pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 1:33pm
How do you port models from 3DS MAX to SFM?
Is there a tutorial or something? Looked around and can't find one...
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
ConfederateJoe Aug 1, 2014 @ 1:36pm 
You've pretty much got to port the models into blender, then with an easy to install blender addon, you export to .dmx, then with a couple other programs you put the materials and models of whatever it is you're trying to port into a format SFM can use, then you put the files in your usermod folder somewhere.

Sounds hard I know, but it's not, it's just stupid long. Do it once or twice successfully and you'll get the process down.

There are a couple good youtube tutorials on this.
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 1:43pm 
Originally posted by ConfederateJoe:
You've pretty much got to port the models into blender, then with an easy to install blender addon, you export to .dmx, then with a couple other programs you put the materials and models of whatever it is you're trying to port into a format SFM can use, then you put the files in your usermod folder somewhere.

Sounds hard I know, but it's not, it's just stupid long. Do it once or twice successfully and you'll get the process down.

There are a couple good youtube tutorials on this.

Ok, can you please link one, I checked and couldn't find one
ConfederateJoe Aug 1, 2014 @ 1:50pm 
.dmx exporter for blender
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blender_Source_Tools
One of the tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwbs-7Pp2Ps

OR, use this guide.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154425604

You'll probably have to transfer your 3ds files to blender, which should be super easy. You'll likely have to do this since the documentation for 3ds to SFM is not nearly as good as blenders.

Go through the guide some day, get the process down and you're set!
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 2:42pm 
Originally posted by ConfederateJoe:
.dmx exporter for blender
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blender_Source_Tools
One of the tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwbs-7Pp2Ps

OR, use this guide.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154425604

You'll probably have to transfer your 3ds files to blender, which should be super easy. You'll likely have to do this since the documentation for 3ds to SFM is not nearly as good as blenders.

Go through the guide some day, get the process down and you're set!

Oh I saw the first one, thanks. Will give these a try! Guess I gotta download Blender now
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:26pm 
Blender isn't loading the textures now :/
ConfederateJoe Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:51pm 
when exporting from 3ds, you might try other formats, as certain formats may contain the texture data.
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:10pm 
Originally posted by ConfederateJoe:
when exporting from 3ds, you might try other formats, as certain formats may contain the texture data.

I export as .obj I thought that was the best to use
ConfederateJoe Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:37pm 
.obj is the standard for geometry (models), but that's just about it.

In blender, go to file, import, .3ds, and find the saved .3ds max file with the stuff you want.
Last edited by ConfederateJoe; Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:38pm
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:47pm 
Originally posted by ConfederateJoe:
.obj is the standard for geometry (models), but that's just about it.

In blender, go to file, import, .3ds, and find the saved .3ds max file with the stuff you want.

I found out the materials are in there, they just appear grey. Gotta fix that
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 6:24pm 
OH I GOT IT THANKS! :D
R234 Aug 1, 2014 @ 6:29pm 
Can't you export SMDs directly from Max? http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/3dsmax.php
Last edited by R234; Aug 1, 2014 @ 6:29pm
pokemanaphy Aug 1, 2014 @ 6:51pm 
Originally posted by R234:
Can't you export SMDs directly from Max? http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/3dsmax.php

Thought you could, couldn't find it. Also using MAX 2015
tetTris Aug 1, 2014 @ 9:16pm 
im tring to get maya models into 3dsMAX to export into .smd, my original tactic was to export into .fbx then import it but some models don't work for some reason (they cause 3dsMAX to crash) anyone know about any .ma imports, 3dsMAX exports or .smd exports (for maya (thats not MESA, the instal guide is outdated))?
Ryuzaki Oct 8, 2014 @ 7:10am 
It will be late reply but you can use WallWorm's Model Tools for convert models into Source Engine. Just check it in google.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 1, 2014 @ 1:33pm
Posts: 14