[Symmetry] Feb 8, 2014 @ 1:42pm
Changing the area of a weather particle system.
Hey guys, I need a little help. I want a pretty big snowstorm on cp_coldfront for a long shot.
I got the right effect, which I found here, in discussions it's called openfridge.
Anyway, when I create an animation set for it, works only like in a 5x5x5 metre square.
But I want to apply it for the whole map, like in-game or like in the MvM launch video.

I'm really looking forward to your help, and I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
R234 Feb 8, 2014 @ 3:43pm 
There's a snowstorm particle system already in SFM, env_snow_stormfront_001 in stormfront.pcf. There's also a light snowfall particle in water.pcf called env_snow_light_001.

If you really want to edit the one you have, well... without access to it I can't know how it works and what values to change. That's usually either "position within sphere random" or "position within box random", both are initializers. I've seen another initializer, "position modify offset random" being used for that as well. Though you might also want to change the particle count and spawn rate, since they might look too sparse if you increase the spawnzone size. And then there's the min visible distance for individual particles, min screen space, their size and trail length, their fade and decay values as well as their lifetime and speed needing tweaking...

So, yeah, I think you better use one that's actually meant for that, like the ones I mentioned.
[Symmetry] Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:20pm 
Originally posted by R234:
There's a snowstorm particle system already in SFM, env_snow_stormfront_001 in stormfront.pcf. There's also a light snowfall particle in water.pcf called env_snow_light_001.

If you really want to edit the one you have, well... without access to it I can't know how it works and what values to change. That's usually either "position within sphere random" or "position within box random", both are initializers. I've seen another initializer, "position modify offset random" being used for that as well. Though you might also want to change the particle count and spawn rate, since they might look too sparse if you increase the spawnzone size. And then there's the min visible distance for individual particles, min screen space, their size and trail length, their fade and decay values as well as their lifetime and speed needing tweaking...

So, yeah, I think you better use one that's actually meant for that, like the ones I mentioned.
Thank you for your quick answer. Well, then I'll change stormfront.pcf. To look like real, I locked the scene camera's root transform to the particle effect's root and position 0 then I applied the zero preset. It looks pretty good, but in the background nothing happens. So could you tell me please how can I improve it?
R234 Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:24pm 
You could place another instance of the stormfront partice system in the background, that should look fine if you try to get them to not overlap too much.
[Symmetry] Feb 8, 2014 @ 11:37pm 
Originally posted by R234:
You could place another instance of the stormfront partice system in the background, that should look fine if you try to get them to not overlap too much.
I just created an animation set for the stormfront.pcf, and placed it's root where I thought it would look fine, but nothing happened. Did I do something wrong?
R234 Feb 9, 2014 @ 12:09am 
Did you move the playhead off of the active shot and back?
[Symmetry] Feb 9, 2014 @ 12:25am 
Originally posted by R234:
Did you move the playhead off of the active shot and back?
Yes, but I see no difference. Nevermind, I don't want to bother you, I try to figure it out myself. Thanks again!
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 8, 2014 @ 1:42pm
Posts: 6