Ron Dec 28, 2012 @ 6:59pm
FreeIsaac - Play WotL separately - Golden God bug fixed!
Thanks to ./DosBoss/'s launcher for inspiration..

Update: Version 2.0b released 7/23/2013

Subscribe to this thread for updates

I am one of those people that recently bought the new Humble Bundle. The version of BoI that comes with the Humble Bundle, includes the DLC, which apparently makes it harder. Me, being a Binding of Isaac noob, as well as a bit of a perfectionist, didn't like this very much.

I stumbled upon ./DosBoss/'s Launcher after a bit of googling, and it was nice, helped me restore the original version, it was functional, and did it's job well, but the UI was a bit out of place, so I rewrote it.

This version is written in C# and uses WPF, and requires .NET 4.0, you probably already have this installed.

Achievements and such, have been tested, as a side note, the installer also includes the option to install 1nvisible~'s achievement fix.

Installation is simple, choose where Binding of Isaac is installed, select if you want the achievement fix or not, and it'll check to make sure you have the Wrath of the Lamb DLC installed, restore the Vanilla version, and install the launcher.

The launcher will only install if you have Wrath of the Lamb installed
If you don't have WotL, what are you doing reading this thread, go play Binding of Isaac!


Here is a screenshot of the launcher[punyman.com].

If you encounter any bugs, feel free to tell me, the launcher should be pretty bug free though.


Downloads

2.0 Beta (Fixes achievements accidentally unlocking i.e. Golden God bug)
Download from my website[punyman.com]


Upgrading from 1.0 to 2.0

Backup your existing "the binding of isaac" folder before upgrading!!
Go into the "the binding of isaac" folder, and run "uninstall.exe" to uninstall the existing installation. Choose to keep Wrath of The Lamb. Afterwards, verify the game cache with Steam, and disable Steam Cloud for The Binding of Isaac (Properties > Updates > Steam Cloud) then install version 2.0

Changes
Version 2.0 includes support to isolate save files from different versions of The Binding of Isaac. This means that achievements and stats in both the vanilla Binding of Isaac and Wrath of The Lamb are kept separate. This fixes the bug where achievements are accidentally unlocked due to incompatibilities between WotL and vanilla BoI. Steam achievements should still be unlocked between them, however, because save files are kept separate, achievements may not show in the achievements screen in-game. For example.
if you unlock an achievement in vanilla BoI, it will show in the vanilla BoI in-game achievements screen, your Steam profile, but not in the WotL achievement screen, and vice versa.

Save isolation works by exploiting the way Binding of Isaac saves it's data, it does so twice. The first is in the serial.txt file located in the same directory as the BoI executable, and the second is the in so.sol shared cache file. As far as I know, only the Windows and OSX versions of Binding of Isaac write the serial.txt file, therefore, this does not work on Linux or the pure SWF file. The launcher blocks Binding of Isaac from accessing the so.sol file, forcing it to read and save from serial.txt instead. This breaks Steam Cloud saving.

(Links are shortened with Google and ow.ly to track how many times it's been downloaded, if you prefer direct links, Version 1.0[punyman.com], and Version 2.0[punyman.com])

Anyone having trouble selecting the install path, please redownload the installer, the issue has been fixed

Just in case (You probably don't need to download this)
.NET Framework 4 Web Installer[www.microsoft.com] (Download this if you're getting errors about missing .NET Framework)

Source Code
The source code is available here at GitHub[github.com] and is licensed under GNU GPL v3.

Uninstallation
If at any time you want to uninstall the launcher, go into where Binding of Isaac was installed, and run uninstall.exe. Choose whether you want to keep Wrath of the Lamb or Vanilla, and it will uninstall for you

OSX/Linux versions
Because this makes use of WPF, which hasn't been ported to Mono yet, the only way for this to be ported over is if the UI code is completely redesigned in C++. The existing XAML is useless for porting, and has to be rewritten in C++. Unfortunately, I know zero C++ (hoping to learn though), but I've left the source code in case anyone wants to take on the challenge.

Thanks to..
./DosBoss/ for the original launcher
1nvisible~ for coding the achievements fix

Play Battlefield 3? Check out Battlelogium , it makes BF3 work great with Steam.

**Note: The Installer Executable does not allow you to pirate Binding of Isaac. It only contains the binary differences between vanilla and Wrath of the Lamb. An original copy of the Wrath of the Lamb EXE is required for the patch to be successful

**Note: FreeIsaac does not contain code from ./DosBoss/'s Binding of Isaac Launcher. The source code is completely written from scratch
Last edited by Ron; Mar 9 @ 2:22pm
Showing 1-15 of 58 comments
< >
alexandrite` Dec 28, 2012 @ 7:38pm 
any risk or a ban hammer?
Ron Dec 28, 2012 @ 7:55pm 
Originally posted by λℓєxαи∂яιȶє❥2020:
any risk or a ban hammer?
I posted the virus scan results, as well as the source code for you to build yourself if you feel unsafe with my downloads.

EDIT: I've just added manual install instructions to the GitHub, if you wish to do so that way.

If the mods want me to take it down, a PM will suffice, and it'll be down shortly after.
Last edited by Ron; Dec 28, 2012 @ 8:01pm
Nomaly Dec 29, 2012 @ 9:00am 
Originally posted by Ron:
Try out my launcher, made it pretty much because I bought the HiB version. It'll install for standalone, as long as you have the Wrath of the Lamb EXE.

Does that means it should work on the HiB 7 Isaac.exe? Or does it use the steam version to make a non-steam standalone?

Btw, the "choose install path" button doesn't actually let you choose a path (just does same thing as Next button).
Last edited by Nomaly; Dec 29, 2012 @ 9:01am
Ron Dec 29, 2012 @ 11:38am 
Originally posted by Nomaly:
Originally posted by Ron:
Try out my launcher, made it pretty much because I bought the HiB version. It'll install for standalone, as long as you have the Wrath of the Lamb EXE.

Does that means it should work on the HiB 7 Isaac.exe? Or does it use the steam version to make a non-steam standalone?

Btw, the "choose install path" button doesn't actually let you choose a path (just does same thing as Next button).
There isn't a difference between the Steam version and the HiB version, except the Steam version comes with FlashAchievements.exe, which allows achievements, I'll fix the installer in a sec, it'll take a bit for it to upload though.
Nomaly Dec 29, 2012 @ 3:42pm 
Thanks for making this! Forgot to say that before.

It looks like the new version worked, though it did crash at the end. But I think it did everything it was supposed to. Gave exe's for Isaac_Vanilla, Isaac_WotL, uninstall, and vanilla ran fine when I tested it.

The crash was with xdelta.exe, Fault Module Name: nvinit.dll_unloaded, if that's of any use to you.
Ron Dec 29, 2012 @ 6:26pm 
Originally posted by Nomaly:
Thanks for making this! Forgot to say that before.

It looks like the new version worked, though it did crash at the end. But I think it did everything it was supposed to. Gave exe's for Isaac_Vanilla, Isaac_WotL, uninstall, and vanilla ran fine when I tested it.

The crash was with xdelta.exe, Fault Module Name: nvinit.dll_unloaded, if that's of any use to you.
Odd crash, seems to have something to do with Nvidia drivers, not sure why that happened. xdelta is the patching utility that I use to patch Wrath of the Lamb back to vanilla.

But glad you enjoy!
Last edited by Ron; Dec 29, 2012 @ 6:27pm
Fazer [PL] Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:50pm 
Thanks for the launcher, man! Maybe now I'll be able to beat vanilla version.
Ron Jan 2, 2013 @ 11:29am 
Originally posted by Fazer PL:
Thanks for the launcher, man! Maybe now I'll be able to beat vanilla version.

Thanks, good luck and have fun!

The vanilla version, in my opinion, is much easier than Wrath of the Lamb, I almost beat vanilla once :)
Pooka Mustard™ Jan 2, 2013 @ 1:09pm 
Thank you very much, my friend. I traded some of my TF2 items and a Dota 2 for Binding of Isaac, and ended up with the... DLC... DosBoss's for some reason makes my Steam go "The game is currently unavailable", so I went to yours. The GUI also looks like a professional one. Neat work. Keep it up!
Ron Jan 2, 2013 @ 4:36pm 
Originally posted by Pooka Mustard:
Thank you very much, my friend. I traded some of my TF2 items and a Dota 2 for Binding of Isaac, and ended up with the... DLC... DosBoss's for some reason makes my Steam go "The game is currently unavailable", so I went to yours. The GUI also looks like a professional one. Neat work. Keep it up!

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into making the GUI look nice.
Rachel ♥ Jan 3, 2013 @ 7:28am 
I had played BoI at a friends house a while ago and always wanted my own copy. I bought it during a Steam Flash Sale with Soundtrack and WotL DLC. I played the game a bit and then hunted for "Original" mode. You sir have made my day! I really do appreciate the effort that you put into making this patcher. Thank you for your hard work!
Demaeter Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:29pm 
Can I use this to get the achievements for not getting damaged? I beat ??? with everyone and im missing those achievements and a couple of items for Platinum God but it looks just imposible for me to beat it without getting hit (well not imposible but really hard).

Will it screw my unlocked secrets or something?
Ron Jan 4, 2013 @ 11:50am 
Originally posted by Kaptein Tramtrut:
I had played BoI at a friends house a while ago and always wanted my own copy. I bought it during a Steam Flash Sale with Soundtrack and WotL DLC. I played the game a bit and then hunted for "Original" mode. You sir have made my day! I really do appreciate the effort that you put into making this patcher. Thank you for your hard work!

No problem, the actual patching part was easy to implement (xdelta is a very useful tool)


Originally posted by Demaeter:
Can I use this to get the achievements for not getting damaged? I beat ??? with everyone and im missing those achievements and a couple of items for Platinum God but it looks just imposible for me to beat it without getting hit (well not imposible but really hard).

Will it screw my unlocked secrets or something?

The launcher itself will not affect your achievements, the achievement fix will only do help you get achievements you already unlocked ingame registered to Steam. It will not help you cheat. There are other ways, if you want to cheat.
[HWU][ESGAA] - P0nz - Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:07am 
since I've played quite a lot with WotL, will this launcher affect in any way (=corrupt or damage) my save file?
Sgt. Drake Alexander Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:55am 
Thanks a bunch for this man.
Showing 1-15 of 58 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 28, 2012 @ 6:59pm
Posts: 58