Uplink > General Discussions > Topic Details
BloomingLilac Dec 12, 2013 @ 12:26am
Any tips for a n00b?
I just got the game from GOG because I was hoping I could add some mods. The font's so hard to read. Too bad I didn't just pick it up from Introversion's site because it's the same build as Steam's version, and the two mods I tried didn't work.

So, anyway, I'm already frustrated by the tiny text and I keep getting traced after I finish a couple of missions. How do I go about erasing my logins while I'm watching the trace tracker and copying/deleting files? I get caught even if I disconnect before the trace goes all the way through and end up paying fines. Am I supposed to log out of InterNic before I terminate the connection?

I really like this game. Any help will be appreciated.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
catch me... Dec 12, 2013 @ 6:58am 
without quide very difficult. i hope i can help with this link:

http://guide.modlink.net/section1.php

and have fun :-)
BloomingLilac Dec 12, 2013 @ 8:15am 
Thanks a million! :-)
Gabeux Dec 12, 2013 @ 3:12pm 
The best fun in this game is discovering things for yourself.
However, knowing that the INTERNIC is the greatest first node available, already helps a lot.
Also, it's best to do many missions and get the HUD upgrade (Analyzer) and bypassers as soon as you can (in other words, don't waste time getting high level firewall/proxy disablers, etc).

And..hacking a bank to find an account full of credits (or "ocasionally" finding one) can simply bring in everything you would want to buy in the game. But it's much more awesome figuring out how to do that.

I still remember when I did that years ago and how that blew my mind :)
In the first time, I got caught. But meh, anyways, it's part of the fun.
BloomingLilac Dec 12, 2013 @ 3:35pm 
Originally posted by Gabeux:
The best fun in this game is discovering things for yourself.
However, knowing that the INTERNIC is the greatest first node available, already helps a lot.
Also, it's best to do many missions and get the HUD upgrade (Analyzer) and bypassers as soon as you can (in other words, don't waste time getting high level firewall/proxy disablers, etc).

And..hacking a bank to find an account full of credits (or "ocasionally" finding one) can simply bring in everything you would want to buy in the game. But it's much more awesome figuring out how to do that.

I still remember when I did that years ago and how that blew my mind :)
In the first time, I got caught. But meh, anyways, it's part of the fun.

Thanks for the tips. I was just confused because I'm bouncing from InterNIC to the Uplink Public Server and several other connections, as the tutorial instructed, but the Trace Tracker will only get to maybe 40-60% and then when I disconnect, I immediately get an email stating that I was caught hacking into a company's database. I'm just not understanding why some companies can trace me that quickly when I was able to disconnect early on other contracts without a problem.

I read that you're supposed to delete your login activity, but the tutorial doesn't explain how to do that. I've already purchased the Dictionary password cracker software, which is faster than the default software, and I'm still getting caught. I'll keep trying, but as I said, I'm having a hard time playing because the text is so tiny. It takes me a bit longer to read everything.
Cade Dec 13, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
As the uplink guide notes, make sure you delete relevant logs from InterNIC (Routed entries and authenticated entries); you only have to remove the last hop from their server back to you in order to prevent them tracking you down. (Don't bother wasting time removing logs from the target server)
insomnia_ftw Dec 14, 2013 @ 9:47pm 
Originally posted by BloomingLilac:

I read that you're supposed to delete your login activity, but the tutorial doesn't explain how to do that. I've already purchased the Dictionary password cracker software, which is faster than the default software, and I'm still getting caught. I'll keep trying, but as I said, I'm having a hard time playing because the text is so tiny. It takes me a bit longer to read everything.

Buy a log deleter from the store. When you hack a computer click on "admin" and you should see "view logs" after that. Then you use the log deleter on each entry that shows your ip.
Dalimyr Dec 16, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
Originally posted by insomnia_ftw:
Buy a log deleter from the store. When you hack a computer click on "admin" and you should see "view logs" after that. Then you use the log deleter on each entry that shows your ip.
As stated in the post above you, don't bother wasting time on that. By the time you've deleted the logs on the target machine, they've already gone through a few of your bounces. Deleting logs at InterNIC (ones that show you bounced a connection from X to Y, and ones that show you successfully logged in as admin so you could delete the logs) is all you need to do.


Originally posted by BloomingLilac:
I was just confused because I'm bouncing from InterNIC to the Uplink Public Server and several other connections, as the tutorial instructed, but the Trace Tracker will only get to maybe 40-60% and then when I disconnect, I immediately get an email stating that I was caught hacking into a company's database. I'm just not understanding why some companies can trace me that quickly when I was able to disconnect early on other contracts without a problem.

I read that you're supposed to delete your login activity, but the tutorial doesn't explain how to do that. I've already purchased the Dictionary password cracker software, which is faster than the default software, and I'm still getting caught. I'll keep trying, but as I said, I'm having a hard time playing because the text is so tiny. It takes me a bit longer to read everything.
Erm...what missions are you having trouble with? I can't quite figure out how far through you're getting before you're running into problems - based on things in the first paragraph, I'm torn between thinking you're up to the social security database hacks or you're trying to hack banks. You're obviously advancing through the early copy/delete single file missions because they don't passively trace you, but I can't work out how much further you're getting.



I said in another thread a couple of weeks ago that I'd offer to make a tutorial video if anyone wanted it. I was kind of holding off until Christmas or my birthday (a few days later) because I'm getting a new headset and microphone, but I can push that vid forward and try to get it done this week (maybe tomorrow if I have time, otherwise probably Thursday). It'll cover the basics, some of the not-so-basics and hopefully be useful to yourself and other newbies struggling to get to grips with the game for one reason or another.
BloomingLilac Dec 16, 2013 @ 4:07pm 
Originally posted by Dalimyr:
Originally posted by insomnia_ftw:
Buy a log deleter from the store. When you hack a computer click on "admin" and you should see "view logs" after that. Then you use the log deleter on each entry that shows your ip.
As stated in the post above you, don't bother wasting time on that. By the time you've deleted the logs on the target machine, they've already gone through a few of your bounces. Deleting logs at InterNIC (ones that show you bounced a connection from X to Y, and ones that show you successfully logged in as admin so you could delete the logs) is all you need to do.


Originally posted by BloomingLilac:
I was just confused because I'm bouncing from InterNIC to the Uplink Public Server and several other connections, as the tutorial instructed, but the Trace Tracker will only get to maybe 40-60% and then when I disconnect, I immediately get an email stating that I was caught hacking into a company's database. I'm just not understanding why some companies can trace me that quickly when I was able to disconnect early on other contracts without a problem.

I read that you're supposed to delete your login activity, but the tutorial doesn't explain how to do that. I've already purchased the Dictionary password cracker software, which is faster than the default software, and I'm still getting caught. I'll keep trying, but as I said, I'm having a hard time playing because the text is so tiny. It takes me a bit longer to read everything.
Erm...what missions are you having trouble with? I can't quite figure out how far through you're getting before you're running into problems - based on things in the first paragraph, I'm torn between thinking you're up to the social security database hacks or you're trying to hack banks. You're obviously advancing through the early copy/delete single file missions because they don't passively trace you, but I can't work out how much further you're getting.



I said in another thread a couple of weeks ago that I'd offer to make a tutorial video if anyone wanted it. I was kind of holding off until Christmas or my birthday (a few days later) because I'm getting a new headset and microphone, but I can push that vid forward and try to get it done this week (maybe tomorrow if I have time, otherwise probably Thursday). It'll cover the basics, some of the not-so-basics and hopefully be useful to yourself and other newbies struggling to get to grips with the game for one reason or another.

Hi. First of all, thank you for offering to do a video tutorial. That would be fantastic, and no doubt it would help other players. I've been reading the guide that I was linked to in the first reply to this thread.

I was having problems at the start of the game after playing the tutorial. It was frustrating because I kept getting caught, having to pay 1,000 credits to avoid prosecution, and almost getting caught, then abandoning certain missions because of it. My rank was being reduced to beginner for failing jobs, and I rage quit a few times. I've tried to stick to deleting/sabotaging files as that seems quicker (for me) than copying files and/or hacking into universities to adjust academic records. I've received the email from the agent regarding ARC, but I haven't focused on them yet.

After I completed a few jobs during my current playthrough, I invested in Trace Tracker v. 3 and upgraded my processor. Now that I can actually see a time limit before I'm traced, I haven't had trouble. Not sure if that's what changed or if I was just unlucky the first few times. When I disconnect, I see a message that my login and password were removed from some companies' systems, but I can still hack them again with the upgrades. I've probably done 5 to 6 jobs successfully. Now I'll use the log deleter on InterNIC (thanks to incade's suggestion above) and hopefully prevent traces in the future. I just didn't understand which system logs to delete until incade posted that I only needed to worry about InterNIC.

If I have any more issues, I will post here, or at least check this thread for a link to your video. No rush, though. Thanks again!
Don Jan 13 @ 7:19am 
Alright... I've seen people post on here that you just have to add -graphics_fullscreen to the path to make it windowed... but the Steam version doesn't allow you to do that... Any advice?
Ryan Paul Fialcowitz Jan 17 @ 3:16pm 
Originally posted by Don:
Alright... I've seen people post on here that you just have to add -graphics_fullscreen to the path to make it windowed... but the Steam version doesn't allow you to do that... Any advice?

Right click on a game in your library and select properties. You'll then be on the General tab where this is a button to Set Launch Options, which is what you want to do.

- Ryan Paul Fialcowitz
Minoriko Aki Jan 23 @ 12:39pm 
Right, I see you had a few problems regarding logs. For this, I'll assume your connection looks like this:

Localhost (Gateway, 127.0.0.1) -> InterNIC -> About 15 or so bounces -> Remotehost

So you get a mission, say you go delete a database or something. You do your job there, and then you disconnect. Don't bother with any administrator logs over there. Then make a direct connection (from your home screen) to InterNIC, get past the password screen, go to access logs and delete only these two logs:

'Connection from 127.0.0.1 routed to [IP of next bounce]' and 'From 127.0.0.1 : Password authentication accepted'.

So should any NPC Hacker or the feds be going through your bounces, the path is cold by the time they reach InterNIC. They never know you did it and you get off free.

Make sure to clear your criminal record if you get any convictions you need to get rid of. That is, hack the Global Criminal Database, search for yourself, and clear your record. Employers will allow you to negotiate prices again if you do so. Just remember to clear your logs - you're disavowed if you get caught hackingthe GCD.
BloomingLilac Jan 28 @ 2:09pm 
Originally posted by Minoriko Aki:
Right, I see you had a few problems regarding logs. For this, I'll assume your connection looks like this:

Localhost (Gateway, 127.0.0.1) -> InterNIC -> About 15 or so bounces -> Remotehost

So you get a mission, say you go delete a database or something. You do your job there, and then you disconnect. Don't bother with any administrator logs over there. Then make a direct connection (from your home screen) to InterNIC, get past the password screen, go to access logs and delete only these two logs:

'Connection from 127.0.0.1 routed to [IP of next bounce]' and 'From 127.0.0.1 : Password authentication accepted'.

So should any NPC Hacker or the feds be going through your bounces, the path is cold by the time they reach InterNIC. They never know you did it and you get off free.

Make sure to clear your criminal record if you get any convictions you need to get rid of. That is, hack the Global Criminal Database, search for yourself, and clear your record. Employers will allow you to negotiate prices again if you do so. Just remember to clear your logs - you're disavowed if you get caught hackingthe GCD.


Thank you. I truly appreciate your help! :-)
c00kedch!cken Feb 9 @ 1:24pm 
You have to hack the admin section of interNIC and delete your access logs. delete all password authenications, 127.0.0.1 routed to and make sure you always have a connection established and a connection closed (You will leave a connection closed when you disconnect)

Hope it helps :)
Nurgle523 Mar 14 @ 6:39am 
Originally posted by c00kedch!cken:
You have to hack the admin section of interNIC and delete your access logs. delete all password authenications, 127.0.0.1 routed to and make sure you always have a connection established and a connection closed (You will leave a connection closed when you disconnect)

Hope it helps :)

This one tip is the wizard behind the curtain. Bounce from INTERNic first, then whatever else, do your job, delete whatever you find necessary but leave a log in and log out. You log out and can't change that. So deleting your log in looks WEIRD.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50