420exes Jan 25 @ 10:22pm
Does anyone know what vrad is? (or how to use it?)
I'm trying to get HDR on a certain map (cp_orange_x3_nsr.bsp) for SFM, but I can't get the .vmf/.vmm for SDK. vrad seems to be the only other option...

I don't know if this is a proper topic for sfm, but if there's any help here at all for me, I would be really grateful :P
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Pte Jack Jan 26 @ 12:09am 
I tried VRad, didn't work for me either, I'm not having any luck with HDR...

Have you used BSPSource I think that will break out the vmf?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/HDR_Lighting_Basics
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Advanced_HDR
and
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Decompiling_Maps
Last edited by Pte Jack; Jan 26 @ 12:17am
raptornx01 Jan 26 @ 12:20am 
I know there is another program out there that can supposedly make maps for source and is better then hammer, but I cannot find where i saw the reference to it to get the name.
6000 ANGRY BEES Jan 26 @ 12:39am 
VRAD is one third of the map compiling process, after VBSP and VVIS.

If you don't have a .VMF of the map and can't get one, use BSPSource[ata4.info].Just be warned: Decompiling isn't perfect, and the newer the game you're trying to decompile a map from, the more issues you may need to fix.
420exes Jan 26 @ 6:12pm 
VRAD is one third of the map compiling process, after VBSP and VVIS.

If you don't have a .VMF of the map and can't get one, use BSPSource.Just be warned: Decompiling isn't perfect, and the newer the game you're trying to decompile a map from, the more issues you may need to fix.

Originally posted by Pte Jack:
I tried VRad, didn't work for me either, I'm not having any luck with HDR...

Have you used BSPSource I think that will break out the vmf?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/HDR_Lighting_Basics
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Advanced_HDR
and
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Decompiling_Maps

Do I have to open in it with Java binary?
Pte Jack Jan 26 @ 8:09pm 
The VRad.exe file is located in the SDK version of the particular game you're trying to create the map for... (for SFM it's in the SourceFilmmaker\game\bin folder.)

It's a command line program and is run using a (DOS) command prompt (I usually run Command Prompt (Admin) that way the command line has admin priveleges).

If you run vrad without the required parameters, you'll get the help context.

Valve Radiosity Simulator
Command line: "vrad"

usage : vrad [options...] bspfile
example: vrad c:\hl2\hl2\maps\test

Common options:

-v (or -verbose): Turn on verbose output (also shows more command
-bounce # : Set max number of bounces (default: 100).
And a lot more

If you want to learn more on VRad, go here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vrad
420exes Jan 27 @ 7:46am 
Originally posted by Pte Jack:
The VRad.exe file is located in the SDK version of the particular game you're trying to create the map for... (for SFM it's in the SourceFilmmaker\game\bin folder.)

It's a command line program and is run using a (DOS) command prompt (I usually run Command Prompt (Admin) that way the command line has admin priveleges).

If you run vrad without the required parameters, you'll get the help context.

Valve Radiosity Simulator
Command line: "vrad"

usage : vrad [options...] bspfile
example: vrad c:\hl2\hl2\maps\test

Common options:

-v (or -verbose): Turn on verbose output (also shows more command
-bounce # : Set max number of bounces (default: 100).
And a lot more

If you want to learn more on VRad, go here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vrad

So, as far as using it on a map file whose file path is in here:SourceFilmmaker\game\usermod\maps, would the command be

vrad -hdr -StaticPropLighting C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\usermod\maps ?

(I've already been on that vrad page, and I've never used CMD enough to understand some of the methods. The only thing that really confuses me is whether that example really needs the sdk version specific to the game, and whether I can apply my map to that line...
Pte Jack Jan 27 @ 11:13am 
Sorry Ferexes, I'm not a mapper. Like I said earlier, I haven't had ANY luck converting maps. I've tried adding HDR via running the map in Hammer, I've BSPSource'd maps and loading the vmf and tried to rebuild the map with HDR, and I've tried running command line VRad on a map to add it. But not knowing what I'm doing there, well I haven't had any success.
Master_Zo Jan 30 @ 4:29am 
Originally posted by Ferexes:
(I've already been on that vrad page, and I've never used CMD enough to understand some of the methods. The only thing that really confuses me is whether that example really needs the sdk version specific to the game, and whether I can apply my map to that line...

You would typically use the same one that the map was originally compiled with. So in this case Tf2.

The full command could be:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" -hdr -StaticPropLighting cp_orange_x3_nsr.bsp"

The above command assumes you are in the directory that has your map "cp_orange_x3_nsr" in it.
You can get there by either doing "cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\usermod\maps\" in CMD or by Shift+right-click in the folder ->"Open Command Window here"

I tested it, and the result was this.[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]
Last edited by Master_Zo; Jan 30 @ 4:29am
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 25 @ 10:22pm
Posts: 8