Swiftpaw Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:38am
[SOLVED] Cannot remove mods from Killing Floor
I have tried "delete local content" and made sureSteamApps/common/KillingFloor was deleted, but even though I have all my subscriptions removed, those maps and mods I previously subscribed to are still present in the game. This is an annoying issue for me as it seems to be preventing me from unlocking achievements.

Anyone else experiencing this? Running Linux version.

---------------------

UPDATE: Solved by deleting files in ~/.killingfloor.
Last edited by Swiftpaw; Dec 14, 2013 @ 4:49am
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:31pm 
If you delete your whole Killing Floor folder then you will delete the whole game. They won't stop you from leveling up however because only mutators will stop you from doing that. You can level on any map so long as the server has perk leveling enabled and you have disabled all greylisted mutators.
Swiftpaw Feb 24, 2013 @ 4:09pm 
Thanks for the reply but as I said, and I just tried again, removing ~/Steam/SteamApps/common/KillingFloor doesn't work. All the mutators and maps I downloaded are all there still. I have no idea where these mod files are located but somehow they are sticking around somewhere. Even searching for map names doesn't reveal them. Other than completely wiping all trace of Steam I'm not sure what to do and wondered if anyone else had experienced this.
Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Feb 25, 2013 @ 12:26am 
Maps are located in your Killing Floor folder in Steam. So Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/Maps
It should be called KF-"________"

Not sure where your other mods would be loacted however
Swiftpaw Feb 25, 2013 @ 7:22pm 
Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
Maps are located in your Killing Floor folder in Steam. So Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/Maps
It should be called KF-"________"

Not sure where your other mods would be loacted however
None of the mod maps from subscribing are there which makes sense since deleting the whole KF folder doesn't remove any subscription content. I'm going to completely reinstall Steam soon to see if that fixes it, though if subscriptions always behave this way that is really annoying.

You don't have this problem of subscription content staying around after unsubscribing? ^^
Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Feb 26, 2013 @ 1:30am 
I've personally never unsubscribed from mods since they don't seem to be causing a problem for me. I was about to say maybe if you're still subscribed to them maybe when you redownload Killing Floor it redownloads the mods again, I know the DLC works ina similar way that they're all on your computer and buying them simply unlocks them for you to use, but since you've unsubscribed that can't be the case. You could always try searching your Killing Floor folder for the files using the search function. If not then reinstalling steam may be your only option but I don't think that will work since it's probably tied to your account regardless whether you uninstall Steam or not.
MRU Feb 26, 2013 @ 1:47am 
Mutators are located in your Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system folder. Also you can which mutators you want to enable when starting a server.
Swiftpaw Feb 27, 2013 @ 2:16pm 
Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
I've personally never unsubscribed from mods since they don't seem to be causing a problem for me. I was about to say maybe if you're still subscribed to them maybe when you redownload Killing Floor it redownloads the mods again, I know the DLC works ina similar way that they're all on your computer and buying them simply unlocks them for you to use, but since you've unsubscribed that can't be the case. You could always try searching your Killing Floor folder for the files using the search function. If not then reinstalling steam may be your only option but I don't think that will work since it's probably tied to your account regardless whether you uninstall Steam or not.

I don't like maps cluttering up my map list for one thing, especially not the maps that I don't want anymore and aren't very good. It makes it more difficult when trying to get the achievements for playing maps on harder difficulties since those are only available for the maps Tripwire made and not the community-made ones.

Originally posted by MRU:
Mutators are located in your Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system folder. Also you can which mutators you want to enable when starting a server.

I only had one mutator and that folder has a bunch so I'm not sure which one it is, but I subscribed and then unsubscribed from a bunch of maps, so it's very easy to tell that they are not located in ~/Steam/SteamApps/common/KillingFloor/Maps. I've done a search over my entire computer and can't find where they remain, even after deleting KillingFloor.

In other words, the maps (and mutator) do not appear to be anywhere on my system, yet they are there in the game, almost like they are being used from a download cache folder with weird names so I can't identify them. Time to re-install Steam I guess!
Bigguns 93 Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:04pm 
If you delete your entirle Killing Floor system folder then verify game cache, it rebuilds that entire folder and sets it back to the default settings. If you are subscribed to the maps / mutators through the Workshops, they will automatically download again as soon as you are done verifying your game cache.

Go in and cancel any subscriptions first. Then delete the system folder, then verify game cache. If you go to any server that is running a custom map, they will download it again as well.

Last edited by Bigguns 93; Feb 27, 2013 @ 4:06pm
Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Feb 27, 2013 @ 6:55pm 
Originally posted by Bigguns 93:
If you delete your entirle Killing Floor system folder then verify game cache, it rebuilds that entire folder and sets it back to the default settings. If you are subscribed to the maps / mutators through the Workshops, they will automatically download again as soon as you are done verifying your game cache.

Go in and cancel any subscriptions first. Then delete the system folder, then verify game cache. If you go to any server that is running a custom map, they will download it again as well.

Thankyou, that's what I was trying to say here:

Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
maybe if you're still subscribed to them maybe when you redownload Killing Floor it redownloads the mods again
Swiftpaw Feb 27, 2013 @ 7:09pm 
FIXED.

Finally!!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help! However it turns out the problem wasn't anything messed up in the main KF binary folder. I swore I checked before, but I just looked again and my problem was this:

~/.killingfloor (notice the dot, meaning a hidden folder in Linux for those who don't know)

The entire time all user configurations and extra content like mods and mutilators were stored there, and because I didn't delete them, they stuck around. Deleting the folder (or just the individual maps or mutilators from it) fixed the problem. Hopefully this will help anyone else having the same problem and confusion.

Something tells me that mods not being removed after unsubscribing from them was either a bug during the beta or KF or Steam just doesn't have that feature yet. My guess is "subscribing" is a button to turn on downloading of content, and "unsubscribing" just turns off the downloading of that content, but it doesn't remove it from being enabled in the game or touch the files at all. Others can test that theory if they want (and I will find out in the future) but for now I'm just happy to have a clean map list back again with only the maps that give achievements visible.

They really should have a better separation, maybe some filters, something...perhaps they will for KF2 if they ever make it.

Hopefully Tripwire will also stop calling character models "packs" when they only contain one model, and stop charging ridiculous prices for them too, but that's another subject. XD
Last edited by Swiftpaw; Feb 27, 2013 @ 7:31pm
Rognvald Mar 31, 2013 @ 10:44am 
Where exactly did you find that /.killingfloor folder, Swiftpaw? I've been trying to clean out my KF install because some mods didn't download properly, but even though I unsubscribed from everything, deleted the game, and reinstalled, they're still causing problems. I'd love to know where you found this folder!
Swiftpaw Mar 31, 2013 @ 9:18pm 
Originally posted by Rognvald:
Where exactly did you find that /.killingfloor folder, Swiftpaw? I've been trying to clean out my KF install because some mods didn't download properly, but even though I unsubscribed from everything, deleted the game, and reinstalled, they're still causing problems. I'd love to know where you found this folder!
Notice the tilda, as well as the dot -> ~/.killingfloor
Tilda means the user's home directory/folder, so reveal hidden files in your home folder and look for .killingfloor and nuke it - or maybe deleting just the mod files you want gone might work too.
Last edited by Swiftpaw; Mar 31, 2013 @ 9:19pm
Rognvald Mar 31, 2013 @ 11:18pm 
Thanks for the quick response, feel a little silly that I hadn't tried the "reveal hidden folders" thing..but not as silly as I feel now that I look back at the topic and realize you guys are talking about Linux. I'm on Windows 7 and I'm still not figuring out why Steam thinks these mods downloaded correctly when they didn't, but thanks all the same for your advice.
Dosh Apr 1, 2013 @ 2:15am 
to remove all modifications from your game you unsub all the workshop mods then re install. there should be nothing left.
Swiftpaw Apr 1, 2013 @ 12:39pm 
Originally posted by Dosh:
to remove all modifications from your game you unsub all the workshop mods then re install. there should be nothing left.
Apparently you must mean in Windows or OS X? Because that isn't true in Linux. Whatever Steam is doing to remove KF in Linux is not removing the user data along with the game binaries.

Originally posted by Rognvald:
Thanks for the quick response, feel a little silly that I hadn't tried the "reveal hidden folders" thing..but not as silly as I feel now that I look back at the topic and realize you guys are talking about Linux. I'm on Windows 7 and I'm still not figuring out why Steam thinks these mods downloaded correctly when they didn't, but thanks all the same for your advice.
If this problem is happening in Windows too then Windows must also not be removing KF user data upon a reinstall, at least in your case. I'd search in your Windows user folder for hidden user data for KF, should be in the same area as other game saves are kept in. You could also try a search perhaps as long as it dug into hidden folders.

Also make sure your KF app folder in Program Files and/or inside your steamapp folder really is getting deleted when you uninstall KF.
Last edited by Swiftpaw; Apr 1, 2013 @ 12:42pm
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:38am
Posts: 17