Copying this over from http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3031680:
Details of latest build:
- Lots of research on Procedural Content Generation (PCG). For the tech bits, read on at http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/174311/procedural_content_generation_.php.
- We re-wrote the game from the ground up in Unity. Here was the first prototype in February: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DtSgQfFqFo&list=UUq9oPCxcXnzTVl1s4c6iGkA&index=19.
It's now all in Unity + Python, making it moddable and wonderful.
- There's a new music analysis engine called BeatBox, which Andy Eiche created. We're just beginning to make use of this, but check out beat detection here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNKsVuuY8uM&list=UUq9oPCxcXnzTVl1s4c6iGkA&index=9.
If you're big on math, check out the paper we based this on, here at http://ismir2003.ismir.net/papers/Liu.PDF.
- The guys from fellow Boston indie Zapdot (Michael and Dave) are working with us on that. Michael's on Unity, and Dave and I are on the PCG side of things. In the past year and a half, we've tested dozens of mechanics. Here's one of them (collect signal to increase score and make the level awesomer).
- What you're seeing is the very first Unity build we're releasing to the wild. Let us know what you think.
NOTE: We're trying a few new things out in this build. Some will be awesome; some, we'll want to change. Let us know what you like and feel we could improve.