though because that item just isn't available to you. We've both beaten this game countless times so saving time through stuff like this might be somehting to think about.
Originally posted by jysaw:
Also since we're going for 100% getting all the available weapons is a must. If you skip the machine gun and get the snake, you can skip the spur. If you skip both and still have your polar star you have to get the spur since without it you don't have everything. Since the polar star is needed to get the snake and the spur you can save time by trading it for the machine gun which allows you to skip getting the spur. If you do get the spur you have to backtrack and get the whimsical star. It's only available if you have the spur so getting the spur and skipping the star is missing an item. The machine gun and snake allow you to skip this. This is what I meant by weapon paths. Technically since you can't get the whimsical star without the spur not having the spur means you can skip it. It's still a 100% run though because that item just isn't available to you. We've both beaten this game countless times so saving time through stuff like this might be somehting to think about.
This is why this game is better suited for true ending any% runs.
jysaw Aug 29 @ 12:01am 
I meant that you can finish the final cave with the mask. You are correct about not being able to access the Bloodstained Sanctuary.
My thought process is that in this game anytime you spend extra time to get certain items, the end result is that it makes beating the game easier.

From a challenge stand point, it's much more interesting and rewarding to try and cut out as much of those extras as possible. By not going after those you save time, but also give yourself more of a challenge, it's a balancing act.
Originally posted by jysaw:
I meant that you can finish the final cave with the mask. You are correct about not being able to access the Bloodstained Sanctuary.
Actually you also get a different version of Last Cave depending on whether you have the upgraded booster or not.
jysaw Aug 29 @ 12:09am 
We might race a minimalist run too afterwards. That sounds kinda fun tbh. Also yeah I know about the final cave and hidden final cave.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Cave Story+ > General Discussions > Topic Details